Tilling uncut grass

/ Tilling uncut grass #11  
Briars scrape off easily with your bucket, which also will be easier on your tiller.

/ Tilling uncut grass #12  
Your tiller will have an easier time if you plow the area, wait a week or two, then till. Otherwise mow it and till it a few times.

/ Tilling uncut grass #13  
I say, hook up your tiller and give it a try. If you see that it's just winding up the rotor with stuff, just stop and wait for the mower to arrive.

I've tilled ground with grass and even brush just above knee height with some spots above waist height and had absolutely no problems at all. Go slow, give time for the tiller to process the material. Don't start racing over the ground like most mowing and tilling videos on Youtube.

Here is a job I did for someone else early this year. I made 3 passes on the entire ground and I did everything in 540E. Worked great and actually saved a lot of fuel versus running on regular 540.

IMG_20210324_105350.jpg
IMG_20210324_105353.jpg
IMG_20210324_105401.jpg
IMG_20210324_161631.jpg

/ Tilling uncut grass #14  
Another problem that you will have if you just till under that much silage is that it will rob all the nitrogen from the soil as it decays. Whatever you plant in that, until the soil has digested the silage, is going to suffer.

/ Tilling uncut grass #15  
When you till make sure you till every 3 days for
7 or 8 times this should kill all the roots so you
don't have any surprises coming up in your garden!
I don't like to hoe or pull weeds!

willy

/ Tilling uncut grass #16  
You will learn the true meaning of "irritating" if you attempt to till with all that grass still standing. You will spend, at least, 50% of your time unwinding grass. You might even learn some new four letter words.

When I first opened up our garden. Scalped the area with my mower. Used a chunk of woven wire fence behind my ATV to clear all the cut grass. STILL spent hours unwinding grass and root wads using my rototiller.

In retrospect. Should have waited until late fall and burned the area. Broke the ground with my moldboard plow. THEN - hit it with my rototiller.

/ Tilling uncut grass #17  
If you are going to put in a food plot, you need to spray the area with Roundup or some other weed/grass killer and let it sit for a week or so before trying to till it or you will have a new weed bed and the time and money you've spent on seed and fertilizer for your food plot will be wasted. You won't be able to till the weeds out of it.

/ Tilling uncut grass #18  
If you are going to put in a food plot, you need to spray the area with Roundup or some other weed/grass killer and let it sit for a week or so before trying to till it or you will have a new weed bed and the time and money you've spent on seed and fertilizer for your food plot will be wasted. You won't be able to till the weeds out of it.
Not sure roundup would be the best choice Agri vinegar would not affect any potential crops. Especially if they are in an area that does not allow using roundup.

/ Tilling uncut grass #19  
If you have a blade or loader and the plot isn't huge, scrape until the stringy stems are gone. Then till. I've done this many times. I use the loader bucket edge down aggressive and back drag. Not ideal but works.

I till food plots for friends and often they don't have them prepped for tilling correctly. Scraped many with loader to clear for tilling.

/ Tilling uncut grass #20  
So my cutter still hasn’t come in yet and we have a lot of raining coming which is perfect for a fall food plot. Would it be ok on my tiller to till up a spot that has waist high grass/briars? I’d rather wait if it will cause a problem with the tiller and just assume to not have one at all if it comes down it. But if it’s not gonna hurt it I want to use it.
I've been around over five decades. We have a LONG tiller that's been here as long as I can remember. In good shape. But we ALWAYS cut vegetation off and cut again close. Rake it out of the area. I even lawn mower it. Then disc or loosen up somehow. Once tilled it can be tilled each year or so. But be careful the initial time. Grass and weed roots hold soil together. Go slow in low low. Beauty of a tiller is that it shreds the root system. Also we have a 1200 gal propane tank made into a roller, which works good with the tiller. Fill it with water from the pond. Makes it easier to drive on and plant with a planter. We grow food plots for people though.