Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator #31  
I have no doubt Honda is king.
However, I have a troy built with a Briggs 6500/5000.
I have had it for years, keep up the maintenance, and use the fuel, shut-off valve to stop it when I am done with it.
I let it set for months and it always starts before I can count to 2.

I almost bought the HF inverter 9000/7000 that just came out but I am not sure I really need it for just emergencies. Frankly, 7000 watts didn't impress me either for the cost with my needs.

The Westinghouse 12500/9500 has a hertz meter built-in and I have a hertz plug-in meter to verify it at the house plug. I am not an electrician but I am not convinced I need to pay the additional cost to run TV and laptop for 20-40 hours / year. I may be wrong but somehow have managed all these years with just a genny. Someone prove me wrong: I would like to hear why.
The whole inverter thing is over emphasized.

I have an old military MEP 803A diesel that will run at 10KW plus continuous.
lol! You must have posted as I was typing. MEP’s are great! I believe they are converted to LPG by simply buying a forklift conversion kit.
edit: for the gas engines

/ Time for a new portable generator #32  

Attachments

• 3CCDF92E-668F-40AB-B2D2-5A50F4DDF78A.jpeg
    3CCDF92E-668F-40AB-B2D2-5A50F4DDF78A.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 64
   / Time for a new portable generator #33  
I've been tempted, any wet stacking problems? It's been my experience with the 10k's if not loaded...
No wet stacking. I built a load bank using four 5400W dryer elements. I connected two in series to half the load. I run it under a 40A load for an hour every month. It is divided up in three circuits so I can apply the load in increments.
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

During the two 5 day straight runs I used it it never started smoking or anything. We did turn on the stove breaker and bake cookies a couple of times just to load it when we didn't need AC running. Both of the hurricane outage we had the weather was mild so we didn't need AC. I would also run the hot water heater for an hour each morning so that would give it a good daily load.

All that said I probably would not consider a MEP now. They became so popular that they are selling within a few thousand of a brand new Perkins from Hardy. I bought mine before people started buying them up and shipping them to Puerto Rico. I was all in, hooked to the house with an interlock, and load bank built for $2000.

/ Time for a new portable generator #34  
I have a Champion 9000 Starting Watts-gas- about 15 years old.
Use it 2-5 times per year with ethanol High test and Stabil
Runs for days on end, not fuel efficient, but works.
I use the electric start and run carb dry after each use.
Change oil and it keeps going.

/ Time for a new portable generator #35  
If your going to spend honda money and own a diesel tractor I would seriously look at what kubota, cummins and yanmar offer for a 1800rpm diesel generator.

/ Time for a new portable generator #36  
If your going to spend honda money and own a diesel tractor I would seriously look at what kubota, cummins and yanmar offer for a 1800rpm diesel generator.
Kubota has the Loboy series. They are a bit pricey. They seem to be popular as a backup on Mobil solar setups around here in the desert.

/ Time for a new portable generator
Ok so new question.... is the need for a inverter type hype as some have posited in this thread? I want to run the router for internet and the tv. Since we live in an area prone to tornados keeping up on those issues is important. I do have a place I can keep the generator out of the weather and still running and hooked up to the house.

/ Time for a new portable generator #40  
Ok so new question.... is the need for a inverter type hype as some have posited in this thread? I want to run the router for internet and the tv. Since we live in an area prone to tornados keeping up on those issues is important. I do have a place I can keep the generator out of the weather and still running and hooked up to the house.
If you plan to run electronic devices, and are going to buy a NEW generator, you definitely should buy an inverter style generator.