Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ?

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #11  
Hmmm. I do it by getting the car height such that I can roll the tire into place, maybe 1/2" off the floor. I usually engage one of the side bolts and then with a nut slightly on, rotate the tire to seat the remainder of the bolts.I have a back that isn't tolerant of brute forcing things.

I don't know how the HF wheel dollies would help me, but you have a better idea what works for you. They also make tire lifts for semi tires, kind of like a dolly for large wheels. Perhaps they also make smaller ones?

All the best,

Peter

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #12  
I have wheel dollies. So the pedal on these is there so you slide the dolly into the tire and step on the pedal to clear the tire off the ground? Then it's just a wheel dolly? With mine I have to jack the wheel off the ground and lower it on the dolly.
Not knowing what you have I can't answer that for sure, but the links in the OPs post work like this, with the jack lowered, you slide it around the tire, pump the jack up and it lifts the VEHICLE. Do that on all four tires with four jacks (that's why they sell them and the carrying rack to store them as a discount as a set) and it allows you to push the car forward, backward, left or right in tight shop spaces. That is what they are purpose DESIGNED for and how they work. But we all know that almost any tool or piece of equipment can be repurposed for many different uses.

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #13  
   / Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #14  
Tire dolly, the long-handled, Y-shaped ones, made for lifting, moving, and mounting tires.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tire+dolly&t=ffsb&atb=v223-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Even Home Depot shows them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ESCO-Heavy-Duty-Adjustable-Tire-Wheel-Dolly-70134/309182280

A non-adjustable one made for semi-truck tires probably would be too large, but it wouldn't be hard to make one if you can weld or bolt.

Bruce
Good search, the red arrows are actual tire moving and lifting dollies.
That is a good and in my opinion, better option for the OP as opposed to the 'vehicle moving dollies' being labeled as 'tire dollies'

The blue arrows are essentially the less expensive non jack version of OPs link, they are also used in a set of four by jacking the vehicle up, set a tire on each one and then you can push the car around the shop in any direction without having to fuss with, brakes, neutral or in gear, steering, etc. Great for project vehicles and shops with tight spaces for storage or moving from bay to bay. We used that style mostly in the body shop and long term projects. But they are definatley NOT a tire dolly. (Even though a tire sits ON them)
They also work great for moving snomobiles aroung the shop as well, but then again, so do furniture dollies, another multi purpose tool! Screenshot_20200922-022335.jpg

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #15  
I got to the point that lifting larger tires to rotate wasn't an option. I've been using the Harbor Freight dolly you linked to for over 2 years. Works great. I had to lubricate the inside of the plastic rollers with silicone to turn easy.

SmartSelect_20200922-083622_Chrome.jpg

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #16  
Here's one made for pickup truck tires:
Amazon.com: ATD Tools 7229 Tire and Wheel Cart: Automotive

I have a similar unit. It works well for installing heavy pickup truck tires. The lever gives you plenty of leverage to lift the wheel with one hand and the rollers allow you to rotate the tire to line it up with the wheel studs.

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #17  
I got to the point that lifting larger tires to rotate wasn't an option. I've been using the Harbor Freight dolly you linked to for over 2 years. Works great. I had to lubricate the inside of the plastic rollers with silicone to turn easy.

View attachment 670495

Add a 20% off coupon and that's a pretty good deal. :thumbsup:

493600C9-A0E3-43E1-A5B3-12EFA00A48E6.png

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ?
Wow, thank you everyone, so many great ideas!

What I really like about the vehicle positioning dolly is being able to somewhat position the tire rims top hole and the vehicles top stud in vertical alignment, then jacking up a 1/2" or so, then being able to push slightly on the top of the tire to start the first lug nut without much physical effort.

And if the eyeballing the vertical alignment does not work out, then I would modify the dolly slightly for a little tire rotation without much effort.

I believe it will have a much better improvement to the 2x4 on the ground in front of the tire and a pinch bar to lift the tire to get the top hole/stud on for a lug nut.

And yes, HF 20% off coupon is always on my phone with their free app, and since using that I have never had to sort through expired coupons.

Thanks everyone again and I will let you all know how it works out for me in about a month.

Oh, F.Y.I. the vehicles are both full size 1/2 ton trucks (GMC & Ford).

KC

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ? #19  
Red,
I know what you mean about wanting to make the tire changes yourself. There is some satisfaction in maintaining your vehicles. The plus side is not having to wait or schedule the local tire shop to do it. Here in my neck of the woods once the report calls for snow it could take a week or two for an appointment.

/ Thinking it's about time to purchase a Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly or ?
Yes I hate to wait or get a ride 2 times for this little task, and doing it myself all I have to do is roll the tires a few feet for the switch.

Here's a little update, I found and ordered this vehicle skate dolly at Summit Racing for $99.99/free shipping.

HF wanted $129.99 ($103.99 with coupon) and $6.99 shipping/handling.

The link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-918070

KC