tire - valve stem leak

/ tire - valve stem leak #11  
Back back a bit there mark .. tractor tires being tubeless, yes some are now (last 2-3 years)but cross ply and 12-14 ply wire tires have tubes in them .ok smaller tractors yes ya maybe right but i think around 60hp +ya will find most are running tubes from day one (maybe cos the builders of them know most will be filled)
JD Kid

/ tire - valve stem leak #12  
My M6800 (68HP) is tubeless. They are filled with over 500# per tire of water/antifreeze (non-toxic type). They wanted $40 USD labor per tire plus about $20 USD for the tubes if I wanted them installed. How is everything on the other side of the world. Summer about here in Texas - 100 degrees predicted this week. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tire - valve stem leak #13  
I've got two old rear rims torched into quarters just to get them off the tires. The tires were all that was good. They had been toobed and filled with CalChl. They had a rusted hole big enough to push a punkn' thru around the valve stems. $90 for new and $70 for used 24". I'd a let you have the Calcium Chloride, but it killed some weeds.

You play with them wet and you pay for them wet./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ tire - valve stem leak #14  
Sorry for the misspelled Toobed!!! Jamie's looking over my shoulder and is correcting me. I SHOULD have typed "TUBED". I know they are not tubs. But if 80085 don't spell BOOBS, I'll eat my hat. Pass the Calcium Chloride, please. It must be getting late. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ tire - valve stem leak #15  
Hi ya Wen..maybe i spoke to soon about tubeless but as ya say ya it has non-toxic filling in ya tires so rust is not a prob with running tubeless ...as for the "OTHER SIDE" we are going in to winter but could do with more rain:( ,only other prob is fuel (gas)has gone up again to about (nzd)$1.10per liter (usa workings) about $2.47 per gal ..i just got to ask why the hell do ya want anti-freeze in 100 degrees, how cold do ya get there ??? we get down to about 14 dF only then would we add antifreeze
cya
JD Kid

/ tire - valve stem leak #16  
Thanks. I had a wrong impression i guess. I do recall people talking about 75% fill going over the top of the rim to lessen corrosion. Guess that does imply tubeless tires. If there are corrosion problems on the rims using CACL fill with tubeless tires, I guess tubes eliminate it. If so, there must be some real disadvantage to using tubes.

/ tire - valve stem leak #17  
Mark, I've long had a preference for tubeless tires on everything (and radials, of course), but are you sure about tractors "usually" not having tubes. All the farmer friends I have around here have tubes in their tires. I never asked my dealer about my B2710, so I don't know for sure that the R1s I have are the "standard" tires for it; I just bought it as it was, on the dealer's lot, but it came with Goodyear tubeless on the front and Firestone tube type on the rear. When I first noticed it, I was puzzled by that, but then assumed that maybe it was because the manual talks about putting calcium chloride in the rear tires for ballast and says to not put ballast in the front tires.

Bird

/ tire - valve stem leak #18  
A neighbor just told a couple of days ago that he had to buy new wheels (used wheels) last week for the old Oliver he's had for 4 years. He bought it from a dealer here in Texas, but it came from up north and had calcium chloride in the tires when he bought it. Now it had rusted out the valve stem holes too big to keep using those rims.

Bird

/ tire - valve stem leak
hey guys, thanks for all the great advice. I guess I should have been more specific ... the leak was at the "bottom" (tube end) rather than the top ... yes, I would have replaced the core if it had been dripping from there.
And I eventually figured out that if I got the pressure off the tire, it would stop leaking at the pressure stabilized (sometimes things are logical to me right away ... sometimes the lightbulb goes on after I get a good nights sleep, wander out to the garage and say "where'd that water come from").
I found out my 1/2" impact will only affect one in 6 nuts ... that a 1/2" socket bar and a 4 foot persuader work, ... and that a L3710 is da**ed heavy!! Since I haven't gotten around to building an a-frame chain hoist stand (on rollers) yet ... it was a good thing that I'd bought one of them 2 ton rolling shop cranes in a moment of weakness! (Otherwise I'd have had to remount the wheel and trailer the tractor to the dealers!
Looks like a pinched tube (poorly installed) ... but it'll take a day for them to get it done and let me know. I had a whole 21-1/2 hours on that puppy ... thank I'll get out the welder and mount those guards on the rim!
I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

too bad that common sense ain't

/ tire - valve stem leak #20  
I dunno - could be a regional thing, I guess. I know years ago, they were all tubeless, but almost none of the farmers I know use tubes, unless they're using calcium chloride, which is rare. Of course, they all run radials, too, so maybe that's the distinction.

My Michelin XM27 11LR16 front tires just came in today. I'm hoping I'll be able to get them mounted tomorrow. I'm anxious to try them out. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark