Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas?

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #11  
Lets all sit back and breath deeply.

Our best solution can only be derived by reviewing piping diagrams for both the tractor and the splitter. Pictures also help a lot.

Most modern tractors are piped as open center hydraulic system and most splitter valves are open center.

Unless your tractor has a closed system (CC) (which I doubt) we only need to address open center (OC) systems. I agree the TS manual short changes the definitions of the two type systems. A simple phone call to SpeeCo and your tractor supplier will get you the answers to the tractor and splitter valve types. The tractor supplier's service manager may be willing to explain how to connect your splitter. Many shop mechanics know how to work on their tractors systems but cannot explain how or why things work.

There is a lot of info on hydraulic systems on the net. In OC systems the key is there is continuous flow of fluid through the systems valves back to the sump (commonly identified as T).

By the way the remote outputs (2) are the up and down for a cylinder, the controlling valve circuit provides the return to the T.

To really understand hydraulic systems you need to know the definitions, symbols, and acronyms.

It took me many hours of study to get a rudimentary knowledge of hydraulics but that did not make me an expert.

I have a tractor that is plumbed for an open center back hoe system. It use 3 hoses, one connects the flow back to the system to complete the flow pattern called the power beyond (PB). I set my splitter up to connect to the back hoe lines same as the hoe with 3 hoses. One hose is the power (P), another returns to sump T and the other is the PB back to the main system.

The OP needs to provide drawings, data, and pictures for us armchair engineers. Sorry if I have muddied the water worse.

Ron

Last edited:
   / Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #12  
I'd look for the manufacturer info on the valve and ask them, or look up their docs. The log splitter company just buys whatever valve is cheapest at the time.

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #13  
I reopened this thread today, but I am not the OP. Having run into problems in dealing with Speeco, I began looking for good advice here. Our JD 2240 tractor was bought new, and it has successfully powered many different implements over the years. It has one valve block. When we bought the Speeco, its manual advised against using the splitter with a JD 2240, so the splitter always got used with the Kubota 8540. Now the Kubota is gone, so I bought a spool to install into the Speeco splitter valve to make it compatible with the JD. But, do I even need to switch the spools if there is no need to use other hydraulic functions while the tractor's hydraulic control valve is held open to power the splitter? Will the auto return feature work with the John Deere? Hope this clarifies the matter,
Enfield

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #14  
I reopened this thread today, but I am not the OP. Having run into problems in dealing with Speeco, I began looking for good advice here. Our JD 2240 tractor was bought new, and it has successfully powered many different implements over the years. It has one valve block. When we bought the Speeco, its manual advised against using the splitter with a JD 2240, so the splitter always got used with the Kubota 8540. Now the Kubota is gone, so I bought a spool to install into the Speeco splitter valve to make it compatible with the JD. But, do I even need to switch the spools if there is no need to use other hydraulic functions while the tractor's hydraulic control valve is held open to power the splitter? Will the auto return feature work with the John Deere? Hope this clarifies the matter,
Enfield
I would think it will work just fine. All the splitter valve needs is power in and return to tank correct? If you have a remote valve on the 2240 and it is held open, you have power on one line and return to tank on the other. Certainly would not hurt to try it.

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #15  
Where is the OP with answers/pictures we have been asking for?

Here are 2 paragraphs from another forum on this subject:

Open center hydraulics allow the oil to pass through the control valve when the valve is in the neutral position. A closed center valve shuts off the flow through the valve unless it is in a demand position. Using a closed center control valve on an open center system will force the relief valve to open to bypass oil when the valve is in the neutral position.

You can't just use a closed center valve if the system is designed for an open center one. A closed center valve will keep the oil from returning to reservoir with the valve in neutral causing the relief valve to open. Running in this condition will cause the system to overheat.

Ron

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #16  
Where is the OP with answers/pictures we have been asking for?

Here are 2 paragraphs from another forum on this subject:

Open center hydraulics allow the oil to pass through the control valve when the valve is in the neutral position. A closed center valve shuts off the flow through the valve unless it is in a demand position. Using a closed center control valve on an open center system will force the relief valve to open to bypass oil when the valve is in the neutral position.

You can't just use a closed center valve if the system is designed for an open center one. A closed center valve will keep the oil from returning to reservoir with the valve in neutral causing the relief valve to open. Running in this condition will cause the system to overheat.

Ron
Probably long since figured out his issue since it was almost 5 years ago. This thread was just resurrected yesterday

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #17  
Yes, the current question is: can you use an open center splitter valve with a closed center system?
Enfield

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #18  
Yes, the current question is: can you use an open center splitter valve with a closed center system?
Enfield
94% chance is that it will work.

The JD usually stops pumping oil when there is no use, saving fuel. Hence the name, Closed Center valve.
The little hydraulic oil (with no pressure load) that is pumped when the splitter is "waiting",,
will cause the tractor to consume WAY less extra fuel ever,, as compared to what a new valve will cost.

Proof of my hypothesis will only cost the purchase price of the two hydraulic connectors,,
Those connectors will need to be purchased anyways, even if you later find the CCH valve IS needed.

We ran a hydraulic driven water pump off of the closed center hydraulics of a JD 4430.
That hydraulic system is basically identical to the 2240,,
AND, running a pump is very similar to the wood splitter valve passing hydraulic oil through, and back to the tractor.
(compared to the tractor, the water pump virtually took zero horsepower to operate, It was similar to one of those little 12 volt pumps that comes with the 40 gallon weed sprayer tank, when we engaged the pump, there was no change in engine sound.)

There is ONE very big, important point, DO NOT connect the hoses to the valve such that flow is reversed!!

If that occurs, there will be no local pressure relief at the wood splitter.

The valve handle will lock, you will think you "BLEW UP" your wood slitter,,
Normally, there is no problem, other than needing to reverse the position of the valve in the tractor.

/ Three Point Hitch Log Splitter not working - ideas? #19  
Enfield
Enfield:
The spool (plug) blocks the internal functions of the open system power beyond port. Installing it makes your SpeeCo valve a closed center same as your JD system, so you need it. The primary thing is assuring the fluid gets back to the tank through your remote valve. Make sure the PB outlet is plugged and the power side of the remote connections is connected to the Power inlet of the SpeeCO. The other hose then connects to the other connector. You will know in a hurry if they are reversed as CAD stated. Should work.

Ron