Thievery with a twist

/ Thievery with a twist #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
I hate thiefs. And trespassers.
Unfortunately, my wife recently informed me that my BIL's nice moultrie game camera was stolen a few days ago. BIL and FIL have a few food plots and hunt on my acreage in Ohio. It was set up in the woods almost in the middle of 62 acres....with only 1 primary access road.
Here's the twist.....they went to the property the next day and saw some newer fresh tire tracks, and found a license plate.....looks like it was snagged by some brush and torn off. What could the chances be???
We're thinking they realized they lost the plate, and went back to try and find it.
I've been purposely holding off on opening up the main trail to the future homesite for the reason of discouraging anyone from easily driving back into it. It's kind of a tight fit in a few places.
So....waiting for a meeting with the sheriff and will see what happens.....
Bad thing is, I'm still overseas for another month...so family has to deal with it.
Be interesting to see what becomes of it!

/ Thievery with a twist #3  
Good luck. Sucks to have something like that happen, and even more frustrating to find out who it is, but unable to do anything about it. Hopefully the police are able prove it was them, and arrests them!!!!!!

Eddie

/ Thievery with a twist #4  
Maybe the Police can track the plate to the vehicle and owner and find the camera with pictures of the thief stealing it still in it. Nothing like good solid evidence to prosecute a trespassing thief with.

I just don't know why people cant leave other folks stuff alone!

/ Thievery with a twist #5  
Or, the license plate is a plant to throw LE off the trail.

Couple of weeks ago local LE stopped a vehicle for speeding, and the license plate number check came back "stolen vehicle". On further checking, LEO found the license plate number did not match the VIN number of the stopped vehicle. Turns out, a thief had switched the license plate from a stolen vehicle with the license plate on the same make and model vehicle without the owner noticing the switch. Thus the thief was driving around in a vehicle with a license plate that did not show up on a "stolen vehicle" check, but the innocent owner was.

How many of us would notice that our license plate number had changed while we were at the mall? It's an old trick that's been around since license plates were first required. I guess most folks here have not been to a school for thieves (called prison by the general population).

/ Thievery with a twist #6  
Or, the license plate is a plant to throw LE off the trail.

How many of us would notice that our license plate number had changed while we were at the mall? It's an old trick that's been around since license plates were first required. I guess most folks here have not been to a school for thieves (called prison by the general population).

THANK YOU for justifying my custom Lic Plates!!!!

David

/ Thievery with a twist #7  
I generally try to use at least 2 different screw or bolt heads on the plates, and if possible, put double (2) tightened nuts on the back of the threads - it would at least take some extra time to get them off.

/ Thievery with a twist #8  
I have read several stories on the hunting forums where deer lease equipment has been stolen, feeders, stands and game cams. It's amazing that an idiot would risk getting caught over stuff like that. Also shows how low someone can go to steel hunting stuff, like it is a necessity.

I hope your family finds out who and the scum gets there arse where it belongs.

/ Thievery with a twist #9  
Unfortunately based on my experience with trespassers and vandals on our farm , finding the license plate won''t do any good. In my case the deputy sheriff said I had to have actually seen the person and be able to identify them even though we knew it was the next door neighbor..he had cut the fence between our property and his and there was no way anyone else could have done it...You really have to catch them red handed or on video and my experience has also been that the LEOs just look at these kind of complaints as an aggravation.

/ Thievery with a twist #10  
Unfortunately based on my experience with trespassers and vandals on our farm , finding the license plate won''t do any good. In my case the deputy sheriff said I had to have actually seen the person and be able to identify them even though we knew it was the next door neighbor..he had cut the fence between our property and his and there was no way anyone else could have done it...You really have to catch them red handed or on video and my experience has also been that the LEOs just look at these kind of complaints as an aggravation.

Sad, but true. We have called the game warden a couple of times about poachers but the standard answer is you have to have proof.

On a hunting forum I visit some one did get good picture from a hidden camera of poachers in action killing and cleaning a deer right in front of the camera. Several clear pictures of the 2 guys. Turned the pictures over to the game warden and they are on the lookout for them.

Best bet would be to buy several of the cheaper game camera's and hide them around the trails where you can get clear pictures without them noticing.