Tie down options for utility trailer with sides

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #11  

The previous owner of my trailer installed these. I didn't trust screws holding them down. Didn't matter since within a couple years they were so rusted you couldn't pull the rings up.

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #12  
The previous owner of my trailer installed these. I didn't trust screws holding them down. Didn't matter since within a couple years they were so rusted you couldn't pull the rings up.
With through bolts to the frame or plates under the deck they have the rated capacity. Mine haven't rusted at all in several years but I park inside most of the time.

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #13  
2,000 pound rating is not enough when hauling a tractor. The foreword momentum of that loaded trailer would make me worry... but that’s just me. The welded one I use has a 10,000 pound rating as I recall.

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #14  
I知 considering treated wood decking or expanded metal for the sides. I知 leaning towards wood now. If the bottom rail is high enough I should be able to use the stake pockets that are 菟aid for or access a D-ring welded to the frame.

Only issue that leaves is what to do with loose material such as mulch or stone. I値l need a way to fill in the gap.

I don稚 mind that idea so much because the gap makes it easier to keep the deck clean after hauling mulch or compost. Maybe keep a remnant of vinyl flooring around wide enough to wrap up the sides past the gap. Smooth surface might be nice for shoveling mulch or compost.

I read another post this morning where a member used a router to cut a slot in the deck board and loop a chain around the support.

I use a tarp under loose material loaded in my utility trailer like yours. Tarp is long enough to cover material afterwards. Jon

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #15  
Maybe I am not understanding but if you are only putting say plywood on your sides no higher than your current sides see no reason you can not run chain or straps over the top rail and the solid sides to trailer frame to tie your tractor down. Just be sure you use pockets to tie to that hold the tractor in place. Run to pocket behind the tractor to keep from moving forward and in front of the tractor to keep it from rolling back. Or you do the reverse. Have do so many many times.

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #16  
sides
When you have fixed sides, eyelets welded on the inside wont be awkward when loading pallets from the side because the sides dont fold so you cant load pallets anyways.

My trailer is universal use (dirt, vehicles, building materials) and i welded a pin in a stake pocket, with a long chain link on the pin. I can pull the chain link up outof the stake pocket to hook a tie to it. When i drop the sides they are our of the way, hanging under the surface.

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #17  
2,000 pound rating is not enough when hauling a tractor. The foreword momentum of that loaded trailer would make me worry... but that’s just me. The welded one I use has a 10,000 pound rating as I recall.

Your max brake force averages between 0.45 and 0.55 G. So, taking the tie line angles into concideration, two (on each side, 4 in total) 2000 pound tie points will secure a 4000 pound tractor, is a good rule of thumb.

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #18  
I was planning on doing theses. Using washers with nuts on bottom side of trailer to secure a UTV. Is there a issue with this setup? Easy to do and no welding. Thoughts?

IMG_1953.jpg

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #19  
I was planning on doing theses. Using washers with nuts on bottom side of trailer to secure a UTV. Is there a issue with this setup? Easy to do and no welding. Thoughts?

View attachment 616210

I use them to keep a big plastic box in one place on my utility trailer. The box is the size of larger cooler and has my chains and binders in it. When all the stuff is in it, I can't move it by hand. These are just screwed into the wood decking. On another trailer I have these bolted through the metal frame to secure my Gravely walk behind. Again not a lot of weight. Jon

/ Tie down options for utility trailer with sides #20  
Seems to me that going through 1.5”thick boards using 7/16” bolts to secure a 1600lb utv would be a piece of cake. I just can’t see the bolts not holding but several people said they don’t trust that setup.