Tier 4 info

/ Tier 4 info #41  
90% sure that's tier 4a, not tier 4 final. They have to stop building tier 4a engines 12/31/14 and have to have production switched to tier4 final 3/31/15.

Hmm, wonder if my NX4510 is interim or final. I'll check with the dealer out of curiosity when I next speak with him. I only know it's Tier 4. Bought it at the end of March 2014. If the emissions could get any lower, I'd be astonished. As with Eric's NX6010, no smoke ever. In fact, there's no diesel smell either. :shocked: Very, very faint exhaust smell when starting up in the barn or garage, but not one that I would have associated with a tractor.

/ Tier 4 info #42  
90% sure that's tier 4a, not tier 4 final. They have to stop building tier 4a engines 12/31/14 and have to have production switched to tier4 final 3/31/15.

You're wrong. The NX series is 4B (final) and is replacing the out-going DX series which is the interim tier 4a.

After shopping everybody this spring, I learned that Kioti has a better DPF cleaning strategy than everybody else because the operator is not forced to park it during a regeneration cycle or put into a limp mode during the process.

The issue is how long will DPF filters even be around and how long before somebody like Donaldson makes replacements and the price drops?

/ Tier 4 info #43  
You're wrong. The NX series is 4B (final) and is replacing the out-going DX series which is the interim tier 4a. After shopping everybody this spring, I learned that Kioti has a better DPF cleaning strategy than everybody else because the operator is not forced to park it during a regeneration cycle or put into a limp mode during the process. The issue is how long will DPF filters even be around and how long before somebody like Donaldson makes replacements and the price drops?

Which brands need parked or go into limp mode? Just curious as I haven't heard of that.

/ Tier 4 info #44  
Curious also to know what brand/model needs to have a parked regen. My Kubota can do a parked regen if I want to but it is recommended to be working hard during regen. If there is any power lost I can't notice it and in auto regen while working hard very little extra fuel is used to add additional heat to burn the soot out of the filter. Deere is similar as are Case and New Holland on their DPF equipped machines. Are there some Chinese or Indian tractors that require parked regen?

/ Tier 4 info #45  
Curious also to know what brand/model needs to have a parked regen.

The DPF systems on these things are not made by the tractor company. I suspect you'll find they are all the same. They are denso systems (I think). None of them require a parked or derated regen unless the operator manages to plug the DPF beyond the point that the tractor can regen it during operation. For example... someone running the tractor at idle for hours on end without creating enough heat for a DPF burn, and ignoring the lights on the dash to raise the RPM's. 99% of these are set and forget.

/ Tier 4 info #46  
The DPF systems on these things are not made by the tractor company. I suspect you'll find they are all the same. They are denso systems (I think). None of them require a parked or derated regen unless the operator manages to plug the DPF beyond the point that the tractor can regen it during operation. For example... someone running the tractor at idle for hours on end without creating enough heat for a DPF burn, and ignoring the lights on the dash to raise the RPM's. 99% of these are set and forget.
I counted 163 DPF suppliers worldwide with Donaldson providing the most most for North American production. I notice that if I do some light work like moving large round bales, then switch to high power work like chopping, my DPF plugged percentage will drop burning off some of that soot that accumulated running at low exhaust temperature load. It will, however, increase fastest if I am pulling hard - power meter at or near 100% all the time. Even though the exhaust temp is high, it is not high enough to burn off the soot generated by lugging.

/ Tier 4 info #47  
Correct me where wrong, but when I shopped Kubota and Massey this last spring looking for a 60ish hp tractor, I was told that the Kubota and Massey had to be sidelined while regenerating. The Deere dealer did not know because the 4066R never shipped in time for me to look at.

/ Tier 4 info #48  
I counted 163 DPF suppliers worldwide with Donaldson providing the most most for North American production. I notice that if I do some light work like moving large round bales, then switch to high power work like chopping, my DPF plugged percentage will drop burning off some of that soot that accumulated running at low exhaust temperature load. It will, however, increase fastest if I am pulling hard - power meter at or near 100% all the time. Even though the exhaust temp is high, it is not high enough to burn off the soot generated by lugging.

Donaldson is making the filters already? Sweet, I'll talk to my sister for a discount when the time comes.

Like what you described, I experienced my regeneration cycle using a rotary cutter at a high, set rpm, but low load, rather than when using my loader where the engine revs like a car under demand.

Last edited:
   / Tier 4 info #49  
Donaldson is making the filters already? Sweet, I'll talk to my sister for a discount when the time comes.
[snip]

Great, Eric! We're all family here on TBN, right? ;)

/ Tier 4 info #50  
Correct me where wrong, but when I shopped Kubota and Massey this last spring looking for a 60ish hp tractor, I was told that the Kubota and Massey had to be sidelined while regenerating. The Deere dealer did not know because the 4066R never shipped in time for me to look at.

No, that's not correct. I'm going to screw this up.. but from what I remember there are 5 stages. You don't have to do a parked regen unless you get the point that the operator has prevented the regen process and really plugged the DPF. Most people would never get to that point. I suspect your tractor is probably the same.