This has to be a record !!!

/ This has to be a record !!! #111  
s
One has to realize that it's a global economy. Things made in other countries for US companies are made to spec. Our Impala was made in Canada. My mother in-law's Toyota Sienna was more American made than the Ford F150 that year.

To think that the U.S. can compete and win by going to isolationism just isn't realistic. People in other parts of the world want what we have. To get it, they need money. To get money, they'll do a job for less money than people here will do it. That's just the way it is. You either have to adapt or you'll be left behind.

/ This has to be a record !!! #112  
MossRoad; I understand what your saying, but offer up the following reasoning;

The global economy is not working for most US citizens. "Isolationism" seems like a political talking point and is not what putting our country back to a reasonable more viable economic position is about. Policies directed at helping the people at all levels is what keeps us United and prosperous (or at least the opportunity is closer at hand when you target locally.) Does a global economy mean we import more than we export? The answer to that is pretty much a yes when you don't use our own available natural resources and depend on global supplies to get your product on the market..also adds to our trade deficit, national debt, and subsequent economic vulnerability. (but these are political issues that lack resolve and interest when you are monetarily involved with state run economies like China)

Preserving our independence is not "isolationism" and is what made us the model for the free world. "People want what we have".... So does that mean we are exceptional? Competing in global market means we have to remain competitive locally. Outsourcing has to have a reasonable balance and some dedication to our own people. People makes us whole. attitudes make us strong, being lazy makes us weak. ....Pride in workmanship, domestic competition, and accountability gives people us the best opportunities to get through downturns that global dependency has historically compromised our at home sustainability.

I am old and possibly out of touch with today's ideologies. But I have been through many sequences of culture and change and have been able to distinguish what works and what doesn't. A nation of service jobs will not sustain an economy and actually making a product pumps up the value of our dollar. Printing money and adding debt gives us economic decline. I have no issue with a global market that doesn't suck the lifeblood out of our American citizens. However, just too many gaps and political posturing, given that today's reality, with globalism at the forefront, is clearly "leaving us behind"

add; Other countries making our products under "specifications". So if products are not reliable or short lived then what is wrong with the process? Do we continue to discard and buy back on the cheap? It took Japan about 20 years to provide good results on their automobiles and subsequently ended up dominating the market. (with reliability the driving force behind their success) But after WW ll they modeled themselves after a prospering US with free enterprise and democracy. Pride has a lot going for it when a quality product gets made so how do we expect those state workers and slave manufacturing facilities in China to have the same pride in their workmanship? China dominates the worlds manufacturing and they still have developing nations privilege and get huge advantages over the rest of the developed countries....they have successfully cornered the market and are now holding the world hostage to their intended takeover of world dominance......Globalism to them means Chinese domination/control.

Got too long winded, so I will close with this, of one of many personal examples of an outsourced product.

First of all led lighting was not invented in China as most inventions happen in free societies but if someone could tell me where to get one not made in China? Yes I would pay more for reliability;

again just one example out of many: purchased (4) 4 foot double led lites for my shop three years ago. One still works, the first two went out before a year, the other a few months later. Why does one still work? I haven't a clue but a 75% failure rate is not much value no matter how cheap they are........I have an old outside sodium light that is roughly 40 years old that I have changed the bulb once and the photocell once.....hard to measure electricity usage but it was not even measurable when you compare with the larger draws........I'm still way ahead with out of the pocket costs when you consider I have had to replace 7 Chinese leds over the last 10 years. Quantity vs quality. I just want a choice.

/ This has to be a record !!! #113  
Kenmore front loader washing machine bought new in 2002, started to rattle badly on the spin cycles in 2016. Looked on line and found a good repair guide that suggested this was due to failed bearings. Ordered the bearings and took the washer apart. Discovered it wasn't the bearings.
The SS inner tub was riveted to a three arm, spindle yoke that was made of some sort of light alloy. So here you have a DESIGN, of dissimilar metals that get submerged in an electrolyte. Two of the arms had rotted out due to Galvanic corrosion. So, still not detered, I look up the parts list for this make and model, and similar models that would have used the same tub/yoke assembly. Found I could order EVERY PART for this washer, except for the Tub/Yoke. It was the ONLY part stating, "No longer available."

I stared at that computer screen for a full 5 minutes, as the sense of "Gotcha! You silly DIY person" settled in, knowing that the designers had not only intentionally built this flaw; this long fuse, failure point, into the machine, but made doubly sure you couldn't fix it.

As to preserving some sort of national manufacturing base,... that ship sailed long ago as it did for every other country... not just the USA.

/ This has to be a record !!! #114  
So the appliance guy I worked for didn't even know
what company owned the products he was selling as
GE never did own Frigidaire. Did learn the Frigidaire
was more efficient electrically than GE.

willy

/ This has to be a record !!! #115  
For you LG fans , I had a premium model , compressor went out just out of warranty , which was just 2 years. Repairman said he sees LG
compressors broke 4-1 all other models. $900 to replace , I junked it and bought a Cheap Whirlpool , got my fingers crossed ! ? Nomore LG for me , no LG anything , even got rid of my LG smart phones. I don’t think you can buy a reliable fridge , or any other appliance for that matter these days , all cheap unreliable junk. Previous to my LG fridge , had a Sears Kenmore side by side , 25 years ran like a champ , never had any thing break on it . Sold it when wife bought that fancy LG . Stillhave a Kemore chest freezer 48 yrs old and working fine.

/ This has to be a record !!! #117  
Looking at a Fisher and Paykel since it will be cheaper than redoing all my cabinets.

Seems all the Fridges in the right size are not currently made and ours has a defrost/water condensation issue. It is probably 30+ years old though.

/ This has to be a record !!! #118  
We have a Maytag refrigerator in my new house. It is a year and half and working fine. Fingers crossed. We got a deal on it and it is the old style refrigerator. Me and my wife wanted simple. I hope it lasts a while.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2017 Nissan Sentra SV Sedan, (A33078)
2017 Nissan Sentra...
Disc Plow (A33041)
Disc Plow (A33041)
2017 Case 620 Cotton Picker and Head (A33113)
2017 Case 620...
Rolling Stand (A33041)
Rolling Stand (A33041)
Fuel Tank (A33548)
Fuel Tank (A33548)
2007 Suncoast T/A Enclosed Trailer (A32932)
2007 Suncoast T/A...