To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID"

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #61  
The feds cannot directly control the license in states, but they can control use of those for ID when traveling in and out of the country. The Feds are under no obligation to grant waivers to states and it is the changes in federal control that created the waivers. The Feds could have simply told those states (rather, the people from those states attempting to travel) too bad, no travel for you.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #62  
Thread resurrected from 2019.
Now it looks like the deadline is May 7, 2025
linky
kick the can down the road
Doesn't effect me. I happened to have the needed paperwork in the truck when my wife and I did an address change a couple years ago.

I can't for the life of me remember why we happened to have the paperwork with us, bit it sure came in handy.

We went ahead and updated our licenses while performing the address change for id's and vehicles.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #63  
got mine recently. didn't have to show any more paperwork than when I first got my license years ago, don't know why I had to go thru that BS again.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID"
The feds cannot directly control the license in states, but they can control use of those for ID when traveling in and out of the country. The Feds are under no obligation to grant waivers to states and it is the changes in federal control that created the waivers. The Feds could have simply told those states (rather, the people from those states attempting to travel) too bad, no travel for you.
The Real ID will be used when flying on a domestic commercial flight. A passport will be needed for international flights.

"If you are traveling internationally you will still need your passport. If you are traveling domestically, you will only need one valid form of identification – either your REAL ID or another acceptable alternative such as a passport, not both."

REAL ID | Homeland Security

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #65  
They sort of did. You need a Real ID or a passport to travel. Abroad. They were hoping to standardize on Real ID for all states and all travel. The states keep balking. Now the states have to support more forms of ID.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #66  
They sort of did. You need a Real ID or a passport to travel. Abroad. They were hoping to standardize on Real ID for all states and all travel. The states keep balking. Now the states have to support more forms of ID.
Not really. Other than Canada and Mexico, passports have been required for decades. The law was passed in 2005 and was to take effect in 2008. 3 years was plenty of time to get on board. We are at 15 years beyond compliance now and it will be at least 2 more years. Plus, it has been watered down to get states like CA to comply. The Feds really shouldn't have to do this. It is common sense stuff. Prove who you are and where you live to get ID (not just for travel). Many states already effectively had that part down. They just had to make ID harder to fake.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #67  
When I renewed my license last time a few years ago, I had a weird encounter at the DMV. I wanted the REAL ID so I would be covered for flying. This was slightly before they started delaying the intro date as some states were pushing back as others noted.

I get to the counter with my form, old license, Birth Cert and SS card, IIRC and tell the clerk I need to renew and want the REAL ID version. Here's the weird bit. She starts in on how I really don't want that and it isn't a good idea for the government to know all that info about me. I'm looking at her like she is from Mars and said these documents are all issued by the gov't - they already know all this, so how could it possibly matter? She mumbled something and gave me the Real ID. I get not liking the gov't in your face, but they know all this....and she works for the frappin gov't on top of it!!!o_O

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #68  
I've often wondered if the ID I had before this REAL ID was a FAKE ID. If it wasn't real it must have been fake.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #69  
I don't fly. I don't go to military bases. I don't plan on ever going to a Federal Courthouse again.
yeah I don't plan on getting their "Real ID" either.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #70  
I've said this before and I'll say it again... ever since the Indiana DMV was modernized, it's been a pleasure to go there, especially if you ever experienced it in the past! :ROFLMAO:

The last 4 times I went, my wait was just a couple minutes at most. Twice I got my ticket, sat down, and was immediately called before I could even scootch around to get comfortable in my seat.

Last time I went I took my kid and her husband as we were selling them a car for a dollar. Clerk told me it wasn't necessary as you can gift a car to a family member and not pay tax on it. We still did it for a dollar. We were in and out in about 8 minutes. Kids were impressed. As we got up to leave, I told the clerk "8 minutes! That was great!" Clerk just laughed and smiled.

(y)