Third cutting concerns

/ Third cutting concerns
35348414_10216693555313970_8017540211653214208_n.jpg

I can haul four bales in my 16 foot trailer and then one more in the back of my bed. Times like this I wish that I had a one ton duelly truck and a big gooseneck trailer, but before spending that kind of money, I'll probably pay to have the hay delivered. Just hurts buying 30 bales at a time!!!

/ Third cutting concerns #23  
No problem. I have to go into town later so I will check if any is out back.

/ Third cutting concerns #24  
Eddie, I drove by and they have a good bit left. I did see a few older bales but most looked pretty fresh. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

/ Third cutting concerns #25  
Our last cutting of the year be it the 3rd or 4th is usually shorter grass and therefore not stemmy which is what I have always found that horses like best, also don't be afraid of hay with a little native grass mixed in such as crabgrass, most horse people will turn their noses up at it but put a roll of all coastal and one with some crabgrass mix in the lot and see which roll they stay at, it won't be the coastal till the other roll is gone. Good luck. Charlie.

My daughter has some friends that have about 20 acres with around 20 horses...Yes, twenty. Somehow, they manage to get them fed, but not by the 20 acres. It is in poor condition as far as a hay field goes. Since they helped my daughter learn to ride, I went south about 120 miles to get 3 big round bales of horse quality coastal for them. When I got to their place I had a zoo of horses, goats, and dogs following my trailer until it stopped. The first bale we pushed off in one pasture, the kids shooed the horses away for just enough time to cut the twine. Even the dogs came over and rolled all in the fresh hay. It was like a feast. We put one bale in a 2nd cross fenced pasture, and the 3rd in storage. I would love to help them get the place disked up and planted with jiggs, but it costs a pretty penny and money is an object.

My buddy down south says there is a severe shortage of hay. The parts guy at the Deere dealer here says people are baling the frost bitten stuff (that is growing wild in all the ditches too) here and selling it. We've had too much rain, and all the fields are too muddy to cut. Then it froze almost down to the Texas coast line.

/ Third cutting concerns #26  
I'm seeing 18 wheelers hauling hay almost every day. Sometimes there is three of them on a row going down the highway. I've been tempted to follow them, but so far, I haven't, but if it gets any worse, I just might!!!!
You don't need to follow them, you need to find out where they are coming from. Do you have a CB?

Around here (Fulton, Mississippi) on Facebook a search for hay bales turns up a lot to the east in Alabama (typically about $30 for a 4x5) virtually nothing to the west.

Interestingly though is that nothing turns up on CL.

/ Third cutting concerns
Eddie, I drove by and they have a good bit left. I did see a few older bales but most looked pretty fresh. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Yes, that's a big help. I will try to get by there later on this week.

We drove to Ennis TX last night to pick up one of our dogs from our handler and we saw at least a dozen places with hay for sale. Most of it looked really rough, but there was one place that had two separate stacks with the price of $60 on the stuff that was falling apart, and $90 on the stuff that looked pretty tight. From the looks of the fields, I'm thinking it's all mostly cow hay, but if worse comes to worse, I might have to go there.

/ Third cutting concerns #28  
Yes, that's a big help. I will try to get by there later on this week.

We drove to Ennis TX last night to pick up one of our dogs from our handler and we saw at least a dozen places with hay for sale. Most of it looked really rough, but there was one place that had two separate stacks with the price of $60 on the stuff that was falling apart, and $90 on the stuff that looked pretty tight. From the looks of the fields, I'm thinking it's all mostly cow hay, but if worse comes to worse, I might have to go there.

Since hay is at such a premium there, why not reduce the amount/quality and supplement with feed?

/ Third cutting concerns #29  
In west Alabama, hay has been up and down. I got about 90 4x5 for $35 each. I picked it up in the field. My hay guy almost never sales rounds. But does it for my and one other customer. He can get a lot more for the squares. I think about $4.50 for 50 lb bale. He has the equipment to handle it. He also has chicken houses, so it is really good hay. We had too much rain to start with. On the third cutting, he had to cut short due to army worms starting to get into it. He likes to sell to the same customers each year and always is out by the end of the year.
At the same time, there is a lot of grass for sale at $25 a roll I would not put in my dog house.