Tilt Meter Question

/ Tilt Meter Question #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
Question for those of you who have installed tilt meters. After you installed it did it increase or decrease your scope of operation? In other words did you find you could go on slopes you didn't tackle before or did you stop doing slopes when you found out what the tilt really was? I am considering the purchase of one because either my land has shifted slightly over the years, or my sense of level has changed. I find myself more reluctant on some slopes I was on before.

I am using a BX24 with mower, loader, backhoe and boxblade (not all at the same time).

Appreciate the input.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ Tilt Meter Question #2  
Yes I got one of those shortly after I bought my tractor because I hadn't been on a tractor since I was a kid and I was scared to death on my hilly lot and woods. I grew up in hilly dairy farm country and you'd hear about kids rolling tractors and getting squished. Anyway it was probably overblown but that's how I remember it.

I found myself able to go places I was scared to go before I got the meter. I was actually getting scared at about 5 degrees before. Now I can go a little past 10 degrees so I have gotten a lot more done.:) I recommend the meter if you are feeling tentative.

/ Tilt Meter Question #3  
I put 2 on my Kubota B2710; one for side to side and one for front to rear. I guess I probably did go on a little steeper slopes with it than I had before, but the main thing was just that it gave me a little more information than I had before.

/ Tilt Meter Question #4  
A friend gave me one way back when I got my tractor. As I remember it was a good confidence builder and gave me more feedback. After 10 years I now go more by feel and looks. Always remember it is not the slope of the side hill that gets you. It is the unseen soft spot, rut, hole, or rock that does you in. Or a sudden steering change, impliment movement or hangup. Going 20* on the lawn is way different than 20* in the woods.

/ Tilt Meter Question #5  
Yes, I rarely go to 15 in the woods, you've got to have some leeway for that unseen rock or rut. I would also say that the meter is more of a way to get a feel for things. I don't look at it that much now and when I do I'm getting close to 15.

/ Tilt Meter Question #6  
if you have an iphone, there's a tilt meter iphone app, FWIW...