Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over.

/ Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over. #1  

Timber

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
We are having our tax free weekend here in Massachusetts. I think I'm going to pick up a winch for the trailer at tractor supply or northern tool. Either a 6000 or 8000 lb winch. Any thoughts or opinions.

/ Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over. #2  
I have a $99 4000# winch I bought through Rural King.com 8 or so years ago. Its never failed to pull what will fit on my 7000# 18' trailer. Its pull well over 50 things up, largest was a Suburban and a 45 HP tractor with a FEL.

I think 8K is overkill for a 7K trailer. Especially if you use a snatch block. Remember, ratings are dead pull, not rolling.

Chris

/ Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over.
I was looking at the badland 6000 lb winch at northern freight today. I'm sure that will be enough, I just bought a new jump box too last week.

/ Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over.
I picked up a 6000 pound Badlands winch at Harbor Freight and a portable winch mount for the new deck over trailer. I am a very happy guy, I'll be able to winch all my trucks, the tractor and my van not to mention the trailer. I also recently purchased a jump box that I didn't realize can power the winch on all my machines independently. I love it when things come together on a tax free weekend.

/ Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over. #5  
I picked up a 6000 pound Badlands winch at Harbor Freight and a portable winch mount for the new deck over trailer. I am a very happy guy, I'll be able to winch all my trucks, the tractor and my van not to mention the trailer. I also recently purchased a jump box that I didn't realize can power the winch on all my machines independently. I love it when things come together on a tax free weekend.

Congrats on the new winch and trailer. Always feels good to keep some of that hard earned $$ in your pocket without having to hand it over to the Federal Government. Glad you had a good tax free weekend.

/ Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over. #6  
Don't forget to have a snatch block handy to double the line for pulling the heavier vehicles. (I like the ones TSC (Tractor Supply Company) carries. It is quick & easy to setup. Just twist the plates, slide in the cable then twist the plates back together.

Snatch block.jpg

I also have a Harbor Freight wireless remote for the 12,000 winch so I can steer while loading easily. NOTE: there is a 2-3 second delay from the time you release the button on the remote before the winch stops moving.

I have my winches mounted to 1/4" thick steel plates welded to 1/4" walled - 2" sq tubing that will mount into receiver hitches. It is mighty handy. I welded 2 1/2" tubes to the front of my trailers to for quick connecting /disconnecting. This way the winches can be stored out of the weather when not needed.

To make quick wiring connections I use the same type you find on welding leads. I have a set wired to each of the batteries mounted on the trailers & have a pair of jumper cables with these connectors on one end.

I have a 12,000 lb Badland, 6,000 lb, 3,000 lb, & 2 - 2,000 lb winches.

Note on my 12,000 lb winch, I have a 1" spacer between the winch & the steel plate for the times the cable does not wind up evenly.

Great Tool!

Attachments

• welding lead connectors.jpg
    welding lead connectors.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 194
   / Thinking about a winch to mount on my new deck over. #7  
The 2" receiver quick mount is about the best thing anybody came up with for a winch (I thought I invented it years ago haha!)
My first mount was built out of thick walled tube on the tongue of the trailer, triangulated and reinforced. You could have winched a tank from that position...a bit too much for an 8k winch LOL. Later I found that the 14.99 bolt on receiver mount from Harbor Freight works just as well when properly bolted or welded. Its a very sturdy piece.

Id like to integrate one of these inside a trailer toolbox somehow to protect it from the elements.

Oliver, nice idea on the welding lugs.

image_21337.jpg