Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
So it is time for a new portable generator. Wife wants one for her barn. It has a separate well and its own electical panel. Electrician will be out this month to install the proper transfer switch and 30 amp plug in.

I currently have a 6500 watt running (8500 watt surge) portable that I will be "donating" to the barn for use there. She can then have water and lights if the power is out.

For the house I want to get an inverter generator, but I need the 220v and wattage to run the well, fridge and some lights. I am willing to do load management to not run all the things at the same time. I want the inverter so I can run the router for internet and a TV while the power is out.

The house already has a transfer switch and a 30 amp plug.

I am not interested in Harbor Freight junk.

One that has caught my eye is Champion 100520 - 7000 Watt Digital Hybrid Open-Frame Electric Start Inverter Generator w/ Quiet Technology CARB

Also looking for other options. That generator would just about max out the 30 amp plug at 220v so don't really need more power. Looking for good reliability.

Generally it appears we are having about 2 power outages a year lasting about 20 hours each. Electric start is a must have for me as the Mrs. is not going to be able to pull start something that big..... heck I would struggle with it given my back.

Thanks for the input as always.

/ Time for a new portable generator #3  
I have Generac wish I got Honda battery start also quieter.

/ Time for a new portable generator
HF gensets are made in china, aren't the champion gensets from china too?

SR
Yes but three year warantee and lifetime tech support from Champion.

/ Time for a new portable generator #5  
Purhased this at Menards to run our well, working on wiring mods for pump

I also don't trust HF. Inverter systems are nice in that they convert DC to AC. This allows engine to run at various RPM's depending on load. A true RMS inverter is more expensive but more desirable for sensitive electronics. The old school generators produce the correct sinewave, 60hz if engine is governed at 3600rpm, voltage could drop some at max load.

I choose old school to avoid extra electronics that could fail when generator most needed.

/ Time for a new portable generator #6  
Yes but three year warantee and lifetime tech support from Champion.
How will that help you if it doesn't work properly when you need it?

I keep hearing that it's a coin toss with generators from china, so I think it's worth the money to spend more, you know......buy once, cry once......

SR

/ Time for a new portable generator #8  
Yeah, adding in an inverter just gives something else that can go wrong with the machine. The only advantage of the inverter generator is fuel economy at low usage. If only used occasionaly or used at higher power draw when it is used, the regular old plain generator seems wiser. And at very high power draws the inverter gen will actually use "more" fuel because of the added inversion losses!

/ Time for a new portable generator #10