Three point hitch

/ Three point hitch #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
can anyone give me an idea as to cost of three point hitch for steiner or ventrac? does anyone use them to pull small disc harrows or blades? thanks

/ Three point hitch #2  
You probably will not be happy trying to pull a Disc Harrow nor Rear Blade; both in the category of ground contact work.

It is the tremendous mechanical advantage and contact patch of large rear wheels which make ground contact implements effective on traditional tractors.

Even so, ground contact work puts a considerable strain on geared tractor drive trains. Ventrac/Steiners have belt drive, not gears, and probably cannot pull anything heavy enough to penetrate the tough red clay I see traveling in Georgia.

The lightest Disc Harrow which is effective on previously plowed ground has 18" diameter pans and weighs 600 pounds, in my opinion. The minimum traditional tractor that will satisfactorily pull one is around 1,900 pounds, tractor only, with 4-WD and those large rear wheels.

I question how the small wheels/ low ground clearance on V/S would cross plow furrows, pulling a Disc Harrow.

A roto-tiller would be a better option than a Disc Harrow.

Last edited:
   / Three point hitch #3  
Ventrac 4500 3pt hitch kit plus hydraulic valve kit required goes full retail at abut $2500.00 if DYI.

prs

/ Three point hitch #4  
You probably will not be happy trying to pull a Disc Harrow nor Rear Blade; both in the category of ground contact work.

It is the tremendous mechanical advantage and contact patch of large rear wheels which make ground contact implements effective on traditional tractors.

Even so, ground contact work puts a considerable strain on geared tractor drive trains. Ventrac/Steiners have belt drive, not gears, and probably cannot pull anything heavy enough to penetrate the tough red clay I see traveling in Georgia.

The lightest Disc Harrow which is effective on previously plowed ground has 18" diameter pans and weighs 600 pounds, in my opinion. The minimum traditional tractor that will satisfactorily pull one is around 1,900 pounds, tractor only, with 4-WD and those large rear wheels.

I question how the small wheels/ low ground clearance on V/S would cross plow furrows, pulling a Disc Harrow.

A roto-tiller would be a better option than a Disc Harrow.

Jeff, where did you get your information that Steiners and Ventrac are belt drive? Mine is gear drive trans axle at both ends…. only belts on the alternator and a second hydraulic pump plus the power take off in the front …….. jim

/ Three point hitch #5  
Jeff, where did you get your information that Steiners and Ventrac are belt drive?

I reckon I am going to have to do some more studying. MEA CULPA.

jeff9366

/ Three point hitch
I reckon I am going to have to do some more studying. MEA CULPA.

jeff9366

so does that mean that a ventrac or steiner might be able to pull a small harrow or blade? anyone out there had any experience? i mainly ask because i have a gravel driveway that requires scraping, i would love to own the power rake but they are expensive. i would also like to use a harrow to plant food plots for deer.

/ Three point hitch #8  
I could have bought a (like new) 3ph a while ago, quite cheap and I turned it down. One, I don't like 3point hitches to begin with and the hydraulic issue was a hassle. It is something of a step backwards on a steiner if you ask me.

The Steiner has impressive pulling power for the size of machine.

I was contemplating building a long grader frame out front with a salvaged 3ph blade for playing on my driveway. I am just a little bit leary about eating the dust.

/ Three point hitch #9  
I am trying to find the power rake as well, even though I have a big one (Harley PRO 8). Yes, they are pricey and hard to find.

View attachment 455057

This stone filled roller weighs a lot and is probably a bit much for the machine. I was rolling grass seed and turned coming out of a hill just a little too soon. It pushed the machine out from under me. My first tractor rollover (kind of) ever.