Buying Advice To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #21  
We have the 1025R on a 4.4 acre house site that is mostly wooded. I added a BroTek thumb to the backhoe and it sees a lot of use in moving wood. It is very handy for lifting heavy pieces & stumps onto a pickup or pile. Also good for lifting logs off the ground for cutting (and digging stumps...). It gets a lot of sporadic use outside of larger scheduled projects.

Nick

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #22  
Buy the backhoe and you will never regret it. Don't buy it and you will always wish you did. They are more handy than your thumbs.

On the Deere-Kubota thing, consider Kubota. I understand Deere ownership and coming from the Midwest but you might be happier with a Kubota. There are lots around because they are a good value, work without complaint and resell easily, especially if taken care of.

Not wanting to hijack your thread--although all threads eventually do--any comments or experiences on you move South would be nice to hear. Our final retirement could well be a place in the South.

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R
No problem on the tangential subject.. I think I've decided to let the used equipment go and need to investigate a couple brands before deciding for sure. So far everyone I've talked to in person has echoed your statement of "if you don't get it, you'll regret it"... so I think I'll just go ahead and spend my year end bonus for the next couple years now. Maybe I can somehow demonstrate an ROI to my wife when I build a workshop, lay tile around our house, and do some pond maintenance.

As far as relocating to North Carolina is concerned.. well we were in the low 70s last Sunday if that says anything ;) It took me probably 6-8 months to get used to the higher temperatures. Though we did move down in June - poor planning on my part. Now I couldn't imagine shoveling snow in a negative 20 degree windchill.. no freaking way. If it snows AT ALL everything closes; which is actually pretty nice b/c snow doesn't typically last more than a few hours to a day. Just don't let yourself be one of those foolish northerners that says "eh, its only a 1/64" of snow.. I can make it" b/c you won't; the highways will be clogged with other people's cars. If you don't believe me and/or want a good laugh do a google image search for: Raleigh Snow Storm.

I believe this coming summer will make 4yrs that we've lived here (Cary/Apex). The first summer was extremely hot and dry. There were actually a fair number of wild fires. The next summer was fairly wet and I don't know that we saw a single day above 95 degrees - by far the best summer temperature wise. Last summer was "average", enough rain to grow a garden but still far less than you're used to in Ohio; with 1-2 weeks where it was too hot to do much at outside from probably 12-4pm. Unfortunately that was the time of year I decided to build a chicken coop. For the most part all of the winters have been mild. Only a dusting of snow our first winter and nothing more than a few flakes so far this winter. Last winter we had probably 3-5 "snow events" but even the snow apocalypse mentioned above was nothing like you see up north. 5-6 inches is a HUGE deal here.

Weather aside, the people a great. Living 2.5 hrs from the beach and 3.5 hrs from the mountains is great. You can surf fish one weekend and hike the AT the next. Real estate at least in this area is pretty costly.. but property tax seems to be considerably less so it washes out fairly even with the salary increase. We have 3.1 acres in the game lands of Jordan Lake purchased for ~$300k and our property tax is only $1800/yr. Compared to places I was looking at in Ohio that property tax is about 1/3 of what I was looking at up there for a house half the cost. Feel free to ask any other questions you have. The south may be dirty but I sure like it down here better.

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #24  

So far everyone I've talked to in person has echoed your statement of "if you don't get it, you'll regret it"... so I think I'll just go ahead and spend my year end bonus for the next couple years now. Maybe I can somehow demonstrate an ROI to my wife when I build a workshop, lay tile around our house, and do some pond maintenance.

On the ROI and the wife thing, here's an old post of mine showing how to handle this with the wife. It works every time because the concept is correct and numbers are true. It works especially well with implements. Here's the post...

OK, since she's a bean counter, here's some fuzzy corporate math for her. Works every time if you don't flinch.

Tell her the cost of the tractor is not what you paid for it but the difference between it's resale value and the price you paid for it, less the cost of the money involved. In your case, if you pay $20,000 for a tractor and it could be resold for, say $18,000, that tractor only cost $2,000 plus the price of the money involved. if you used savings and since interest rates are zero, the tractor cost $2,000. Now, if you can do work that saves $800 a year that's a pretty good return on the money. Wow, 40% return. And since you traded a used tractor in, all the better since it's far easier to unload a newer tractor than an older one. Better for her.

As well, there's an expectation that prices will continue to rise and inflation could make your tractor rise even more in price more than it is now. Wow, this is getting better all the time. In fact, explained correctly, the tractor not only doesn't cost but it actually pays to own it. Case closed; order the tractor and tell her you are doing it for her.

Now, the icing on the cake. If you have to take a loan, get life insurance on the note and she will be extra protected if you pass away too soon. She will have the money--more of it --as well as the tractor to sell. Go ahead, order the tractor, you are only thinking of her.

And here's the thread it came from...http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...sons/254227-money-sense-tractor-buying-3.html

Her BS detector is pretty accurate.. not sure that dog will hunt.

Well gentlemen, I received a third quote that caught my eye. After work I stopped at the dealer's and am now the owner of a 2015 1025R FILB with 60" auto connect deck. They have to pick it up from a partner store and mount the deck but if all goes according to plan I should have the mower delivered Friday after work. Dang my mid-western attraction to greene..

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #27  
On the ROI and the wife thing, here's an old post of mine showing how to handle this with the wife. It works every time because the concept is correct and numbers are true. It works especially well with implements. Here's the post...

OK, since she's a bean counter, here's some fuzzy corporate math for her. Works every time if you don't flinch.

Tell her the cost of the tractor is not what you paid for it but the difference between it's resale value and the price you paid for it, less the cost of the money involved. In your case, if you pay $20,000 for a tractor and it could be resold for, say $18,000, that tractor only cost $2,000 plus the price of the money involved. if you used savings and since interest rates are zero, the tractor cost $2,000. Now, if you can do work that saves $800 a year that's a pretty good return on the money. Wow, 40% return. And since you traded a used tractor in, all the better since it's far easier to unload a newer tractor than an older one. Better for her.

As well, there's an expectation that prices will continue to rise and inflation could make your tractor rise even more in price more than it is now. Wow, this is getting better all the time. In fact, explained correctly, the tractor not only doesn't cost but it actually pays to own it. Case closed; order the tractor and tell her you are doing it for her.

Now, the icing on the cake. If you have to take a loan, get life insurance on the note and she will be extra protected if you pass away too soon. She will have the money--more of it --as well as the tractor to sell. Go ahead, order the tractor, you are only thinking of her.

And here's the thread it came from...http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...sons/254227-money-sense-tractor-buying-3.html

Do you think your wife actually believes that or is she just doing the "Bobble Head"???? No way my wife would buy into that. And if she did, because I respect her, I'd hafta tell her the truth before proceeding. :)

Haha, honestly I think she's just glad she won't have to be out digging 50 fence post holes by hand with me this summer. Seems to actually be just fine with the purchase.. not sure if she's trying to lure me into a false sense of security before murdering me in my sleep or if she is legitimately happy her term of servitude has come to an end. If I survived to Saturday I'm going to have some fun knocking over bamboo :)

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #29  
Haha, honestly I think she's just glad she won't have to be out digging 50 fence post holes by hand with me this summer. Seems to actually be just fine with the purchase.. not sure if she's trying to lure me into a false sense of security before murdering me in my sleep or if she is legitimately happy her term of servitude has come to an end. If I survived to Saturday I'm going to have some fun knocking over bamboo :)

If you wake up and she's standing over you with a claw hammer, you'll have your answer. :D

In the meantime, congrats on the new machine. Of course, pics are mandatory immediately upon arrival if you want to keep your status as a member in good standing on TBN. ;)

/ To buy used or new? 1026R vs 1025R #30  
In the meantime, congrats on the new machine. Of course, pics are mandatory immediately upon arrival if you want to keep your status as a member in good standing on TBN. ;)

I agree. :)