To upgrade or not

/ To upgrade or not #31  
I owned an 8n for about 30 years, it did a lot of work for me. Upgrading it to twelve volt made it much easier to start especially in cold weather.
I upgraded to a new tractor that is about the same size as the 8n but with about 15 more hp and diesel.
The new tractor has a FEL, 4WD, and power steering. It just does everything much easier and faster. I have not regretted upgrading for one minute.
Would of liked to kept the 8n, but I didn't have a covered area to keep it in and believe me they do not like being left out in the elements, even under a tarp.
The guy that bought it from me was tickled to get it!

/ To upgrade or not #32  
I would highly recommend upgrading but I would also keep the 8n. I would definitely upgrade the electrical and ignition systems though.

/ To upgrade or not
You said you mow 4 acres? Keep the 8N, upgrade the electrical when you have time over the winter. Buy a good quality zero turn and forget it! that is my opinion and you did ask for them LOL Good Luck. But seriously keep the 8n, a dealer will just take it from you for nothing and everybody else will annoy you with the lowball offers. She is reliable and can only get better now with a little love.....It don't cost you anything to keep her either!
Thanks for your opion I already have a 60" hustler I had a friend put a 27 hp vangaurd on last year. I guess I never thought about it that way. I quess I just get a wild hair up my rear end every once in a while and want to spend money. I bought a 92 corvette 3 years ago, because I thought I needed it, I pull it out from underneath the shelter to wash it and then put it back. You think I would have learned my lesson. Thanks Again

/ To upgrade or not
I owned an 8n for about 30 years, it did a lot of work for me. Upgrading it to twelve volt made it much easier to start especially in cold weather.
I upgraded to a new tractor that is about the same size as the 8n but with about 15 more hp and diesel.
The new tractor has a FEL, 4WD, and power steering. It just does everything much easier and faster. I have not regretted upgrading for one minute.
Would of liked to kept the 8n, but I didn't have a covered area to keep it in and believe me they do not like being left out in the elements, even under a tarp.
The guy that bought it from me was tickled to get it!
Thanks, I have owned it for 15 years and the only thing that has bother me was the weak spark. I will convert to 12 volt

/ To upgrade or not
I would highly recommend upgrading but I would also keep the 8n. I would definitely upgrade the electrical and ignition systems though.
I am going to uograde 6 volt to 12 do you think it would pay to upgrade to electronic ignition.. Would I gain much hp by going electronic ignition

/ To upgrade or not #36  
I am going to uograde 6 volt to 12 do you think it would pay to upgrade to electronic ignition.. Would I gain much hp by going electronic ignition
Not sure you'll game any HP but you should get quicker and more reliable starts. May run smoother.

/ To upgrade or not #37  
No HP, and no real change in how it runs. Nothing noticible to you as a tractor owner. There are advantages, but they are tiny. A coil is easier to diagnose if it goes wrong.

I'd stick with just changing the ignition coil to 12 volt for now.
You can always go to electronic ignition later.

Steiner Tractor sells a 12 volt upgrade kit for less than $200 dollars. It is basically a 12 volt alternator, 12 volt ignition coil, and some mounting hardware - but no 12 volt battery. Once you figured it out, you could assemble those parts yourself for about half that price. Not worth the hassle the first time.

The one thing that you can do to make your spark stronger doesn't care if the rest of the system is 6 or 12 volts - so you can do it now. That is to replace the points, condensor, distributor cap....and particularly the spark plugs, plug wires, and caps with new ones. Be sure to use the old-fashioned copper wire type spark plug wires.

rScotty

/ To upgrade or not
No HP, and no real change in how it runs. Nothing noticible to you as a tractor owner. There are advantages, but they are tiny. A coil is easier to diagnose if it goes wrong.

I'd stick with just changing the ignition coil to 12 volt for now.
You can always go to electronic ignition later.

Steiner Tractor sells a 12 volt upgrade kit for less than $200 dollars. It is basically a 12 volt alternator, 12 volt ignition coil, and some mounting hardware - but no 12 volt battery. Once you figured it out, you could assemble those parts yourself for about half that price. Not worth the hassle the first time.

The one thing that you can do to make your spark stronger doesn't care if the rest of the system is 6 or 12 volts - so you can do it now. That is to replace the points, condensor, distributor cap....and particularly the spark plugs, plug wires, and caps with new ones. Be sure to use the old-fashioned copper wire type spark plug wires.

rScotty
Thanks Scotty I appreciate the input

/ To upgrade or not #39  
Might be ok to upgrade if you can pay cash without stretching your finances. Otherwise it's probably cheaper to hire someone to mow it a couple times a year.

/ To upgrade or not #40  
When my dad was around mid 70's I talked him into selling the old 8n with a loader (Which made it like a monkey bar set for him to climb on) and buying a small SCUT. He said he wouldn't spend more than $7500 on a tractor so I looked and finally found one about 4 hours North (MI) with only 500+ hours even though it was 20+ years old.

He then began using his little Kubota Bx2200 for everything under the sun. Where he was only using the 8n when he HAD to. Wood hauling, bush hogging.

I don't know how old you are but as a body gets older, climbing on a SCUT with hydrostat is much easier and will make you find more uses for it.

My dad would tell all the things he found to do with his little BX and I knew he was glad he bought it. Keep the 8n also if you have the space though.