Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #11  
I retired a few years ago, so don't know what brand they are running now. In the past, we used Toyo and Cooper. Five or six years ago, my son drove for a dirt contractor, pulling an end dump trailer. It had two tag axles that ran 17.5 tires. I'm not sure of the make, but they held up well.

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #12  
Member LinemanNorthFlorida (I think that is right) bought a Gatormade trailer a few years ago. He opted for 17.5 tires and is (the last I knew) very happy with it. 17.5 tires are commercial truck tires with ratings to 6000#. In my opinion, much better than duals.

I agree, I am running two dump trailers with the 17.5's, they hold up well, even the chi-com's. One is 16k the other is 22k and I load them up, lots of off highway rough rocky roads. The 16k has 4800lb tires and the 22k has the 6k tires. 20k plus miles on the 16k and 10k plus on the 22k.

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #13  
I retired a few years ago, so don't know what brand they are running now. In the past, we used Toyo and Cooper. Five or six years ago, my son drove for a dirt contractor, pulling an end dump trailer. It had two tag axles that ran 17.5 tires. I'm not sure of the make, but they held up well.

I would think most of these would do the job well if price tag means anything. I would also assume at least some are made here. Most are out of my price range:D

Rickson Wheel Manufacturing

Rickson Wheel Manufacturing

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #14  
I agree, I am running two dump trailers with the 17.5's, they hold up well, even the chi-com's. One is 16k the other is 22k and I load them up, lots of off highway rough rocky roads. The 16k has 4800lb tires and the 22k has the 6k tires. 20k plus miles on the 16k and 10k plus on the 22k.
For what we did and the roads we traveled (dirt, gravel, mud) duals could often be a real pain. Mud and rocks get between the tires and wheels and we just preferred running singles. Plus, cost per mile was better and frequency of tire problems reduced with 17.5 tires over 16" tires. If you really want to put something to the test, send it to the oil patch and see how it holds up. I know you put your trailers through the paces, as well, so you have to consider overall costs.

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #15  
You have to have a WIDE approach at the end of your driveway for a 30' GN.

Even though its only 8' longer the simple fact that its a GN is a game changer. It cuts corners WAY shorter and doesnt track the truck as well as a BP when making a tight turn.

Everyone always says GN trailers are more maneuverable....well....yes and no. You can turn a GN around in a much tighter spot with being able to jackknife.....sure. But if you got a standard driveway made for car and truck traffic.....where a bumper pull would follow you in the drive nicely.....a GN is gonna be off the drive turning in. Which is bad if you have a road ditch, and culverts, etc.

For a standard rural road, you really need a driveway approach as wide as the trailer is long. Otherwise the trailer tires or the truck tires are gonna be off the driveway

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #16  
You have to have a WIDE approach at the end of your driveway for a 30' GN.

Even though its only 8' longer the simple fact that its a GN is a game changer. It cuts corners WAY shorter and doesnt track the truck as well as a BP when making a tight turn.

Everyone always says GN trailers are more maneuverable....well....yes and no. You can turn a GN around in a much tighter spot with being able to jackknife.....sure. But if you got a standard driveway made for car and truck traffic.....where a bumper pull would follow you in the drive nicely.....a GN is gonna be off the drive turning in. Which is bad if you have a road ditch, and culverts, etc.

For a standard rural road, you really need a driveway approach as wide as the trailer is long. Otherwise the trailer tires or the truck tires are gonna be off the driveway

Truth right there.

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #17  
Truth right there.

A GN definitely handles better especially when you’re maxing the tow rating but I agree a BP definitely trails tighter.

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #18  
A GN definitely handles better especially when you’re maxing the tow rating but I agree a BP definitely trails tighter.

For heavy hauling, GN all the way!!!

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #19  
For heavy hauling, GN all the way!!!

Except I don’t have a truck with a GN ball. The 6500 handles a load fine but a ton truck wouldn’t have any steering loaded like that. IMG_8754.JPG

/ Thinking about a new Gooseneck trailer #20  
You Sir, are an exception. :)