Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #71  
1654000876667.png

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #72  
First, those flashy EV trucks are just that…advertisements. Cybertruck is still in cyberspace. Rivian has hundreds of thousands of orders and maybe a couple of thousand actually produced. Lightning is the only one that might actually gain some market.
And of the 3, the Lightning is the only one that looks like a "normal" truck. The cybertruck looks more like some sort of Mars rover vehicle than one you'd actually use to haul anything...other than someone with way too much money in their pocket who wants to scream "look at me", I can't think of anyone who'd want one. Personally, I find the looks of the Rivian rather off-putting too.
Maybe I'm out of step, but to me a truck is the last place I'd want a bunch of fussy hi-tech gizmos.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #73  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.

Well, I commute 45 miles round trip 3 days a week for work, then just trips around town or to neighboring cities 20 minutes away on weekends. I did the math recently and my Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 vs. a Ford Lightning EV is very eye opening. The fuel savings alone would amount to $350-400 per month. Then you have savings from not having to buy oil, filters, spark plugs, fluids, etc. It's almost enough savings to cover the payment on the new EV truck.

The Chevy Silverado EV promises a 400 mile range. That's exactly what my Tundra would get. So no problem there.

Payload and towing specs are identical. So no issue there.

The only drawback is charging TIME. In daily use you can easily plan ahead and charge at home once per week. But, on a long trip that's when the EV truck would suck.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #74  
Get a generator then. The electric companies will love to sell charging power for ev they'll find the grid problems and fix them to make those dollars. I'm not going to spend one minute worrying about the grid or evs.
Obviously you don't live in Kommunist Kalifornia and are served by Pacific Graft & Extorsion (PG&E)... And now PG&E is asking CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission) to add a fixed charge for grid improvements for wild fire mitigation,,,, A grid that have ignored for many years.... And we have power outage at almost any moment and it usually takes anywhere from 8 to 36 hours for them to restore....

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #75  
I don't see the purpose in an EV. If gas prices don't come down soon, the last worry I'll have is whether or not I have an EV!

I'll be more concerned with food & protecting my livestock. Time to go back to horses for travel when needed. otherwise learn to walk again. I hope all these worldly problems we're having will ultimately cleanse our gene pool of stupid people.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #76  
Not sure which "hybrid" you're referring to. There are Plug-IN hybrids and then there are Regenerative Braking hybrids that don't plug-into the grid to charge.

I think the Regenerative Braking systems make total sense. Capture downhill coasting energy and braking energy to charge an onboard battery that is used for slow driving and when the engine can be "switched off". These give max benefit in city driving conditions but boost overall MPG enough to be considered. Not dependent on charging stations. Totally self-contained. Millions of these have been made for decades by Honda, Ford, etc.

Why wouldn't an expansion of these systems be a better first-step? Still adds to the cost, but doesn't require any additional infrastructure.
I have had both early Prius with regeneration and Mrs. currently drives a plug-in that marries the regeneration technology with limited EV. Get about 30 miles of pure EV on a full charge. Great for running to the store or short commutes. Once you drain the EV, you still have a regenerative hybrid with 500 miles+ of range and 50+ mpg. Toyota is the recognized leader in hybrid technology and some of the domestic push for pure EV comes from the 'US' nameplates and associated unions to get around Toyota dominance.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #78  
Just bought a new Chevrolet Bolt. Wish I would have done it years ago.

Little maintenance, convenience of charging at home. and plenty of range. Extremely comfortable on the road.

2021 Bolt Premier.jpg

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #79  
Next we’ll be forced into driving electric hovercraft because asphalt & rubber tires create too much pollution and need too much oil to produce.
You just watch ;)
These folks never stop. Ever.
If you think cars depreciate quickly (and they DO) it makes you wonder what that gas burning vehicle in your garage is going to be worth in a few years? Probably ZERO.
With 50 of them going back to 1905 can’t say I have not thought about it…

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #80  
I buy the stocks that Nancy Pelosi buys. She is heavily invested in EV's and pushes a lot of friendly EV legislation.

It's a pump and dump and I'm here for it.

So go and buy those EV's...

Status
Not open for further replies.