to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #11  
Man you don't hear about that failure in those motors. It must be an unlucky fluke.

This is the one downside to pushrod motors, the valvetrain can take out a motor when a valve drops.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #12  
I'm not a Ford guy, there more I research Ford diesels and gas, the more engine problems I encounter. I'll stick to my old LS type pushrod GM engines. They work.

Except, when they don’t….

As we have discussed, on this forum, the GM 6.0L in the HD pickups is about as good as it gets, from a reliability likelihood. No company makes perfect anything. “Lemons” get through.

I’m willing to bet (though I’m not sure we could find definitive data) the GM 6.0L has the best track record, of engines put in HD pickups, over the last decade. I would hazard a guess the Ford 6.2L would be second best, overall. However, the gap between the GM 6.0L and the Ford 6.2L is fairly wide. Not nearly as wide as the gap between the Ford 6.2L and Ram 6.4L, though. The new GM 6.6L gas and Ford 7.3L are too new, but I think the Ford 7.3L will become the next “most reliable” engine, in this class, but we are a decade away from knowing. There are a lot of Ford 6.2L‘s on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles and no issues. The OP just happened to get a bad one.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #13  
Except, when they don’t….

As we have discussed, on this forum, the GM 6.0L in the HD pickups is about as good as it gets, from a reliability likelihood. No company makes perfect anything. “Lemons” get through.

I’m willing to bet (though I’m not sure we could find definitive data) the GM 6.0L has the best track record, of engines put in HD pickups, over the last decade. I would hazard a guess the Ford 6.2L would be second best, overall. However, the gap between the GM 6.0L and the Ford 6.2L is fairly wide. Not nearly as wide as the gap between the Ford 6.2L and Ram 6.4L, though. The new GM 6.6L gas and Ford 7.3L are too new, but I think the Ford 7.3L will become the next “most reliable” engine, in this class, but we are a decade away from knowing. There are a lot of Ford 6.2L‘s on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles and no issues. The OP just happened to get a bad one.
Yes, but for has had too many mishaps with engines, the TT3.5 going up in flames, 5.4 the typical spark plug issue. 6.0 and 6.4 diesel combabble.........agreee........been very few Coyote 5.0 and 6.2 problems.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #14  
going to run it a bit to see if the cats will clear themselves out but I don't have much hope...
I would disconnect pipes at the engine, deflect air flow, and try back blowing with a leaf blower. Crap coming in from the engine side has no chance of clearing through the honeycomb of a catalytic converter. Restricted converters will likely overheat the new engine quickly.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #15  
Yes, but for has had too many mishaps with engines, the TT3.5 going up in flames, 5.4 the typical spark plug issue. 6.0 and 6.4 diesel combabble.........agreee........been very few Coyote 5.0 and 6.2 problems.

Ford has definitely had their problems, with engines.

I went through more details, in the gas engine comparison thread, but from what I can gather:

Good Ford truck gas engines (strictly reliability likeliness):
3.7L
4.6L (about the same record as the GM 6.0L, but in different applications)
5.4L/6.8L after around MY2007; the later the better
6.2L
7.3L showing promise, too early to tell.

In the middle is the Ford 5.0L. More good than bad, but still not as good as those in my first list.

Ford truck gas engines I don’t want (on my budget with me being responsible):
5.4L/6.8L prior to MY 2006
3.5L EB (TT)
2.7L EB (TT)

My diesel experience is very limited, but Ford had some rough years, with diesel engines. The 6.0L and 6.4L definitely set the record for most well-known problem engines. The 6.7L seems solid. Especially, the MY2015, and later. As solid as a modern diesel can be, anyway. I don’t know enough to comment on the current Ford 6.7L diesel competition. The shop has had good experiences with the Cummins and the Powerstroke. I don’t think we had a GM diesel, during my time.

It’s kind of funny, we still have a 6.8L V10 mowing truck, from the bad years. At one time, there was a Ford 6.0L diesel mowing truck. It had problems. They got a Ford 6.4L diesel mowing truck. It had problems. They decided to just buy another tractor, instead of a new truck. That damn V10 just won’t die. If I remember, I’ll check the miles on it, next time I see it.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #16  
going to run it a bit to see if the cats will clear themselves out but I don't have much hope...

If they are anything like the cats on the Ford patrol vehicles we had, they are pretty much a maintenance part. Absolute junk.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #17  
My SOHC 4.6 engines have been absolute mules.

My 99 Mustang has 119,000 on it with probably 30,000 of those being track miles.

My F150 has towed a car trailer with my mustang all over the SE and has 190,000 on the clock.

NO internal engine troubles with either so far.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #18  
That does sound like a pretty rare failure on that 6.2.

Ouch.

I've been pretty happy with my '12. Only issues so far have been a high pressure side power steering hose (replaced under warranty in year 3 I think), and I did lose one TPMS sensor in a tire that ironically I had the dealer repair a flat tire on the previous week (also replaced under warranty since they did the flat repair on the tire-but they did try to get out of that one).

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #19  
Sorry to hear of your trouble with the 6.2L engine, but I think you were right: just a bad valve spring in an otherwise good engine.

I have had 4 Fords with no engine issues:

2000 Excursion with 7.3L PSD - 271K miles before trading it (wish I still had this vehicle)
2001 F150 5.4L V8 - 165K miles before trading it
2002 F250 7.3L PSD - 302K miles and still slapping (my towing vehicle)
2018 F150 3.5L V6 TT - 111K miles and drove it to work this morning

By my count that's about 850K miles over the past 20 years with 3 different Ford engines and my maintenance is scheduled oil and filter changes with the specified oil. Plus none of the transmissions have had anything more than standard fluid flush. Pretty good track record for Ford in my book.

/ to those with a 6.2l gas ford super duty #20  
Any engine can have problems. A lot of the times, it's the luck of the draw...and how well the engine was maintained.

I bought a 1976 GMC Terravan new with the 400ci small block with the siamesed cylinders that had such an awful reputation...drove that thing for 32+ years with no problem. Bought a 1988 Chevy S10 Blazer new with the 4.3 V6 and drove it for 321,000 miles with no engine problem. Currently own a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost that has never been in the shop for any reason - all I've had to do is change the oil and rotate the tires. Same with my 2007 E350 with the 6.8 V10.

You have to keep in mind that if you do your research on user forums that the people who post on there are the ones who have had engine problems and are upset. People who haven't had a problem don't post anything. That skews the results.