tire chains

/ tire chains #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
I have some places I need to get to with my tractor, but can't due to snow and ice. So I went down and bought some of Les Schwab's heavy duty truck tire chains that would fit my front 10 x 16.5's (the only chains in town that would fit) hoping that would give me enough traction so I could get the job done. They didn't help at all! the cross chains fall between the lugs of the tires and provide no extra grip what-so-ever.
IMG_20190314_120623091.jpg

So I am thinking I need to order rear chains, but in the mean time, I am also thinking about tying each pair of cross chains together with chain repair links to make an "x" pattern across the tread. Hopefully that wont make the chains too short to fit. According to you all's experience, is that going to help me find some traction??

/ tire chains #3  
The number of chain links between the chains that go across the tread is the issue. Yours looks like 4-5. A good style for tractor tires is something like 1-2.

My fear is you are chasing a fix that won’t work. The proper set of V bar chains for the front of your machine should be under $100. I’ve had great luck with mine- but all I’m going is my frozen driveway!

/ tire chains
With hindsight, I am sure that I didn't buy the right style of chains, but they were all I could get immediately. Your site for helping to select tire chains is appreciated, Atitus. That will help me when I buy chains for the rear (next winter). But I am not about to do the ideal thing of throwing away a $130 set of chains and go buy a new pair for the front. I am just not that wealthy to throw money around like that. I am sure that someone can offer suggestions of a way to modify these chains to make them work better with these R4 tires. I would guess if I just went to more cross-links, even doubled the number, I would still have same problem. The cross links would just nestle between every set of lugs rather than every other set.

/ tire chains #6  
From your pic, it looks like you have enough chain to offset or make the cross links go a little diagonally across the tire keeping the chain on at least the area where if crosses the lug. Keeping them there can be a problem.

/ tire chains #7  
if they will fit after, you could put a couple links between each cross in the center, this would hold them at an angle to the tred and could get them to stay above the tred blocks. you could try it out with some quick links and get repair links to do it permanently.

/ tire chains #8  
Your thought of making an X out of every two cross chains will get you a bit more traction.
It will be a grabby traction as you will have an X then a large bar spot an another X and a bare spot.
It may help in deep snow.
I would not recommend trying to get the chains to run diagonally as they will walk off the tire.

It is amazing the difference quality chains will make, in deep snow in the woods the old style double ring chains do good,
they are poor on ice and the ride on hard ground is terrible.

If you can swing them and will need them more then once every few years the studded Euro style will provide excellent traction as well as a decent ride.

/ tire chains #9  
You may be able to work each cross link over a tread, then tighten the side chains to hold them in place. I did that every fall with a set of old heavy truck cross chains on the rear of my L275, it took some time to get them right but once they did I was good for the winter.
It looks like you have plenty of room to do your original idea though.

As an aside; I've run chains on tractors and pickups for 40 years and never used or needed side tensioners. If the chains are the right width and properly installed they aren't necessary.

/ tire chains
I think I will try making the x-pattern similar to the duo grips, tying the cross links at two places about 3" apart rather than just one in the center. As I have 13 cross links, I will have to add one to make things come out even. There are not enough lap links or any cross chains at the local hardware store so I will have to make a trip to the big city to get parts. The weather is predicted to clear :cool2: so this will probably not get done in time for this winter. I will purchase some duo-grips or some other x-style for the rear as they seem the most practical. I am now a bit worried about the effectiveness of any chains installed on R4 tires. Without better traction on ice and snow, my tractor is severely limited in value in the winter with all the hills around where I live.