TnT Hydraulic connection??? BSPPM vs. NPTM

/ TnT Hydraulic connection??? BSPPM vs. NPTM #21  
So I got the toplink from surplus center, description reads that the "Ports: 3/8" BSPP" but it also says that it "Ships with two 3/8" BSPPM to 3/8" NPTM connectors". :confused:

I never used BSPP... Don't know what it looks like but when I screw in what I think is BSPP into the lock valve (labeled base in photo) It's very loose until the final turn. I feel like that will surely leak.

When I turn the connector over and use the NPTM, it feels good and tightens up as I screw it in. I am not sure which one the lock valve is threaded for... can I just screw in any 3/8" NPTF connector into the block?

Basically, in the photo, which connector is screwed in correctly? A or B?

It also seems that the swivel I plan to use really likes to screw onto what is labeled "A" BSPP.... it's really tight (just using fingers :confused2:)

PS... It was shipped with "B" threads facing out (the loose fitting way)

Link to top link:
Surplus Center - 2X11X1.18 CAT I HYD DA TOP LINK CYL

It has been a while since I watched this forum, but it looks like more members are having the same questions I had.

The unit you have there looks EXACTLY like the HTL I bought from CCM. I am guessing they are the same unit.

The block on the HTL has two holes. CCM says they are BSPP -- and upon inspection, I see no evidence of them being anything other than BSPP.

The two fittings included in the HTL are BSPP to NPT (male) fittings. The BSPP end (labled "A" in your pics) go in the BSPP threads in the block (labled "base" in your pics). The NPT (male) end is used for connecting hydraulic lines.

The problem is: CCM states there is no washer/o-ring required for the BSPP fitting into the base. I have personally called CCM and received this answer on two separate occasions. Everyone else that has commented on this on TBN (some who appear to be hydraulic experts) say that is nonsense -- a washer/o-ring (for BSPP fittings) is required.

I don't doubt the experts, however it is troubling that the manufacturer states otherwise.

One thing I do know, the threads in the "base" (in your pics) are NOT NPT. The fittings you have are correct and you should use the BSPP end to go into the base. However the washer/o-ring issue still lives on...

After tightening, my BSPP fittings (without washer/o-ring) do not leak. Because of this, I have not disassembled mine to install a washer/o-ring. My main concern about installing a washer/o-ring is that there appears to be a recess where the washer would go. I don't know if the recess is large enough to allow the washer to seat properly. Since I don't have any leaks now, I am reluctant to mess with it.

I was happy to see CCM leave comments, until I saw they didn't really address the issue.

/ TnT Hydraulic connection??? BSPPM vs. NPTM
...I was happy to see CCM leave comments, until I saw they didn't really address the issue...
Yea, CCM posted that same comment in 3 or 4 other places. Thanks for your comments... I'll post how it goes.

I'm trying to loosen the block to turn it 90* and it's a mother :mad::confused3: could not get the nut to move. Will try again to night.

/ TnT Hydraulic connection??? BSPPM vs. NPTM #23  
Yea, CCM posted that same comment in 3 or 4 other places. Thanks for your comments... I'll post how it goes.

I'm trying to loosen the block to turn it 90* and it's a mother :mad::confused3: could not get the nut to move. Will try again to night.
Yes you can turn the valve body 90 degree. We also offer a Banjo hose kit for the same price as the straight in kit.

/ TnT Hydraulic connection??? BSPPM vs. NPTM #24  
If anyone thinks they have improper or leaking fittings CCM provided just call us and we will replace them. We have thousands of hydraulic toplinks working properly in the USA. It is possible an improper BSPP to NPT could have been sent with your toplink. This is not a safety issue because the double piloted check valve locks the toplink in place.

We are not saying there is a problem but we want our customers to check the product they purchased from us. Customer satisfaction is what we strive for in all our products. Thank you for your business.

Mark Carter

Mine leaked after installation. My hydraulics supplier determined that CCM sent the incorrect fittings. He phoned CCM, spoke with Mark and was told that CCM would reimburse me the cost of the correct fittings if I sent CCM a copy of the receipt. 2-3 weeks after mailing a copy of the receipt, I've yet to see that reimbursement. That said, with the new fittings, there are no leaks and I'm very happy with the unit.