This Old House

/ This Old House
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is that a PILE of firewood in the picture, or part of the remodelling effort? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have had two burn piles going for one project. Cannot imagine what happens when we turn our attention to the house. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

That is the wood from a 3' and 4' diameter White Ash trees' that use to be in front of the house. That's next years heating supply plus. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ This Old House
This is the followup on last years work on the east wall of the main part of the house. Then I opened up the extension on the main house to replace all the rafters and the roof.

Attachments

• Farm22.jpg
    Farm22.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Farm24.jpg
    Farm24.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Farm26.jpg
    Farm26.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
   / This Old House
Work proceeded as planned on this until November.

Attachments

• Farm27.jpg
    Farm27.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Farm28.jpg
    Farm28.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Farm29.jpg
    Farm29.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 175
   / This Old House
Two surgeries and a long rest for roof work until last week. Also the finished inside wall that we removed.

Attachments

• Farm30.jpg
    Farm30.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 170
  • Farm31.jpg
    Farm31.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Farm32.jpg
    Farm32.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 180
   / This Old House
The project is taking off again now. I started on the roofs off the main house last week. A few of the roof rafters needed to be replaced. The section to the left is getting all new 2x8" put in it. The chimney below the roof level and into the workshop area has been all dug out and remortared. The rest can wait til I get the roof finished. This really stunk as I had a guy do the upper part and he told me the lower section was fine. The mortar could be removed with an air gun and air it was so loose. Repairing that chimney was very time consuming as you can only remove so much mortar before it may come tumbling down on you. The new rafters on the right side building were made from Red Pines. The roof boards are made from Hemlock trees. I am now working on the backside of the center roof and the part behind the chimney. The east side of the right roof also needs to be stripped and reshingled. After that I will be jacking up the building to the right to replace the sills, repair the vertical timbers and residing this whole section of the house. There is never a dull moment with an old house.

Attachments

• DSC00765.JPG
    DSC00765.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00768.JPG
    DSC00768.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 181
   / This Old House #16  
Mornin Jim,
Hey buddy, that thread title may be copywright infringement :) :) Just kiddin :) Looks like youve been busy, nice job !

/ This Old House
Hi Scotty, Thanks, I'll try and keep the photos coming as the house progresses this time. It sure is a slow process working on old houses. Nothing is straight, nothing is solid and everything needs to get tweeked.