Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #491  
The truth is that we are well past the point of no return, so that prediction was true. This isn't reversible. The question isn't whether we'll hit the wall, but whether anyone cares enough to ease off the accelerator.
Climate change has been around for about 60 million years....For the past 3 million years, Earth’s climate has been in an "Icehouse" state characterized by alternating glacial and inter-glacial periods. Modern humans evolved during this time....so what data shows a date on "a particular point of no return"?....and what is the "return to" target that individuals might assume is the best environment to sustain life on earth?
Some of the things that come with a warmer climate could actually be good.
Even your little "system" benefits from a sunnier climate . More sun = more energy for you
land for farming increases (Canada is becoming a more agricultural diverse nation with longer growing seasons) Even in Alaska new crops are being grown. Shipping lanes in the arctic open up reducing costs. Just saying that some areas benefit while others may not..... it's not all doom.
The US has been "easing off the accelerator" for decades .......we have done a great deal in this nation to reduce emissions and have put billions of taxpayer dollars into clean air and water projects. This doesn't include the environmental costs that ultimately end up down to the consumer, say when they buy a car, lawnmower, tractor, etc. .......but CO2 may not be the boogeyman here....(a non-toxic essential part of life) If someone was able to determine why CO2, heavier than air, ends up concentrating in the upper part of our atmosphere or what proportions of CO2 both man made and natural, settle in oceans and land, then discharges a portion into the atmosphere when the oceans heat up from the sun or the land gets plowed by a farmer to grow crops.

Climate is far more complicated than buying an electric car, so we are only grasping at straws and playing political ping pong with virtue signalling, meaningless solutions, if indeed we can do anything at all. So far man is not stopping or can control climate change.....A certain country can spend billions to address climate concerns but China, Russia, India, etc. are not on board. China is putting in an average of three new coal plants a year. Developing nations are just getting started and have no choice but to use the most available and least expensive resources...or get it from China or Russia.
Earth is here for mankind to live on ...fossil fuels have given us the opportunity to improve life on earth with the unique ability to provide cheap, reliable energy for a world of seven billion people. You don't just switch that off with assumptions or predictions. Incidentally, Miami was suppossed to be under water by now.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #492  
Just noticed a post about tires. Speaking from experience, we've had no unusual tire wear in 2+ years. Still running the original tires and brake pads on the older EV that's at 60K miles. (I run snow tires in the winter, so I guess I should only claim 45K for the OE tires, but they look fine.)

You *could* easily wear out your tires quickly by driving in yeehaw mode. If you floor the 2019 Bolt from a standstill, it has enough torque to spin the tires on dry pavement.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #493  
Climate change has been around for about 60 million years....For the past 3 million years, Earth’s climate has been in an "Icehouse" state characterized by alternating glacial and inter-glacial periods. Modern humans evolved during this time....so what data shows a date on "a particular point of no return"?....and what is the "return to" target that individuals might assume is the best environment to sustain life on earth?
Some of the things that come with a warmer climate could actually be good.
Even your little "system" benefits from a sunnier climate . More sun = more energy for you
land for farming increases (Canada is becoming a more agricultural diverse nation with longer growing seasons) Even in Alaska new crops are being grown. Shipping lanes in the arctic open up reducing costs. Just saying that some areas benefit while others may not..... it's not all doom.
The US has been "easing off the accelerator" for decades .......we have done a great deal in this nation to reduce emissions and have put billions of taxpayer dollars into clean air and water projects. This doesn't include the environmental costs that ultimately end up down to the consumer, say when they buy a car, lawnmower, tractor, etc. .......but CO2 may not be the boogeyman here....(a non-toxic essential part of life) If someone was able to determine why CO2, heavier than air, ends up concentrating in the upper part of our atmosphere or what proportions of CO2 both man made and natural, settle in oceans and land, then discharges a portion into the atmosphere when the oceans heat up from the sun or the land gets plowed by a farmer to grow crops.

Climate is far more complicated than buying an electric car, so we are only grasping at straws and playing political ping pong with virtue signalling, meaningless solutions, if indeed we can do anything at all. So far man is not stopping or can control climate change.....A certain country can spend billions to address climate concerns but China, Russia, India, etc. are not on board. China is putting in an average of three new coal plants a year. Developing nations are just getting started and have no choice but to use the most available and least expensive resources...or get it from China or Russia.
Earth is here for mankind to live on ...fossil fuels have given us the opportunity to improve life on earth with the unique ability to provide cheap, reliable energy for a world of seven billion people. You don't just switch that off with assumptions or predictions. Incidentally, Miami was suppossed to be under water by now.
I'd prefer to be wrong.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #494  
I’ll agree on battery operated chain saws and weed whackers. Both are fantastic. I’m only using a gas saw for felling and bucking big stuff. And the 22 years old John Deere gas weed whacker has a place on the barn wall for nostalgia, but I’m in no hurry to use it again.

Just like the tool market, when EV price and performance gets on parity or clearly exceeds the IC alternatives, we are all going to be adopters. Nobody will have to twist our arms or bribe us. We’ll do it because it makes sense. Performance is basically there for 90% of my usage, but the entry price is too high and the cost of plating, maintaining, and insuring another vehicle for the remaining 10% is prohibitive. If I could tow 300 miles in a lightening between charges and get into one for under 50k I’d definitely be interested. But 83k with a best case towing range under 150 miles ain’t gonna cut it.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #496  
A 200 mile range is a deal breaker, unless it can fill up in about 30 minutes, normally. We almost never drive, but when we do, it’s 300+ miles. Also, not wanting to tie up more than $20k in cash, because the lost opportunity cost wipes away fuel savings pretty quickly

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #497  
EV's aren't the answer for the deep rural folks on here. But they are great for urban owners who can charge at home and drive mostly within a 100 mile radius. A huge number of Americans fit that profile.
An acknowledgement gets you somewhere .......We all live in our own environments. The "huge number of Americans that fit that profile" can cancel us out, if they desire. Portland, the surrounding metropolitan area, and down the I-5 corridor run our state....Most people in charge are not native to the state, so we are not considered much when it comes to supporting our livelihoods/preferences.

I homesteaded raw land, built a road, (with that old farm cat you see in the photo). Developed a spring, cleared for a home and pastures and built 2 outbuildings and a barn. It is a modest place on 12 acres......local land use laws were replaced by a State run (land conservation and development) voted in by those same groupies that just wanted the revenue and control. For rural people it was filled with bureaucracy that made life more difficult than it already was. I suppose we rural folks appreciate an independent lifestyle that many would be uncomfortable with? We rely on ourselves, our work ethic, and maybe even stubborn pride to get things done......So I have often pushed back rather hard at times in here on items that seem intent on controlling me and taking away my choices,....maybe ultimately even my freedom.

I guess I am old enough to remember times when urban, suburban, and rural folks respected each others chosen lifestyles.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #498  
In San Antonio close to the hotel I have been staying or living in, there is a Tesla charging station. They have about 12 spots to charge. My understanding is it takes 30 to 45 minutes for a full charge with these rapid chargers. People are always backed in with several Teslas waiting to use one. They seem to stay in the vehicle while charging with a/c going.

I guess for some it could take up to a hour and half to charge their car with the wait. That would drive me nuts.

I think the problem with Tesla is similar to the problem with getting Starlink internet. Not enough support for the demand. So basically no matter what you do it will be a lot of hurry up and wait.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #499  
It's amazing how many participants in this forum are completely ignorant or misinformed on the topic of Electric Vehicles! Their adoption is growing rapidly and will soon take over the market. Here on the West Coast it is already obvious as EVs seem to be as common as Hondas and Toyotas! They are everywhere, and I have yet to encounter an owner who bemoans their decision to buy one. Just the opposite is true.
You cant watch tv without seeing most car ads with a electric vehicle to offer.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #500  
Just your opinion...we all have 'em...
But don't tell us we're ignorant or misinformed...for some of us, EV's are not a practical solution to our transportations needs
Urban areas, I do see fairly rapid acceptance....much less in the rural areas
I live in the country, on a 40 acre ranch, but travel into the Bay Area weekly, a 200 mile r/t. When I drove an ICE vehicle I needed to go out of my way to fill up with gas at a station where the price was reasonable. Now, I never have to visit a gas station, with all my charging done at home via a solar array which I installed 9 years ago (when solar prices were much higher) at a cost of $30K. It has now paid for itself, and has an expected life of at least another 20 years. No more $300-600 monthly utility bills! No more visits to gas stations. No more gas purchases. The local price for gas today is $6.50/gallon!!)

I have a CyberTruck on order, but don't expect to see it for at least another year. My 2005 Chevy diesel truck has served me well but it is lacking in many modern features (which I would love to have) and getting" long in the tooth." I only wish I could have the electric truck now. The Ford version just doesn't compare.

As far as EVs, the tipping point is near and has already happened in some markets. According to a recent pole, 73% responded that their next vehicle would be an EV. We will soon see numerous new choices available in the $35K price range, many from China and South Korea, which are said to be very well made. Detroit is way behind Tesla. They are scrambling to catch up but won't be able. The Chevy Bolt's battery is a disaster (fires) which has forced GM to recall almost all of them and thus are not available. Statistically Teslas have way fewer fires than ICE vehicles.

Tesla batteries are expected to last 10 years or more. Many have already been in service that long. EV batteries older then that still have a lot of additional life in stationary applications and thus will have considerable value. At the absolute end of their life, they are eminently recyclable.

Status
Not open for further replies.