Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #241  
If you are buying or considering buying a EV because the current administration is putting a stranglehold on the gas and oil industry you are making a bad decision. as soon as the administration changes the policies and politics will change again and the 200+ year supply of oil under North America will start flowing again. change will drive innovation in both industries, but for now, EVs are every bit as bad for the environment as gas cars over their entire lifetime.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #242  
The Bolt has a range of 259 miles on a FULL charge. So real life, 200 miles.

On a standard charger, it adds 25 miles of range per hour.

For a small vehicle, that isn’t attractive.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #243  
I would not buy a EV. Been there and done that. Had a Ford Fusion Engi plug in elect for 7 years. 35 miles with no air in summer 32 with no heat in winter. 10 year warranty on battery but what I understand for Ford to made a replacement battery available you had to give up your first born. True they have gotten better but even at a 100 or 200 mile range you better take a 2K gen with you to recharge or never leave the city limits. EV have a long ways to go to beat out the ICE. That is my 2 cents worth after owning one for a few years.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #244  
I’m not a big fan of the idea but with the tax credits combined with the high and rising fuel prices I might consider one.
Progress is what you have described on EV vehicles entering market . Keep in mind no standards have been set on charging rather they all have their own charging stations. Too early too expensive to jump in to EV. Why the lack of infrastructure until charging stations are a plentiful across the globe. You are left to seek out stations and some cases you will wait for a charging station to free up. Also stand back and understand if we all plugged our ev to charge at home it’s like running another AC unit at your house. Today’s grid system cannot sustain it self Currently today without brown outs somewhere. Add EV’s a plenty we will have more issues. Right now EV is novel item for those who can afford them. It’s perceived as cost savings by those who set the narrative.Keep driving what you own times always change as we have seen throughout history.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #245  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
What is the value of a well maintained heavy duty pick-up that's 10 years old? These are actually going up in value.
What is the value of a well maintained EV that's 10 years old? Pretty much zero. People do not want to face replacing that battery.
Right now I have to pay a "fee" because my used motor oil and tires are recycled. What will be the "fee" for recycling an old EV battery? It will be steep. The government will see it as a source of income and people who replace their battery will be forced to pay it. But all that is 'for their own good' 'ya know.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #246  
Nope....Pretty much a skeptic here.... The electrical thing about clean vehicles and energy is just a bubble, like what has happened in the past, like Housing, and internet, and a turkey in every oven on Thanksgiving bubbles... Follow the money (bubble).... Climate change, man probably can not do much about it as Mother Nature is in control....

And then there is issue of cost of replacement batteries a few years down the road, and environmental hazards for disposing of defective batteries,,, And let's not forget all the pollution and environmental hazards causes by the mining/extraction of exotic materials to create the batteries...
As well as the lack of an electrical grid that will support charging all of these vehicles.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #247  
if you think Ev's are going to replace cars and trucks in 6-8 years, i think your off by about 20.... not everyone can afford 50k vehicles, nor are the gas company going to wave a white flag and say guess were done stick a fork in us.

buy what works for you today. you may be dead tomorrow.

this applies to literally anything
Can’t imagine being out in the back 40 and my battery needs recharging.
I don’t have extension cords that long!!

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #248  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
I'd buy a toyota prius ,maybe a toyota hybrid truck after all my 4 vehicles are worn out.did you know your leaders both told you to buy electric and they have not put out any chargers for them.we are gonna have black outs this year because of their energy policies.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #249  
Just seeing this thread now. I likely would consider an EV for my wife's next car (local miles only). However her ICE only has 25K miles on it and I only buy vehicles when I need to, so it does not pencil out. If her car had a lot of miles it would be a different story. I cannot wrap my head around an EV truck since we do trips with the camper on it.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #250  
We love our Model 3 Tesla, bought in 2018. We've made many trips from SF Bay area to San Juan Islands in WA (~1000 miles), and the Tesla is quiet, economical and quick. The auto-follow cruise control and automatic lane following makes the really boring sections of I5 (south of Portland and Central Valley) less tedious. Maintenance so far has involved changing the wiper blades and rotating the tires; we have just under 40K miles on it. Driven miles are less that we expected - due to the pandemic, of course. This year I need to replace the tires. check brake fluid moisture content and put in new cabin filters (somewhat overdue). Since we live on a small (15 miles long) island, I've not even bothered to put in a 240 volt outlet as our local driving is easily handled with a 120V outlet; we generally don't make frequent trips off-island due to the expense and hassle of dealing with ferries - particularly in the summer.

We also have a 1996 F250 4x4 diesel, bought new and with about 250K miles on the clock. I will maintain that as long as possible; we use it to tow and move large amounts of stuff; it sees a few thousand miles a year. When it finally goes, I'll likely get an electric truck as it will do what I need.

Our tractor is an ancient Kubota, and since it does what I need, it will stay that way; if I needed a bigger tractor in the future I'd certainly consider an electric one.

For new vehicles and new houses, electric is clearly the future. Older vehicles will remain useful and in use, much as the Stanley steamers ran for years after production stopped. Houses will have furnaces replaced with heat pumps in the fullness of time; gas stoves will be replaced with induction ones.

Denying that change is happening is silly. You can choose where in the wave of change you ride, depending on your own needs and requirements. You may choose to surf towards the front of the wave, as we did with the Tesla, or ride in the quiet water at the back of the wave. After all, our 26' motor boat has a wood-burning steam power plant - not because that's "better", but because I enjoy it. The technology there is about 150 years old.

- Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.