To upgrade or not

/ To upgrade or not #11  
I'd restore the old Ford and convert it to 12 volt and electronic ignition. All can be done very cheap and there are a lot of parts suppliers for those old Fords.
it will probably still outlive anything new.

/ To upgrade or not #12  
had a TO35 for 28 yrs. & yes, my own needs have evolved as yours. it did take a few "upgrades" for me to finally arrive at a suitable model. hopefully the OP won't have to go through as an expensive a journey as it was for me.
one thing for sure: a test ride on the dealership's lot is no where near an approximation of one's own field use. that's why i recommend going up one size larger :unsure:

/ To upgrade or not #13  
That old iron will still out live us all if properly maintained. However, there are better and stronger machines out there. You won't get much if you try to sell that old 8n, and you'll likely pay too much for a good new/used tractor, but having horse power, weight, 12 volts, and other creature comforts like power steering, are worth it! That said, I'd keep that old 8n. Use it for 'puttering around,' getting the mail, pulling a wagon with the kids in it, drive it in your local parade... but for doing actual work, get something a bit better. Just my .02

/ To upgrade or not #14  
Before I replaced the Terex I was shopping for a second smaller tractor to leave the mower on?
Now I have a tractor that can easily do it all......easier :LOL:

/ To upgrade or not #15  
agree, feel MX series is a good compromise compact utility tractor more capable overall than B, L, & smaller series.
the Grand L is for a pocketbook other than mine for what you get
M series in a league by itself...

/ To upgrade or not #16  
We span the years beginning with an old John Deere two cylinder - similar to your 8N - and now have modern 4wd power everything tractors with loaders. But we kept the old JD and it still gets used. Last time was last year pulling a landscape rake in the fall. Otherwise it sleeps.

So keep the 8N. They are an investment, and can make life nicer. Always something to do with old ones.

But those old tractors just aren't as instantly handy or versatile as the new ones. I'd upgrade by adding something new and basic. It's the golden age of compact tractors right now, so get something good. Basic, but 4wd with power steering and a loader to do work with. Maybe even shuttleshift or Hydrostat.
You'll enjoy the work it does that much more.
rScotty

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / To upgrade or not #17  
I have a 1952 8n I bought from a 95 year old man about 15 years ago. The man told me when I got it he had gotten tired of "little things" breaking so he recently took it to a tractor shop and had it completly "gone through" he told me the reason he was selling was "son I just cant get on and off of it anymore". I have about 4 acres of land that I currently bush hog. I was using my Pepa's old 5ft bush hog it broke, and I went off and bought a 6 foot hog, I just figured bigger was better. I also maintain the driveway with it using a 5 foot heavy duty box blade with rippers. Tractor is the orginal 6 volt system that can be kinda irritating at times, but my Pepa had a 528n and I wanted one. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what I should do. Should I try to upgrade to a newer stronger tractor or run the old 8n with the 6 volt system. I would really appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance.

If you can upgrade then I would if it were me, but only to a point. I would look at tractors that have engines before tier 4. Or tractors under 24 horsepower that do not have all the electronics associated with them. They will be much easier and less expensive to maintain. I have not read every post here so if it has been already mentioned. then I apologize.

Just my 2 cents

/ To upgrade or not #19  
if the tractor is doing the job now i would hang onto it for a few months just to see what the economy does. if it is not doing the job get a modern 4x4 with a FEL, do not try to update the 8n, i'm in the same boat with my hand me down ford 2000, no PS, no 4X4, no FEL but it is a rock that you put diesel in and it runs. upgrading the 8n would be an expensive process and would likely reduce the reliability IMO.

/ To upgrade or not #20  
if the tractor is doing the job now i would hang onto it for a few months just to see what the economy does. if it is not doing the job get a modern 4x4 with a FEL, do not try to update the 8n, i'm in the same boat with my hand me down ford 2000, no PS, no 4X4, no FEL but it is a rock that you put diesel in and it runs. upgrading the 8n would be an expensive process and would likely reduce the reliability IMO.
I agree. Most all of those old ones are made for simple, quiet, and economical pulling or maybe a bit of transmission-driven PTO work. They don't upgrade to a FEL loader well at all, because they don't have the sturdy front axle, PS, and the full length frame a FEL needs. That doen't mean they aren't a wonderful tractor. A FEL isn't the only way to load things, there are nice 3pt rear loaders that will carry a ton and dump it where you want. For a tiny fraction the price of a FEL.

12 volt electrics are an easy and inexpensive conversion that makes sense. Especially with today's bolt-in combination alternator & voltage regulator units.