TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,281  
Well, all the stuff I'm after was made years ago so new is usually not an option. The last one I want is a T/C Seneca in .36 cal.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,282  
My "toolbox" has been undergoing a downsizing for 15 years....with more to come.

If addressing "needs", all I need is:
Rifles:
One High end .22 PCP air gun
One .22 LR bolt gun
One .22 Semi-auto rifle
One .223 Bolt gun
Three AR15's for SHTF
Two .308 hunting rifles (Need back up)
One .308 "sniper rifle" for SHTF
Three .30/30's if the idiots ban AR15's

Pistols:
One good PCP air pistol
Two Kahr 9mm's
Two Glock 22's with spare 9mm barrels and mags
Two .357 revolvers

Shotguns:
Two Mossberg 500's for defense
20 ga O/U for hunting
12 ga Trap gun.

I have sent dozens of others down the road. With my son recently marrying a fool who will not permit guns in the house, everything else is getting sold.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,283  
My "toolbox" has been undergoing a downsizing for 15 years....with more to come.
I've been telling myself to do that for awhile. I recently finally sat down and figured out what I'm keeping, what's going, and what's replacing some of them. Think I'll end up with four rifles, two shotguns, and five-ish revolvers.

This doesn't include my Wife's side of the safe.
One High end .22 PCP air gun
Speaking of PCPs, I noticed a couple weeks ago that the prices for the DAR rifles have shot way up. I also noticed that they are no longer offering them in .177.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,284  
Been having a conversation elsewhere today about bolt action shotguns. I have an old Marlin model 55 with the MicroChoke. Long story short; my Mother bought one out of the Sears catalog for my Father as an anniversary gift back in the 1950s. He loaned it to my uncle (Mother's brother), and I spent a couple decades unsuccessfully trying to get it back. Not long after I gave up, I found one in a local gun shop and bought it. Not my Father's gun, but still a reminder.

I've only ever shot it once, but it is one of the keepers when I downsize.

Curious how many others here have a bolt action shotgun. Do you use it?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,285  
PJS,
When I got my DAR it was $300 and a very good buy for the price. It will not match my Daystate Huntsman but it was 30% of the cost so have been very pleased with it,

At 50 yards the Daystate has averaged .77" 5 shot groups at 50 yards (45 groups) using Crosman 14.3's. Using the same pellet in the DAR I got 1.08" for 5 groups. I use the DAR for plinking at 25 yards so did not do much testing at 50 yards. At 25 yards, the DAR produced an average of .46" for 41 groups using that cheap Crosman 14.3 pellet. That is better than a lot of .22 LR will shoot if people are honest and record EVERY group.

At the current price of $500 the DAR is still a decent option. I like that it has a wooden stock and does not need an aftermarket moderator. The trigger on mine is not great and that may factor into me not shooting it better. The trigger can be easily improved but I have been too lazy to get it done. I spend most of my trigger time with the Daystate.

If you want a serious PCP rifle, go for the Daystate. They are $1100. You will want a moderator for it. I got a Donny FL (IIRC $150). I have a buddy who is a competitive shooter, and he is getting 1/2" groups at 50 yards with JSB heavies.

I wanted something that was accurate and cheap to shoot and PCP's accomplished that goal. It costs me about $15/k including pellets and air.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,286  
I wanted something that was accurate and cheap to shoot and PCP's accomplished that goal.
And, that's kind of where I am as well. I wouldn't be shooting any competition with it. Just looking for some inexpensive trigger time.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,287  
Well, all the stuff I'm after was made years ago so new is usually not an option. The last one I want is a T/C Seneca in .36 cal.
I really liked the quality of those Thompson/Center muzzle loaders. Had a Hawkins and foolishly sold it years ago (while they were still making them). Still have my T/C Blackmountain Magnum. Always wanted to get another Hawkins and a Seneca. But the prices now are just insane. Good luck on your search.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,288  
Curious how many others here have a bolt action shotgun. Do you use it?
I have one in 12 ga with an adjustable choke added. Shot it a couple times with the older gentleman that I got it from. I think of those days when I dig far enough into the safe to see it. He was a good man to have met!
David from Jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,289  
Here's the airgun target board thing I hacked together over the weekend:

20221008_205413_resized.jpg

Don't mind the mess, the shop is still in process, I just wanted a quick project and wanted some winter trigger time... I'll probably grab some of my spare OSB or whatever and put behind it so I don't hurt the wall if something dumb happens...

I still say the Benjamin Marauder is a good place to start in PCP if you can find one, my first one was a refurb for like $300, first gen with wood stock, they have choked shrouded barrels and in .22 last I checked I got like 60 shots a fill reasonably consistent, I'm not big on shooting paper so don't have that kinda records but I've taken anything from starlings to racoon, nutria and skunk with mine... don't think I've taken anything with the .25 Mrod...

The other day I pulled out my modified Crosman 2240 with a long .177 barrel and shoulder stock and steel breech so I could mount a cheap scope, it gets like 60 shots per CO2 cartridge so shoots slow but consistent and is quiet... good cheap fun, I literally threw it together with spare parts... it now has some 3D printed moderator on it to quiet it down a little more just for fun, I need to get rid of the tall scope rings that are on it...

20161021_214322.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,290  
RFB,

Love air guns once I made the switch from springers.

I have 5 now. 4 PCP's and a CO2.

Amazingly accurate and cheap to shoot. Cannot justify plinking with .22 LR when I can shoot .22 air pellets for $15/1000 and get better accuracy.