To 240D or Not To 240D

/ To 240D or Not To 240D #1  

veedub

Tractor
None yet.
I am looking at a pasquali italian articulating tractor that I think might be just the ticket for my land which is both steep, soft, and generally wet. But I also found a nice 240D that is cheaper and much closer and should be easier to find parts and information for. Currently I run a 1955 Ferguson to-35 which I cant get to 80% of my property with due to traction issues.

I think I have confirmed through research the 240s had a rear locker, do they have front locking axles as well? Is it full time 4wd. I want the tractor for scraping the driveway, some bush hog work, and light logging for personal use. Will the 240 be up to my difficult terrain or should I fork out the extra $1000 and 5 hour drive for the Pasquali?

/ To 240D or Not To 240D #3  
No locking FWD, so you basically have 1, 2 or 3wd. U must use locking rear sparingly, if try to turn with it engaged you will break something.

/ To 240D or Not To 240D #4  
YM240 is too narrow and tall for what you describe. Sideways on slippery and steep is a recipe for rollover. I never thought about this before someone posted here long ago that he saw their YM240 laying on its side occasionally at a flat warehouse site, probably from a fast turn with raised loader bucket. These aren't heavy and wide like your Ferguson TO-35.

4wd will help go straight up a slope but it won't help much when the tractor wants to slide sideways.

The Italian/Swiss articulated 4wd tractors are made for the steep terrain you describe.

Added: some even have a pto shaft geared for powering a drive axle on the matching trailer. 6 wheel drive, all articulated!

Don't try this with Yanmar!

isodiametrici3%2012-14.jpg

Last edited:
   / To 240D or Not To 240D #5  
Hoye now sells a spacer kit for the rears that I think make the wheel stance 6 to 8 inches wider, without looking again I just don't remember exactly. I want it, but I don't have too many spots where I am on a slope but when you do get there there is a pucker factor

/ To 240D or Not To 240D #6  
I had mine on a small side hill cutting grass and hit rut and up off the ground came the Drive wheel. Stopped me dead and sideways on top of that!!! I was moving in the seat awful slow to step on the Rear Differential. If it wasn't for the Mower without a doubt I would have been over. Have to through in a major bomb on that pucker factor. Lucky I was able to get the front wheels turned down hill and the Dr. wheel changed. About the first Yr. I owned it so I learned my lesson quick...