Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator #22  
We've had a 2000 inverter type Honda for years. Its a tool that works when needed and built to last.
I have a Yamaha YG2800i.
Sweet little 2800 watt inverter unit.
A bit more power than the 2000W Honda unit.

I also have a nearly new, but 30 year old, 6500W Honda conventional generator.

/ Time for a new portable generator #23  
So it is time for a new portable generator. Wife wants one for her barn. It has a separate well and its own electical panel. Electrician will be out this month to install the proper transfer switch and 30 amp plug in.

I currently have a 6500 watt running (8500 watt surge) portable that I will be "donating" to the barn for use there. She can then have water and lights if the power is out.

For the house I want to get an inverter generator, but I need the 220v and wattage to run the well, fridge and some lights. I am willing to do load management to not run all the things at the same time. I want the inverter so I can run the router for internet and a TV while the power is out.

The house already has a transfer switch and a 30 amp plug.

I am not interested in Harbor Freight junk.

One that has caught my eye is Champion 100520 - 7000 Watt Digital Hybrid Open-Frame Electric Start Inverter Generator w/ Quiet Technology CARB

Also looking for other options. That generator would just about max out the 30 amp plug at 220v so don't really need more power. Looking for good reliability.

Generally it appears we are having about 2 power outages a year lasting about 20 hours each. Electric start is a must have for me as the Mrs. is not going to be able to pull start something that big..... heck I would struggle with it given my back.

Thanks for the input as always.
So what did you decide?

/ Time for a new portable generator #24  
Champion generators are made in China, in the Zhejiang province. The champion generator company is an American Company and operated by Americans, but its manufacturing and assembling occur in China. They are based in America, California but they do manufacturing in China.

I have a Champion 4000/3500, the only problem I have had with it is regular gas with ethanol in it. Cleaned it good with Sea Foam and now use Hi Test gas without

ethanol.

/ Time for a new portable generator #25  
Champion generators are made in China, in the Zhejiang province. The champion generator company is an American Company and operated by Americans, but its manufacturing and assembling occur in China. They are based in America, California but they do manufacturing in China.

I have a Champion 4000/3500, the only problem I have had with it is regular gas with ethanol in it. Cleaned it good with Sea Foam and now use Hi Test gas without

ethanol.
Be aware: Just because gas may be "Hi Test" gas, it may or may not be ethanol free!

/ Time for a new portable generator #26  
If you are going with gasoline to power the generator, Honda is the gold standard that all other generators compare to for a very good reason. They are better then all the other brands out there.

I spent money on other brands and they all work great the first year, but then they become harder to start, and harder to keep running pretty quickly.

I did not want to spend that much money on a generator. I decided that I was only going to buy a Honda, and after dealing with the shock of what they cost, I rethought what I needed it for. I do not have to power a well. I'm on city water. We lose power all year round, but the longer periods are during winter when we get snow and ice. Those have been as long as 5 days without power.

I went with a Honda 2000 to power the TV, internet, charge our cell phones and keep the lights on. We can get by without anything else.

My long term goal is to connect my house to Natural Gas. I have already had them install the line into the land and it's about 50 feet away from where I'm going to build my 3 car attached garage. When I have that done, I'll get a natural gas generator that's a little bigger, but not really a lot bigger, since we really don't need very much more power. We will use it if we have it, but we can survive just fine off of the stove for heat and warming water to bath.

I do not know what brand to buy for natural gas. I'm not looking right now, but my parents are wanting one for their house and it's become a challenge to figure out what is junk and what is worth the money. Sadly, Honda does not seem to make natural gas generators.

/ Time for a new portable generator #27  
The whole inverter thing is over emphasized.

I have an old military MEP 803A diesel that will run at 10KW plus continuous.

I bought a Duromax for my daughter on one of the $500 ebay sales. It is a dual fuel that will run at 8KW. It has to be the cheapest of the cheap you can get. I was surprised to hear it came out of their shed and fired right up the second season.

Both units have been run non stop for 5 days on two different occasions with nary a hiccup on any of our computers or tvs.

Just saying.

/ Time for a new portable generator #28  
I have no doubt Honda is king.
However, I have a troy built with a Briggs 6500/5000.
I have had it for years, keep up the maintenance, and use the fuel, shut-off valve to stop it when I am done with it.
I let it set for months and it always starts before I can count to 2.

I almost bought the HF inverter 9000/7000 that just came out but I am not sure I really need it for just emergencies. Frankly, 7000 watts didn't impress me either for the cost with my needs.

The Westinghouse 12500/9500 has a hertz meter built-in and I have a hertz plug-in meter to verify it at the house plug. I am not an electrician but I am not convinced I need to pay the additional cost to run TV and laptop for 20-40 hours / year. I may be wrong but somehow have managed all these years with just a genny. Someone prove me wrong: I would like to hear why.

/ Time for a new portable generator #29  
Have you considered the military MEP gen sets? They are big and bulky but you can run them 24 hrs a day if needed. When I was a kid my dad bought many of these from surplus auction and rebuilt the engines for resale. He said the generators would last thousands of hours. I did a quick eBay check and this one popped up 1st with only 82 hrs.

/ Time for a new portable generator #30  
I have an old military MEP 803A diesel that will run at 10KW plus continuous.
I've been tempted, any wet stacking problems? It's been my experience with the 10k's if not loaded...