Buying Advice To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #1  

jKlaus

Tractor
TBD
Hey guys, I'm a new member but have been reading threads on here for some time... finally getting close to purchasing so I figured it was time to consult the experts. A local dealer has a 2013 (manufactured in 2012) 1026R that they recently got back on a trade in. It was purchased in Feb of 2013 and was traded in Jan of 2015. It was used for commercial demolition and shows quite a bit of abuse in the paint. I also noticed that the tires have already lost probably 1/3 their life. Given the tractor only has 200hrs the sales rep assumed it had been used on pavement a lot of those hours. In the past I recall people being weary of buying hydrostatic equipment that spent a lot of time on cement - anyone have any thoughts? The front grill also took a tree limb through it at some point in its life. The package includes H120 loader and backhoe for ~$16k. They are wanting about $2700 for a 60" auto connect deck - installation included. Given it is used equipment I'd probably be looking at 60 months / 3.9% financing. I am in a unique position b/c with my end of year bonus I should be able to have the unit paid off in two years - I just don't want the monthly commitment associated with a shorter financing period. All this said what do you guys think? I am somewhat leaning towards holding off, saving up some money, and buying brand new.

Note: The tractor has set outside for what I believe to be all of its life.

Differences I noticed between the used 1026R and new 1025R:
The 1025R seemed like it drove faster, but also seemed considerably louder than the 1026R.
The 1026R smelled a lot more like a traditional oil burner - I didn't notice any real exhaust smell on either of the 1025Rs I test drove - after they warmed up.
The 1026R fired right up from a 'cold start' (~50 degree, rainy, day). BOTH 1025Rs seemed to start rough a blew smoke for probably 20-30 seconds. It is worth noting they both had < 0.4 hours on them.

Any and all input is welcome. I am looking for a long term purchase and don't want to do something I'll regret later.

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #2  
Forgive me, but what brand tractor is a 1026R ?

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R
It's John Deere's biggest of their smallest. Due to emissions regulations they lost approximately 1hp and changed from 1026R to 1025R.

I would like to buy this tractor now so I can get started clearing land but at the same rate I do not want to make a bad purchase. The base warranty expires at the end of this month - engine and trans ends approximately a year from now.

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #5  
What kind of price will they do on the new configuration? We bought our 2013 1025R w/H120 & backhoe as a factory package (FILB) for about $19,150 w/60 mo. 0%. That is only about $3K difference - plus you get access to cheap insurance for the life of the loan & full warranty period. I had cash available for a straight purchase, but went with the financing anyway.

Nick

For a 2015 1025R FILB + 60" auto connect (mech lift) the first quote was $24,500. I have a couple others floating yet.

Just received a second quote from a dealer closer to me for just under $23,500. What is your experience with the quoted figure. Can you talk them down any from that or is it pretty firm for new equipment?

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #8  
I'd be a little concerned about the abuse on the used tractor. Sounds like it was commercially used by unskilled employees to have noticeable tire wear in 200 hours.

The price from the dealer is very dependent on how they operate, time of year, etc. I would suggest finding the on line list price and then aiming for 10 to 15% off, maybe a little more since it's winter if he has several in stock.

Compared to the price you get via building the tractor on JD's website I'd say the second quote I received is close to "reasonable". The rep told me that is his bottom dollar so I'm assuming it is what it is. I have family in Indiana getting quotes for me up there also. They were discussing coming down to visit in March so they could just trailer it down then - assuming the price difference is worth the decrease in fuel mileage (on the drive down) and worth the wait.

As far as the used tractor is concerned.. That's the same thing I was thinking. It also has a lot of chipped paint and seemed to ride fairly rough - compared to the new 1025Rs. Not sure if it was just the seat springs or if the tires had more to do with it (worn/over inflated). The only thing I like about the 1026R is the noise level. I don't think I'd need ear protection with it but with the 1025R I'd probably wear ear plugs while mowing.

By the time you include the interest (assuming I went full-term with the 60 month financing) it really only saves about $2500 buying the 1026R and its "bumper to bumper" warranty is over in a couple weeks so... I may be sold on buying a new one unless that dealer reduces the price fairly significantly which I don't foresee happening given what they gave for the trade.

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #10  
Check price on-line. I just "built" one fairly loaded under $21,000 and local dealer has quoted nearly same tractor at under $20k
I added, rear quick hitch, mower deck, box blade, rear blade and FIL. Added canopy and several light kits to get over $22k.

your $24k price seems high (but you might have some other option included?)

You mentioned "clearing land" - how much land and what type of debris are you clearing? to make sure your purchase is not regretted later first be sure you are buying the right piece of equipment for the job you have in mind.