Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator #71  
I have my router , NAS and WiFi on UPS, so Generator type doesn't matter.
TV etc. are fine on the Champion without issues.
I think a modern TV has the same issues as a router/nas/wifi - they're all electronic circuits and are presumably similarly sensitive to power deficiencies. Whether or not you actually run into trouble with a normal generator is another matter - I know that "you're not supposed to" use them together, and there are certainly anecdotes about problems, but ... has anyone on TBN ever had a problem?

/ Time for a new portable generator #72  
I always shut the fuel off and run mine dry.
Also keep an intelligent 'keeper' permantly hooked up.
My genny is an 'offshore' 9000 watt and I always watch TV and use my computer while on the genny and never any problems.
Also only use hi-test gas and full synthetic oils.

My take is that most modern electronics are low DC powered and some sort of transformer circuitry is used to convert to that DC and that in itself softens any pulses or wild spikes that damage components.

That said I experience many outages where I live (as many 'blips' as 15 over 24 hrs) and usually some 2-3 serious ones per month ranging from 3 hrs to 6-7 hrs.
Now I'm going on 9 years on my TV and about 7 on this laptop with no repairs needed.

Conveniently my generator sits outside in my lean to wood shed which is up against my concrete foundation so I don't even hear it running in the house.
While exhaust is thru a hole in the shed wall, I also installed a 12 inch 'muffin fan' to exhaust any carbon monoxide that occurs.

This home is well insulated and with the 9000 watt genny I can run 2-3 small ceramic heaters for the colder days until hydro is back up. Plus we have a slow combustion wood stove if needed (and the fireplace).

For cooking we use an induction hot plate and or the microwave oven.
For washing modern hot water tanks keep water usable to even shower for a few days.
Most important is running our septic and well pumps which are on dedicated circuits.

Life is good when U plan well for it.
Only downside is I need to be here to start the generator, but then being retired I mostly am.

/ Time for a new portable generator #73  
I always shut the fuel off and run mine dry.
Also keep an intelligent 'keeper' permantly hooked up.
My genny is an 'offshore' 9000 watt and I always watch TV and use my computer while on the genny and never any problems.
Also only use hi-test gas and full synthetic oils.

My take is that most modern electronics are low DC powered and some sort of transformer circuitry is used to convert to that DC and that in itself softens any pulses or wild spikes that damage components.

That said I experience many outages where I live (as many 'blips' as 15 over 24 hrs) and usually some 2-3 serious ones per month ranging from 3 hrs to 6-7 hrs.
Now I'm going on 9 years on my TV and about 7 on this laptop with no repairs needed.

Conveniently my generator sits outside in my lean to wood shed which is up against my concrete foundation so I don't even hear it running in the house.
While exhaust is thru a hole in the shed wall, I also installed a 12 inch 'muffin fan' to exhaust any carbon monoxide that occurs.

This home is well insulated and with the 9000 watt genny I can run 2-3 small ceramic heaters for the colder days until hydro is back up. Plus we have a slow combustion wood stove if needed (and the fireplace).

For cooking we use an induction hot plate and or the microwave oven.
For washing modern hot water tanks keep water usable to even shower for a few days.
Most important is running our septic and well pumps which are on dedicated circuits.

Life is good when U plan well for it.
Only downside is I need to be here to start the generator, but then being retired I mostly am.
I believe that your "hi-test" gas in Canada is all ethanol free.
That unfortunately is not the case in parts of the USA.

/ Time for a new portable generator #74  
I've had more stagnate fuel problems with the Hondas I own than any other engine.

/ Time for a new portable generator #75  
I've had more stagnate fuel problems with the Hondas I own than any other engine.
It's because they have the carbs leaned out so much, these days...

I've seen the same problem with several brands of these later build small gas engines, I've fixed all of mine by NEVER putting E fuel in them!

SR

/ Time for a new portable generator #76  

I've seen the same problem with several brands of these later build small gas engines, I've fixed all of mine by NEVER putting E fuel in them!

SR
That is the answer!

/ Time for a new portable generator #77  
The guy I bought my property from has a small engine business and he said the same thing about Hondas.

/ Time for a new portable generator #78  
The guy I bought my property from has a small engine business and he said the same thing about Hondas.
i bought a honda snowblower, jetted it up 2 sizes, and runs perfect now

/ Time for a new portable generator #79  
I think a modern TV has the same issues as a router/nas/wifi - they're all electronic circuits and are presumably similarly sensitive to power deficiencies. Whether or not you actually run into trouble with a normal generator is another matter - I know that "you're not supposed to" use them together, and there are certainly anecdotes about problems, but ... has anyone on TBN ever had a problem?

A colleague lost a laptop charger to a small two stroke generator. Not from "spikes" or "impure sine waves" but from the governor sticking at WOT and causing the output to be 300+ Volts.