Thinking assistance, please!

/ Thinking assistance, please! #1  

dihub07

Hello, Folks!

I've been reading threads for months (not to mention literature and other websites). I've got JD and Cub Cadet dealers within 5 miles, a NH and Kubota dealer within 15 miles, and MR and IH dealers within 30. I understand the importance of a good dealer relationship.

My stumbling block is, I can't decide what size tractor is appropriate . . . hence, my request for your aid!

We've a 4 acre lawn, 2/3 which is undeveloped (but will be developed into lawn, more garden than what we already have, and landscaping); though 10,000 (100X100) square feet of the undeveloped part is garden. More garden is definitely an option. (Neighbor has a JD 4100 with a tiller so a tiller is definitley nearby). With the garden, we haul a "nice" amount of horse manure from the neighbors (getting tired of doing it by wheel barrow and a trailer behind a JD 318). Also, living in NW Ohio, snow moving capacity will come in handy. A 60" MM mower is preferred by my honey. The driveway is gravel so considered a blade or box blade for driveway work (stone and snow)

What I've looked at:

JD 2320 and Kubota BX2660 . . . too small??

Cub Cadet Sc2400 (too small??) and EX 3200 (too big???).

Used NH TC29.

MF 2300 and 1533\

I'm not concerned about speed or power for mowing . . . any of these units will handle the mowing. My concerns are the wear and tear over time with the tilling and efficiency in bucket work (don't want to be over-powered but don't want to be frustrated with too many trips). At times, I've thought the neighbor's 4100 was a bit under-powered in the lifting department.

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Thanks!!

/ Thinking assistance, please! #2  
B7800 at 30 hp. However the B3030 at 30 hp with the cab will be very nice in the winters with a snow blower.

I'd look at something in the 26 - 30 hp range. I personally don't like to overwork a machine because my expectations outweigh a smaller machine's capabilities.

Just my opinion, regardless of the work.

That 4100 is a 19 hp machine. I can see where it may be a bit underpowered for ease of handling the implements.

/ Thinking assistance, please! #3  
Since you said "Any thoughts", I'll chime in, even though I'm still a rookie.

To me you want a SCUT at a minmum, based on the acreage. I think most will still want to know about the undeveloped portion - flat or hilly, open or wooded.

Rule of thumb - SCUT will do whatever you need - just slower

FEL effeciency will be based more on capacity not power - SCUT will handle a filled bucket just fine - but they are smaller buckets. I think tiller work will be no impact as long as the tiller is matched to the tractor

I am in a similar situation, but undeveloped area is all woods and whole property is steep hills. I've cleared 300 feet of woods for a "driveway" to a site for my future pole barn. After clearing the site, have moved four full truckloads of fill, 300 feet, to the site with the bucket on the BX - very tedious, but safest and most effecient given my hills. Now that driveway is clear and level driver said he would take his truck all the way in next time which should speed things up.

If you go bigger you won't be disappointed (unless there are tight areas) - but don't think I would go smaller....

/ Thinking assistance, please!
Sorry for the lack of clarity . . . "under-developed" means nothing really has been done to that portion of the yard. It is flat and open - bascially, a weed field

/ Thinking assistance, please! #5  
If lifting is a concern then that's a feature you need to look at. Front loader and 3 pt. lift capacities.

Here's my 2 cents.
I have a 26HP HST Mahindra 2615HST. It serves all my purposes. 3 pt. lift cap. is 1653 lb. at 24" behind lift point and loader is about 1050 lb lift capacity to full height (to pivot points) and 2172 lb breakaway capacity @ pivot points. Both ratings are very conservative in my estimation. That's probably about what most 26 HP tractors will do. If you need more you may have to step up to a 30HP. I looked at several other equal HP brands before buying mine and felt the frame and construction of Mahindra was much stronger and beefier looking. Plus I heard a lot of good things about the Mitsubishi diesel mine has. I've had mine about 4 1/2 years now and have about 300 hours.

/ Thinking assistance, please! #6  
An answer to what size is right needs to include consideration of how much time you want to spend doing the tasks you have described. A subcut (BX, 2305, GC, etc.) will do all the tasks described. A large CUT will accomplish the same tasks faster, because it will use significantly larger implements. For mostly lawn work, lighter is generally preferred. For ground engaging tasks, more weight is your friend. I would prioritize my tasks, the one which will be done most getting the most weight in the decision. For tasks that will be done once, such as leveling for putting in more lawn, you can consider renting or hiring done any tasks which would overwhelm a tractor that you would need long term. The long term needs to be you primary consideration; you wouldn't want an M59 to mow with, for instance, once the dirt moving is done.

You need to also talk to your local dealers. They have (or should have) experience in sizing tractors to needs. And you need to sit on the models you are interested in, and see which one fits you best. While you are about it, nose around the parts and service areas of each dealer, see which dealer fits you best as well - most consider the dealer to be an important part of your selection, as you will be relying on them for parts, service, and advice.

Good luck in your search, and post back often to let us know how it's going.

/ Thinking assistance, please! #7  
I have a JD 2320 and do all that you want. Snow depends on how much snow you're talking about. I just use my loader and box blade, but a rear blade would be faster in my snow which is a max of 6 inches at a time here. If you have tons of snow you probably will want a blower and the type and size of blower can dictate the size of tractor. Just search snow removal under each mfgs forum here and you'll see all the pros and cons of each. If you have woods or steep hills, bigger is not better though.

/ Thinking assistance, please! #8  
I have a JD 2320 and do all that you want. Snow depends on how much snow you're talking about. I just use my loader and box blade, but a rear blade would be faster in my snow which is a max of 6 inches at a time here. If you have tons of snow you probably will want a blower and the type and size of blower can dictate the size of tractor. Just search snow removal under each mfgs forum here and you'll see all the pros and cons of each. If you have woods or steep hills, bigger is not better though.

I have to disagree just a bit as I feel ground clearance is important in the woods.

/ Thinking assistance, please! #9  
Dihiub07,

I am no expert, but with what you listed for tasks I would think you are going to want a 26 HP machine at the minimum, however I would recommend a 30 HP machine if it is in your budget. Also, you can never be over powered with a tractor, but you can end up underpowered:D! I am slightly biased as I bought a 30 HP Kubota B3030HSDC two years ago when I purchased. At first I was looking at 23/24 HP machines, but I opted to go bigger and I am glad I did. I have a buddy that just bought a Kubota BX24 last fall and he already wishes he would have went bigger. Not that the BX24 won't do what he wants to do, it is just going to take a little longer and at times could use more fel lift capacity. The initial purchase of my B3030 was to put in a 2 acre yard, there was lots of digging up and hauling of large rocks, lots of dirt moving, and a lot of dragging, along with some skidding of trees. The tractor performed great for me in all the tasks. Anyway, I would look around 30 HP for what you want to do. AS for the brand, I prefer Orange, but all the brands you mentioned produce good tractors. - my 2 cents.

/ Thinking assistance, please! #10  
I am not sure of your snow amount-- BUT I would reccomend a cab..
Where I live in Western NC, we don't get enough snow to worry about it..
and if it changed, I buy an aftermarket cab..

the cub 3200 is nice, but unless there are alot of favorable posts I would not go after that tractor.. when I was looking last year a lot of folks reccomended that it sit and get more proven especially for a first time purchase...

anyway.. I would reccomend that you test drive as many as you can.

Later,
J