TN95A clutch broke.

/ TN95A clutch broke. #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I was moving loads of mulch with workers around. Pushed in the clutch started dumping the bucket, put it in reverse, continued dumping and the tractor started backing up!

I am standing on the clutch, standing on the brake, the engine sounds like it is going to run away. I am thinking I have a run away diesel. The tractor is still going backwards. I am thinking it won't stop and the engine is going to blow.
I think, turn off the fuel. How do I do that?

It is not my IH with a leaver.... How do I turn off the fuel.... Fuel solenoid, turn off the key.
I turned off the key and the engine died. Good! Now what happened?
The engine did not run away. I was panicking with the unexpected event.

Clutch pedal is in. I raised it up and it fell back down. Checked all the linkage. Looks good to the shaft entering the case.

What could cause this.
Flywheel?...No
Clutch plate?... No not a limp pedal.
Pressure plate? ... Maybe a limp pedal, but with an engaged clutch plate?
Pilot bearing?...No.
Throwout bearing?...Yes. I think this is my broken part.
Anyone got any other ideas?

I am hoping that if I talk about it long enough it will fix itself.
So far that not working.

/ TN95A clutch broke. #2  
fork on throwout bearing maybe

/ TN95A clutch broke.
I am dreading splitting it. I have too many irons ing the fire. Way too many things to do. And, I do not have the "proper" tools. I got lots of tools, but not the ones to handle all that weight. I have muscle issues from taking Lipitor. Some days I can hardly lift 40 lbs. On a good day I can lift 60/70 lbs.
I seem to find a way to get things done.
I will probably start on it Monday or Tuesday.

On the Lipitor note. Since I quit taking it I have talked to several people whom have had the same issues with "staten" (spelling) drugs.

/ TN95A clutch broke. #5  
Is this the cab tractor that is similar to the Case Farmall 95? If so I had the something happen last fall.

It turned out the clutch cable had stretched & broken internally. You couldn't tell by looking and enough of the wire strands were not broken that the cable would move but wouldn't engage the clutch.

When I called the dealer they said there is actually a service bulletin out on this problem for the Farmall.

$40 & a few hours later I was back in business.

/ TN95A clutch broke. #6  
Is this the cab tractor that is similar to the Case Farmall 95? If so I had the something happen last fall.

It turned out the clutch cable had stretched & broken internally. You couldn't tell by looking and enough of the wire strands were not broken that the cable would move but wouldn't engage the clutch.

When I called the dealer they said there is actually a service bulletin out on this problem for the Farmall.

$40 & a few hours later I was back in business.

He said the cross shaft was moving where it entered the (clutch) case.

/ TN95A clutch broke. #7  
He said the cross shaft was moving where it entered the (clutch) case.
I must be missing something. I don't see where he said that. I saw where he said the linkage looked good to the shaft.

When mine broke you couldn't tell it was broken by looking at it from below. You could only see it once I pulled the cable out.

/ TN95A clutch broke.
The cross shaft was moving.

/ TN95A clutch broke. #10  
I was moving loads of mulch with workers around. Pushed in the clutch started dumping the bucket, put it in reverse, continued dumping and the tractor started backing up!

I am standing on the clutch, standing on the brake, the engine sounds like it is going to run away. I am thinking I have a run away diesel. The tractor is still going backwards. I am thinking it won't stop and the engine is going to blow.
I think, turn off the fuel. How do I do that?

It is not my IH with a leaver.... How do I turn off the fuel.... Fuel solenoid, turn off the key.
I turned off the key and the engine died. Good! Now what happened?
The engine did not run away. I was panicking with the unexpected event.

Clutch pedal is in. I raised it up and it fell back down. Checked all the linkage. Looks good to the shaft entering the case.

What could cause this.
Flywheel?...No
Clutch plate?... No not a limp pedal.
Pressure plate? ... Maybe a limp pedal, but with an engaged clutch plate?
Pilot bearing?...No.
Throwout bearing?...Yes. I think this is my broken part.
Anyone got any other ideas?

I am hoping that if I talk about it long enough it will fix itself.
So far that not working.
I had a similar occurrence on a TD95D. Clutch cable adjusting nut backed off and I lost control of the clutch while I was heading at a fence. I had to shut the key off to keeping from hitting it.. You need three universal joints in your arm to adjust that clutch cable! I'm building some special tools to be able to adjust it correctly.