Tiny tractor hay.

/ Tiny tractor hay. #71  
I have no pictures unfortunately but back in the 1950s my family had a 1954 Massey Harris Pacer (which I still have) and had what was called a "buck rake" for it which was a misnomer because it was not a rake but rather what looked like a "steel bed headboard" with a frame at the bottom that had slots to accept sharpened 2x4 forks. It hinged on brackets welded to the front axle and was raised by cables between the frame and the hydraulic arms on the Pacer. The rig was about 10 feet wide with about 6 or 7 forks pointing forward.

Using it involved running the forks under a hay shock or winrow and scooping up a load of hay to be lifted on the rig and then transported to where the hay was being stacked or stored.

/ Tiny tractor hay. #72  
   / Tiny tractor hay. #74  
Was that in Europe (Austria)?
Yes... keen eye.

Small 20-40 acre Dairy farms, often fields sloped to the extreme, cows happy to be out in Spring/Summer, farms passed down through the family for generations and Grandpa's farmhouse from 1700's...

In Austria it's not the size of the farm but what you do with it or being able to live the simple farm life where others come to vacation

Steyr the Tractor division specialized in small haying with simple rugged tractors and equipment... kind of like the Model T of European Tractors with every farm having one, standard crank start diesel and pto belt drive used often as in powering the blower to move hay to the loft and running the buzz saw or thresher...

It's amazing what a 15 hp diesel tractor can do with many having 40+ years in daily use...

Being in remote mountains without electricity the tractors had to be reliable in any weather and hand crank...

Here is how I started in winter with a REAL glow plug

Last edited:
   / Tiny tractor hay. #75  
You could post pictures of THAT for our viewing pleasure.

What can I say, I like looking at old tractors and trucks!
You said the magic words... (it is also the star of my avatar...)

Pacer Tractor Repainted April 08.JPG

Pacer Tractor Repainted April 08 (12).jpg

P1100494.JPG

20160526_105707.jpg

20200809_151614.jpg

/ Tiny tractor hay. #76  
Back in the 40's & 50's dad had a JD A that pulled around a 12A combine and a New Holland 76 baler. JD A 24 hp and 3783 lb. NH 76 baler about 4800 lb. 12A jd combine about 3500 lb. The farm and other he worked on were NOT flat! He farmed some very steep land. Never had a problem although there were times you had to think how you were going to go on the hill.
Advertising literature even had an N series Ford pulling a New Holland. Ferguson had a mounted baler. Most balers from that era were huge and often weighed as much as or more than available tractors, so those that operated them had to be careful and most of all think before they got in a bad situation.
Enjoy the videos

/ Tiny tractor hay.
Is this to be a hobby or a profit making adventure? Or are you interested in something altogether different - like comparing types of grasses, or the various ways to store hay .....or if in bales - the types of balers?

Knowing where you are headed will help you to get there. "Hobby Farm" covers a lot of territory. Do you have a use for the hay yourself?

TBNers are kind of oriented towards opinions on cost and profitabiliy rather than say a discussion on haying equipment, curing, or grasses.

rScotty
It will be an adventure in general. Grew up in Alaska (Fairbanks) and ran off to join the Marine Corps in 1987. Joined the National guard in 2005 after I got sick of watching everything on the tube. Will be retiring from the military and my civilian job within a couple of years of each other.
When we bought this place the “Green Acres” folks who sold it left all of their animals (goats, chickens, geese) which got me thinking about goat cheese. Actually I think about cheese a lot in general. I want to grow the herd and start producing artisan cheeses. My wife wants to open a boutique as well (they are very popular in this part of the country). The hay will be to feed my animals and sell the surplus. My fields are currently plowed under in anticipation of putting in beans next spring. Won’t put hay back in until 2024. Who knows where it will all end up, maybe just a weed covered pile of rust but hopefully something fun.