Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #81  
I think you've re-dredged up an old post again....

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #82  
But I'm still here and I still have my truck, so if he comes back, I can share some information!

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck
I have not been reading this forum with the same frequency as in the past, but this thread was certainly enlightening.

For the moment, I have decided to stay below 14Kgvw with the truck and less than 10k on the trailer with load, just to keep things simple. With the state of the economy, it looks like I should be able to find an F550 with a dump body and 4wd for about $15k and that will be more manageable until I have moved to CO.

Once I have moved, I will see how often I will need more than the dump truck, although I may have to haul my TLB to a gravel pit to load gravel and then haul that back to my property, load after load. Plenty of sand and gravel left behind by the receding glaciers up in those mountains. I may also be looking for ledge to use in masonry.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #84  
But I'm still here and I still have my truck, so if he comes back, I can share some information!

Sounds good!

I have not been reading this forum with the same frequency as in the past, but this thread was certainly enlightening.

For the moment, I have decided to stay below 14Kgvw with the truck and less than 10k on the trailer with load, just to keep things simple. With the state of the economy, it looks like I should be able to find an F550 with a dump body and 4wd for about $15k and that will be more manageable until I have moved to CO.

Once I have moved, I will see how often I will need more than the dump truck, although I may have to haul my TLB to a gravel pit to load gravel and then haul that back to my property, load after load. Plenty of sand and gravel left behind by the receding glaciers up in those mountains. I may also be looking for ledge to use in masonry.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I'm sort of in the same boat.....I have a F-350 dump 4x4 that is OK, but a bit small for some of my uses. I've also looked at the military 6x6 dumps, usually around 7-8k. I'm just not so sure about the maintenance and parts eventually required.
I'm also looking for a newer F550 (99-2003) 4x4 dump with 9 or 10' dump....that should be a good go-between.
Good luck!

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #85  
my family is looking into getting a m35a2 to be doing right of way work out in the oil feild. there will be a 10,000lb tank that will be hauled up and down these right away's. the question that i am asking is will this be big enough for such activites or should we gp with the 5 ton. and will the deuce be able to climb mild to seep sandy hills.

thanks for your time
sodfatherhydro

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #86  
my family is looking into getting a m35a2 to be doing right of way work out in the oil feild. there will be a 10,000lb tank that will be hauled up and down these right away's. the question that i am asking is will this be big enough for such activites or should we gp with the 5 ton. and will the deuce be able to climb mild to seep sandy hills.

thanks for your time
sodfatherhydro

If your regularly going to haul a 10k tank I would recomend a 800 or 900series 5 ton. Deep sand can be a problem for anything, if your in it a lot I'd consider tracks over the duals kinda a homemade half track.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #87  
the question that i am asking is will this be big enough for such activites or should we gp with the 5 ton. and will the deuce be able to climb mild to seep sandy hills.
Climbing sandy hills, what does that mean? Are they like sand dunes or sandy loam? What type of vehicle is currently performing the task? Need more info. You may have to settle for a CH-53 Sea Stallion. :D

Are you planning on hauling that 5 ton tank on a 2-1/2 ton truck??

Last edited:
   / Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #88  
I have a Deuce and a half I picked up 18 months ago and I enjoy taking it out. Today 8/13/17 I had packed my stuff in the cab as I was headed out to a car show with it only to realize I had left the light switch on and ended up having two dead batteries. Needless to say I hustled and disconnected the wiring and charged one with my charger and the other with my car so I could still make the show. However when I started it up to leave I had a squealing sound much like you get on a car with loose fan belts but it wouldn't go away even with revving the engine a bit so I decided to skip the show rather than risk getting stuck 50 miles away. A 50 mile tow for a car can be expensive I hate to imagine what it would cost for the Deuce. One thing I noticed though was that when I would turn the power switch off so I could shut it down the squealing disappeared completely and would return as soon as I would turn the switch back on. I tried this a few times all with the same results. Any ideas? Is it coming from the generator/alternator? The truck didn't make any such noise the week before when I attended a car show and it had remained parked in my yard untouched until today? Any help would be appreciated. Partree

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #89  
I have a Deuce and a half I picked up 18 months ago and I enjoy taking it out. Today 8/13/17 I had packed my stuff in the cab as I was headed out to a car show with it only to realize I had left the light switch on and ended up having two dead batteries. Needless to say I hustled and disconnected the wiring and charged one with my charger and the other with my car so I could still make the show. However when I started it up to leave I had a squealing sound much like you get on a car with loose fan belts but it wouldn't go away even with revving the engine a bit so I decided to skip the show rather than risk getting stuck 50 miles away. A 50 mile tow for a car can be expensive I hate to imagine what it would cost for the Deuce. One thing I noticed though was that when I would turn the power switch off so I could shut it down the squealing disappeared completely and would return as soon as I would turn the switch back on. I tried this a few times all with the same results. Any ideas? Is it coming from the generator/alternator? The truck didn't make any such noise the week before when I attended a car show and it had remained parked in my yard untouched until today? Any help would be appreciated. Partree

Sounds like you need to check/tighten/replace the alternator belt. Its probably slipping due to the high load to recharge the batterys.