TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,271  
Finally cooled off a bit and I was able to go hunting. Shot my first doe of the year, pretty small one... but that is pretty much all we have here, small ones. Very unfertile soil, basically just sand so our deer are pretty small, no nutrients in anything.
Anyway, one shot with my 6.5CM at a lazered 313 yards, bang flop right where she stood. Man I love my Tikka in 6.5... Hornady 129gr SST over AA 4350 load works well also!
View attachment 765704

View attachment 765705
I've had very similar results on similar deer with my 260 and 130 eldms at that range. Seems like a laser at these ranges on that size animal.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,272  
Just loaded up 30 300 Win Mag rounds in very carefully prepped new Nosler brass with 80 grains of H1000 pushing Berger 185 grain VLD hunters set at 3.015 COAL on the ogive for one of my buds who is going to Northern Arizona for a guided mule deer hunt in 2 weeks. Rifle is a custom built titanium action (700 clone) with a CF stock and Kreiger barrel with a Zeiss scope and Wyatt oversized box. Cases were new but still annealed and FL resized in custom built for the chamber Whidden bushing dies, shoulders bumped back 0.003 then the necks were turned concentric. Federal large rifle magnum match primers, set with a Bald Eagle micrometer primer tool. Rifle consistently holds sub MOA at 300 yards. One shot, one kill.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,273  
I've had very similar results on similar deer with my 260 and 130 eldms at that range. Seems like a laser at these ranges on that size animal.
I also shoot a .260 Rem. It's probably one of the best whitetail calibers there is. Minimal recoil and excellent ballistics. I shoot 120gr. Barnes TTSX

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,274  
Just loaded up 30 300 Win Mag rounds in very carefully prepped new Nosler brass with 80 grains of H1000 pushing Berger 185 grain VLD hunters set at 3.015 COAL on the ogive for one of my buds who is going to Northern Arizona for a guided mule deer hunt in 2 weeks. Rifle is a custom built titanium action (700 clone) with a CF stock and Kreiger barrel with a Zeiss scope and Wyatt oversized box. Cases were new but still annealed and FL resized in custom built for the chamber Whidden bushing dies, shoulders bumped back 0.003 then the necks were turned concentric. Federal large rifle magnum match primers, set with a Bald Eagle micrometer primer tool. Rifle consistently holds sub MOA at 300 yards. One shot, one kill.
What 700 clone did you go with, Defiance? That sounds like a really nice build, Kreiger makes good barrels, as does Shilen.

I have shot 180 grain .300 WM, but typically load 165 gr. for that caliber.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,275  
What 700 clone did you go with, Defiance? That sounds like a really nice build, Kreiger makes good barrels, as does Shilen.

I have shot 180 grain .300 WM, but typically load 165 gr. for that caliber.
It's a John Pierce (Lansing, Michigan) full custom build. John actually wire EDM's actions for quite a few builders and builds his own as well. Stick weighs 7.5 pounds fully dressed with 4 in the well and one in the chamber. Took almost a year to complete and set me back serious jack but it shoots lights out. Also have a Pierce built 308 based on a savage action. Same deal, Wyatt box but a Vortex scope. Both have Jewell triggers as well. The 308 weighs 7 flat.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,276  
Over my weekend me and the wife put about 20 rounds apiece out of my T/C flintlocks. Just getting ready for the season next week. I picked up a Colt re-issue 1860 Army from GB, just to remind me why I don't like buying from GB. Many more dings than described and deceptive camera angles to hide the damage. They offered to take it back for what I paid, but I would have to eat the shipping both ways and the taxes. That's over $110. So I kept it. "Docsingreenville" A+ rating, I guess they have to unload a turd every now and again.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,277  
I almost forgot, I also picked up an Interarms Mark X Mauser in .243, not sure why, I just like the CRF action. It was well worn but with a good bore, accurately described on GB. Some nimrod did a trigger job on it by filing on the cocking piece, so it is the only cock on closing '98 Mauser I have seen! The new cocking piece is on order. Now I need a scope, a sling and some range time.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,278  
I don't buy any new firearms anymore, my 'toolbox' is pretty full as it is and I look at firearms only as tools and nothing else, tools to effectuate a desired outcome, be it game hunting or personal defense. Besides, components are expensive enough today, not that I require any, I have plenty of reloading components for my needs well into the future.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,279  
I don't buy any new firearms anymore, my 'toolbox' is pretty full as it is and I look at firearms only as tools and nothing else, tools to effectuate a desired outcome, be it game hunting or personal defense. Besides, components are expensive enough today, not that I require any, I have plenty of reloading components for my needs well into the future.
These were used, I don't "need" any more either, I'm just enjoying my 2nd or 3rd childhood! My toolbox has been full for a while! In my career (that I retired from) I used them as tools everyday. I still pack, but today they are for enjoyment and hunting. The .243 was something I lusted after as a child, It will handle any deer walking in Pa with less recoil than my .30's.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,280  
All mine were purchased new or custom built. Never bought a used firearm but I have looked at them in the past, never bought one.