This Was NOT An Accident

/ This Was NOT An Accident #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
We put down a 110 foot tall laurel oak (a weed tree) in order to open up some light into the pasture where we replanted with Bahia seed.

The Husky 372 with 28" bar-chain did a great nonstop job safely putting this tree down on the ground.

Took me about two hours to clean up the mess with my Kubota L-39 with a SkidSteer hydraulic grappler, probably 100,000 pounds of tree.

It is a short 7.5MB WMV video.

Watch the slo-mo of the tree fall in the video...

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Timber II.wmv

Attachments

• Grapple Fire3.jpg
    Grapple Fire3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 589
   / This Was NOT An Accident #2  
I wish all of my tree jobs came with painted on face cut and back cut lines. :D

I guess missing that little pen was what you wanted.. Nice work.

/ This Was NOT An Accident
Believe it or Not, that pen surrounds the water faucet for irrigation.

There is a 2" PVC pipe plumbed out to it from the well pump.

When the laurel came down, it drove a large 8 inch diameter limb about six-feet underground, severing the water pipe!

Was aiming right to the right of the water faucet pen and it came down pretty much right on target.

That was the only non-anticipated result of the taking the tree down....

/ This Was NOT An Accident #4  
Nice job! Sorry about the speared water line, but who woulda guessed?
Dave.

/ This Was NOT An Accident #5  
Sorry I had to laugh about the branch sticking in the ground. I ask people if there are any underground pipes or wires because those branches can stick in the ground. I have seen them poke through asphault. They are a real bugger to get out of the ground when driven in like that. Sometimes I just saw them off close so the mowers don't hit them.

Ha Ha, you got that right. I had to dig the bugger out with the BH. :D

/ This Was NOT An Accident #7  
I enjoyed the video, and don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything... but I don't think that tree weighed anywhere near 100,000 pounds. :)

The 100,000 pound estimate came from the 50+ trips my TLB made carrying over a ton each time in the grappler, each six-foot section of the trunk was over a ton based on the inability of the FEL hydraulics to lift it more than two feet off the ground.

But your right, that was just a wild guess...

/ This Was NOT An Accident #9  
I enjoyed the video, and don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything... but I don't think that tree weighed anywhere near 100,000 pounds. :)

I have to agree I did use the log weight tool on a wood forum I visit. If the tree were 36" diameter for 110 feet it would only weigh in at around 50,000lbs. Now that means the diameter would have to be 36" the whole 110 feet. I would quess that tree was closer to the 30,000lbs scale, maybe even 40,000lbs???

SkyPup; I'm not knocking your thread enjoyed seeing a SAFE felling of a huge tree. I also figured your largest 6' lengths would be in the area of 3,000 lbs. but not every load could have been a trunk piece :D

I was also wondering did you just burn up the whole tree?

Last edited:
   / This Was NOT An Accident #10  
Nice job, but couldn't the wood have been burned in a fireplace?? Surely someone would have liked to get that wood??? I just hate to see good wood go to waste, no telling how many years it took that tree to grow that size and in less than a day it's a pile of hot ashes. I'm sure some people inthe northern part of Florida have fireplaces?????