Tire and Row Spacing

/ Tire and Row Spacing #1  

Loweralaabama

Tractor
Cub Cadet EX3200
Is there a general small tractor book out there that explains common small farm row crop spacing, associated wheel spacing, plow depths, disc angle, etc, etc?

/ Tire and Row Spacing #2  
Is there a general small tractor book out there that explains common small farm row crop spacing, associated wheel spacing, plow depths, disc angle, etc, etc?

I don't know a book specifically but you can simply look up the answer to specific questions like these online. I'll answer a few I know off of the top of my head.

Common row spacing is half of your wheel centerline spacing. For example, if you run 30" rows, you want a 60" wheel centerline spacing for a tractor when you are straddling two rows as is often done with tractor cultivation.

Plow depth on a moldboard plow is half of the bottom width, for example 7" deep on a 14" wide plow bottom.

A steeper gang angle on a disc will be more aggressive and a shallower angle will be less aggressive. Typically this is relative as the disc will only have a certain adjustment range.

/ Tire and Row Spacing #3  
A steeper gang angle on a disc will be more aggressive and a shallower angle will be less aggressive. Typically this is relative as the disc will only have a certain adjustment range.

/ Tire and Row Spacing #4  
Lower
You might want to check to see what wheels widths are available on your tractor. Some smaller tractors have very minimal adjustment while others usually larger tractors have infinite adjustment.

Common row crop widths today are 15”, 20”, 30”, 36-38”.

/ Tire and Row Spacing #5  
Lower
You might want to check to see what wheels widths are available on your tractor. Some smaller tractors have very minimal adjustment while others usually larger tractors have infinite adjustment.

The wheel type also can give some adjustment as well. You could change a welded wheel where there is only "dished in" and "dished out" to a demountable ("8 position") wheel where you have a separate disc and rim or a power-adjust wheel with the spiraled bars that you can adjust in or out. You rarely see power-adjust wheels on a tractor newer than the 1970s but there's no reason you could not retrofit them on a newer tractor, as long as you don't put them too far in and get interference.

/ Tire and Row Spacing #6  
s there a general small tractor book out there that explains common small farm row crop spacing, associated wheel spacing, plow depths, disc angle, etc, etc?
Dunno of one. I do this:
I tried plowing - well I did plow in the fall. I won't again - don't think I'll need to. Then I tilled in some mushroom compost. In the spring I tilled again and then hilled the rows.
Hilling, I run the tractor in a straight line (as straight as possible) then
Come around to the start of the next row and put my left-hand tire in/on the track left by the right-hand tires of the tractor and repeat. That gives me a spacing that's a skosh over 4 feet and is perfect for the black weed control cloth.
Of course tractor size and wheel spacing may differ.

Depth of plow? As deep as it'll go. it's a 16" two bottom
Depth of tilling? as deep as it'll go. It's a large Howard Selectatilth.
Disc? Don't have one I use a tiller.

/ Tire and Row Spacing
I don't know a book specifically but you can simply look up the answer to specific questions like these online. I'll answer a few I know off of the top of my head.

Common row spacing is half of your wheel centerline spacing. For example, if you run 30" rows, you want a 60" wheel centerline spacing for a tractor when you are straddling two rows as is often done with tractor cultivation.

Plow depth on a moldboard plow is half of the bottom width, for example 7" deep on a 14" wide plow bottom.

Thanks for your time and sharing this information

/ Tire and Row Spacing
   / Tire and Row Spacing
Lower

Thanks