To upgrade or not

/ To upgrade or not #41  
A good replacement for the 8n is a Mahindra 1626 or Kioti CK 2610. I prefer the Mahindra due to it being made in Japan.
I'm pretty sure Mahindra makes their machines in India. Or maybe I'm wrong.

/ To upgrade or not #42  
my version of your story started w/ a 1939 9N which I used to tedd and rake hay, pull a 6 foot bush hog, drag a 7 foot back and move a wood trailer. Maintained it well and we had a life. when I inherited a ‘52 Ferguson w/ a loader, I hit the point where I could trade them both on a new NH TC33D. 4 wheel drive, better loader, live PTO, handled a snow blower and, with due respect to the old ‘uns, the new one really improved my life.

Trade up.

/ To upgrade or not #43  
I have a similar story - bought my '52 8N from the original owner in '95. I needed a utility tractor that I could also plow/disc/cultivate with. I remembered my grandfather selling his two draft horses (but he kept his mule) for a Ford "red belly" and that kind of drove my purchase. The owner had used this 8N to replace his mules to farm 77 acres of corn/soybean/hay until his knees and hips prevented him from getting on it. He started to get emotional when I loaded it on my trailer. He gave me the original invoice, customer survey, and owner's manual that came with it. It served me well for a number of years until I got my '73 3000 which was much more tractor. My main tractor now is a modern Massey Ferguson with FWD, loader, cab, remotes, etc. It's the first one that I'm going to use for about anything these days. I keep the 8N for sentimental reasons and use it as a backup, or when I don't feel like taking the bush hog off of the Massey and I need something to do some liftin' and totin' or take one of the grandkids for a ride.
The big weaknesses of the 8N are no live hydraulics or live/independent PTO. Once you use a tractor with those features, it's tough to justify buying an 8N. If you keep it 6-volt, it's getting harder and more expensive to get a replacement battery. If you want to stay with a vintage "red belly" you can find an 800 series tractor for not much more, but it will still be a two-wheel-drive tractor. The 8N is also NOT a good loader tractor, although probably thousands of people hung one on theirs. The tractor is light, has no power steering and loader work will wear out the wimpy front axle faster.

Attachments

• Original invoice for 8N475798.jpg
    Original invoice for 8N475798.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 94
  • Original Registration and Customer Survey for 8N475798.jpg
    Original Registration and Customer Survey for 8N475798.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 95
   / To upgrade or not #44  
Definitely get rid of the old and buy something newer with a loader four-wheel-drive at least 40 or you won’t be sorry! If you can cab with air and heat.

/ To upgrade or not #45  
Bite the Bullet buy your self a later model Tractor and equipment that will suit your needs. It will make life a lot simpler, easier and enjoyable. The 8N is collectable Tractor in some areas, therefore if you no longer want to keep The Ford put on the collectors market.

/ To upgrade or not #47  
No HP, and no real change in how it runs. Nothing noticible to you as a tractor owner. There are advantages, but they are tiny. A coil is easier to diagnose if it goes wrong.

I'd stick with just changing the ignition coil to 12 volt for now.
You can always go to electronic ignition later.

Steiner Tractor sells a 12 volt upgrade kit for less than $200 dollars. It is basically a 12 volt alternator, 12 volt ignition coil, and some mounting hardware - but no 12 volt battery. Once you figured it out, you could assemble those parts yourself for about half that price. Not worth the hassle the first time.

The one thing that you can do to make your spark stronger doesn't care if the rest of the system is 6 or 12 volts - so you can do it now. That is to replace the points, condensor, distributor cap....and particularly the spark plugs, plug wires, and caps with new ones. Be sure to use the old-fashioned copper wire type spark plug wires.

rScotty
If just changing the ignition coil, be sure to get one that includes a ballast resistor, or that you add one into the circuit. Otherwise, you'll burn your points in short order.
Don't ask me how I know this, just accept it as fact.

/ To upgrade or not #48  
I have a similar story - bought my '52 8N from the original owner in '95. I needed a utility tractor that I could also plow/disc/cultivate with. I remembered my grandfather selling his two draft horses (but he kept his mule) for a Ford "red belly" and that kind of drove my purchase. The owner had used this 8N to replace his mules to farm 77 acres of corn/soybean/hay until his knees and hips prevented him from getting on it. He started to get emotional when I loaded it on my trailer. He gave me the original invoice, customer survey, and owner's manual that came with it. It served me well for a number of years until I got my '73 3000 which was much more tractor. My main tractor now is a modern Massey Ferguson with FWD, loader, cab, remotes, etc. It's the first one that I'm going to use for about anything these days. I keep the 8N for sentimental reasons and use it as a backup, or when I don't feel like taking the bush hog off of the Massey and I need something to do some liftin' and totin' or take one of the grandkids for a ride.
The big weaknesses of the 8N are no live hydraulics or live/independent PTO. Once you use a tractor with those features, it's tough to justify buying an 8N. If you keep it 6-volt, it's getting harder and more expensive to get a replacement battery. If you want to stay with a vintage "red belly" you can find an 800 series tractor for not much more, but it will still be a two-wheel-drive tractor. The 8N is also NOT a good loader tractor, although probably thousands of people hung one on theirs. The tractor is light, has no power steering and loader work will wear out the wimpy front axle faster.
Thanks for posting those original documents.
I have an 1950 8N with a sherman over, under and direct. I have had it for about 25 years and still use it to plow snow and doing my firewood. It isn't a parade tractor, I have added a front pump and have good hydraulics and made an electric power steering from a saturn vue work. I also converted to 12 volt and added the electronic ignition. I love it but I needed the Kubota L2501 DT with a fel and bh77. I have the best of both old and new tractors. I paid $4000 for the 8N with a back blade and finish mower in 95. interesting to compare to your original price.

Bill

/ To upgrade or not #50  
I have a 1952 8n I bought from a 95 year old man about 15 years ago. The man told me when I got it he had gotten tired of "little things" breaking so he recently took it to a tractor shop and had it completly "gone through" he told me the reason he was selling was "son I just cant get on and off of it anymore". I have about 4 acres of land that I currently bush hog. I was using my Pepa's old 5ft bush hog it broke, and I went off and bought a 6 foot hog, I just figured bigger was better. I also maintain the driveway with it using a 5 foot heavy duty box blade with rippers. Tractor is the orginal 6 volt system that can be kinda irritating at times, but my Pepa had a 528n and I wanted one. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what I should do. Should I try to upgrade to a newer stronger tractor or run the old 8n with the 6 volt system. I would really appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance.
I'm going to say that none of us can make this decision for you, because as with most decisions, it depends.

We have three tractors, four if you include the old Simplicity garden tractor. The oldest is my grandfather's 1952 Case SC, which has been converted to 12 volts, and has had three engine rebuilds over the last 60 years. Next-oldest is our late 60's IH 424 gas tractor, and the newest is a 2000 John Deere 4600, with 4WD, a loader, and a cab.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses, and each has jobs where it is better than the others. It would be next to impossible for me to choose just one to keep because of that.