Tilt Steering Won't Tilt

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #1  

rcio7684

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E
The tilt steering on my GC1723 won't tilt. The lever to do so works, but the steering itself column seems to be locked. I haven't tried to move it's position in a month, or two and have been conscious not to grab the steering wheel while getting on the tractor. It's a 2020 with only 37 hours on it and it was purchased last Fall.

Any ideas as to why, or how to repair?

Thanks in advance

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #2  
Oh man are you new 1700 model users spoiled, Tilt steering LMAO. Whats next, a handle on the hood? More ergonomic loader joystick?

JK-I wish I could help but I dont have that feature.

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #3  
This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you've loosened it up enough. There really isn't anything there that would stop it from moving once loose unless it's rusted solid in a short time. You can push the button to release the handle so that it can twist freely and then you can loosen it further.

1627524671654.png
1627524990379.png

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt
The handle moves completely, so I'll investigate further. Thanks for the diagram and help.

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #5  
Oh man are you new 1700 model users spoiled, Tilt steering LMAO. Whats next, a handle on the hood? More ergonomic loader joystick?

JK-I wish I could help but I dont have that feature.
I painted a small aluminum handle red and screwed it to the hood of my gc2400 as the clasp type holder made it hard to lift one handed.
20210729_073748.jpg

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #6  
It could be there is something wrong with your handle and it is twisting on the nut without turning it.

I'll check that and thanks for the info.

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #8  
Sounds like a warranty issue. Have you called the service manager? He probably has the answer you are looking for.

/ Tilt Steering Won't Tilt #9  
Turn the knob/lever like you are tilting the wheel, pull straight out on the knob/lever, turn it back “down”. Repeat. This should loosen the bolt and allow the tilt to move.

Thanks MoMower, I'll give it a try.