Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #11  
Probably does but it references a tire that is not liquid filled. if the valve on a liquid filled tire is at the bottom .... its under water right?
thats why your gauge is getting wet.
if the valve is at the top then its out of the water. What you arnt seeing is the tire never gets 100% filled with liquid. there has to be somewhere for the air to pressurize the tire and the tire to flex. Usually filled around 70-80% of the tire.
But if person filling tires with liquid isn't being very watchful tire can be filled with too much liquid which will be above valve stem @ 12 o'clock. BTDT seen that several times.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #12  
I have been using a regular gauge for 10 years without issue. Put the valve stem at 12 o'clock and briefly burp it to let any liquid out of the valve before you attach the gauge.

If this was bad for the gauge surely it would have died by now.

If the tire has been properly filled to cover the rim you'll likely still get some liquid even at 12 o'clock (I know I do). As others suggested, just get a liquid-compatible stick-type gauge at Tractor Supply for $9.00.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #13  
But if person filling tires with liquid isn't being very watchful tire can be filled with too much liquid which will be above valve stem @ 12 o'clock. BTDT seen that several times.

According to some manuals, the valve stem should be covered. This is from my 2720 manual:

"Fill tubeless tires at least to valve stem level (minimum 75% full). Less solution would expose part of rim, possibly
causing corrosion."

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #14  
Liquid ballast filled to just covering valve stem won't leave 25% for air & filling to just over valve stem will leave some of rim inside of tubeless tire exposed to air for possible corrosion.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-22 144035.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-22 144035.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2021-05-22 145121.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-22 145121.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
   / Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #15  
What would be a good tire gauge to buy to check pressure in ballasted tires. I heard a regular gauge won’t work at for long.
I've a pressure gauge, similar to a regular one, that can be used to check filled tires. Don't recall where I got it.

I highly recommend this one pictured from HF.

Attachments

• Harbor Freight Air Gauge.JPG
    Harbor Freight Air Gauge.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 55
   / Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #16  
I don't know how full my tractor's tyres are, but when I tried to check the pressure, water came out of the valve (at the 12 o'clock position). I could just let the water drop to the level below the valve, but don't want to lose more than necessary. Does the weight of the tractor affect whether or not the fluid will leak out? If it does, then I am wondering if it would be a good idea to push the ballast block down onto the ground so that it takes the weight off the back wheels and then check the pressures.
Or, am I totally over-thinking the 'problem'?

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #17  
Liquid ballast filled to just covering valve stem won't leave 25% for air & filling to just over valve stem will leave some of rim inside of tubeless tire exposed to air for possible corrosion.
Tx Jim, does it require air for corrosion (rust)? I have seen lots of steel rust while being totally submerged in water. Do they not add a corrosion inhibitor instead of using pain water?

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #18  
   / Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #19  
Tx Jim, does it require air for corrosion (rust)? I have seen lots of steel rust while being totally submerged in water. Do they not add a corrosion inhibitor instead of using pain water?
I was merely replying to previous post. Sorry I'm not a chemist in fact I failed chemistry the 1st time I took the class in college. Calcium chloride is very corrosive but I've seen rear tractor wheels that took many yrs for CCL to ruin them. Antifreeze is not very corrosive. I've always been told corrosion requires oxygen BUT H2O contains oxygen.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #20  
Milton & Napa makes good quality gauges for liquid filled.
their spring loaded & push the liquid out of gauge when taken off the valve stem.

I liquid (20% A/F) overfill frt & back tubeless tires on all my tractors for extra weight, traction & ride.

I can See the sweat line on tires in the winter & it’s 3r4 inches above valve stem at 12:eek: clock