Time to start the garden...

/ Time to start the garden... #52  
Peas starting to P here..!! First one I saw up on Thursday. More yesterday after that warm rain.

Attachments

• 20230427_111920.jpg
    20230427_111920.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
   / Time to start the garden... #53  
Not Garden related necessarily but... @DJ54, @LD1 or others in Ohio. Where would you buy grass seed for about 1.5 acres? Do they still sell it at the local elevators?

What's a good mix for Central Ohio yards with almost full sun?

/ Time to start the garden... #54  
Depending on your location, some elevators do, and some will sell you the amount you want, not just by a certain sized bag full. One of the best places I've bought seed was the Seed Center Welcome to The Seed Center - The Seed Center He's located on S.R. 36 West of Delaware at Ostrander. He can make suggestions to what you want as an end result you're looking for and can custom blend about anything you want.

I bought seed from him for my hayfield. I got several different types, some was as much as a 50 lb. bag, 20-25 of another, and one as little as 5lb. Heck of nice guy to deal with. He has a huge amount on hand, as he sells to many contractors, and farmers alike.

It was an hours drive for me to get there, but I'd ordered it over the phone, and order was ready when I got there. It was worth it to me and will be my go to place for hard to find forage seeds, and had exactly what I wanted, not just what everyone else uses. And prices were actually a little less than other places I looked, probably because of his bulk buying. Don't know that I've ever seen that much grass/forage/haylage/ cover crop seed in one spot.

/ Time to start the garden... #55  
Tomorrow I’m going to plant tomatoes. It’s way too cold, but I use the walls of water mini greenhouses and I’ve had no damage with freezing down to 24 degrees with those things. They also warm the soil and promote root growth during the cool season. I usually remove them in early June. Gardening at 6,900’ elevation has its challenges, but after 30+ years, I have figured out what works (most years).

/ Time to start the garden... #56  
I have about a bushel of potatoes left from last year. Most years by now they have started to grow in the boxes and are even difficult to separate.
This year the eyes have just started to grow and kind of grudgingly. I'm at a loss if they will grow if I put them out or not.
I'm going to be buying seed potatoes anyways but I hate to throw these out.
Is it worth taking a chance on these or not I wonder?
They won't be going in the ground soon anyways. Rain and rain. Would be nice if we could save some for the summer drought.

/ Time to start the garden... #57  
I'd try them, if they are starting to show signs of sprouting, you don't have much to lose but some time and effort. If where they were stored was a little cooler this year than in the past, that may be the reason they are sprouting slow.

/ Time to start the garden... #58  
this week sucks. Maybe 50 degrees today and mid 40s rest of the week and rainy.
In the summer when we're parched they say 90% chance of rain and we get zippo.
Right now, slight chance of showers and it pours. SOB!

/ Time to start the garden... #59  
this week sucks. Maybe 50 degrees today and mid 40s rest of the week and rainy.
In the summer when we're parched they say 90% chance of rain and we get zippo.
Right now, slight chance of showers and it pours. SOB!
I hear ya'. about 10 years ago I mowed hay down, with the prediction of 10% chance of rain the day I was going to bale. I lived 20 miles from where the hay was. Brought up the NOAAH weather site to check the forecast. Still predicting 10% chance. Happened to noticed a small red area on radar in the whole State of Ohio. Yup, right where the hay was. Ended up losing that cutting because rain moved in the next day for several days. Rolled it up, and dumped in the hollow. Made a dandy backstop for target practice though. But let me spread Urea on that field with a 70%-80% chance of rain, and it will rain 2 miles to the North or South of here, sometimes closer. Then sun for a week... All that money evaporated into the atmosphere... After that, sowed a specific Clover to do that job.

/ Time to start the garden... #60  
This morning almost gave me hope that I may start something.
About 40 degrees, blue skies, sunshine.
Then boom, clouds and rain move in.
Don't you just hate when the weather person is right, especially after they've been wrong when it really counted.