TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,751  
Question is, now that the necks are crushed; and I doubt they will even go into a full-length sizing die; are these just 100% trash now? Is there a way to recover brass with a crushed neck-shoulder junction?
View attachment 783644

IMG_7226.JPG

IMG_7230.JPG

IMG_7231.JPG

Your situation is a bit more complicated since it involves a shoulder but it got me thinking about salvaging this 9mm case and primer.

Step 1 was using a drill stem (letter R) as a mandrel and lightly hammering the crease down.
Step 2 was resizing
Step 3 was seating a bullet and resizing again with the hope of smoothing out the inner wall of the case.

I’m thinking if u anneal the shoulder area before resizing this might work for you.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,752  
My opinion would be that those pieces of brass are not worth the effort of diddling around with. I would just toss them into the scrap bucket.

If you had a set of expanding mandrels...

And IF you had a set of reducing dies, you could play with trying to straighten out that case. But you'll need to anneal them after moving the brass around that much. Probably should anneal them before you try to fix them.

For only a couple pieces of readily available parent brass (223) I wouldn't bother.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,753  
I'll probably see if neck stretches back out when I pull the bullets; and if it does, try resizing, if not, then oh well.
For cast bullets; I use a press with no die, just shell holder, and raise ram, then above the press, grab with pliers, and lower ram. Complete mangles bullet, but just remelt them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,754  
Been handloading for over 25 years now and I've never loaded a cast lead pill. Always FMJ's and usually Bergers or Sierra's but mostly Bergers

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,755  
Been handloading for over 25 years now and I've never loaded a cast lead pill. Always FMJ's and usually Bergers or Sierra's but mostly Bergers
So, for something like 300 Blk, your 200gr-240gr jacketed bullets are pretty much all match bullets; at $0.40-0.60; for what is a glorified 45 acp; vs like $0.042 with $1.50/lbs wheel weights from ebay. Now; I don't buy a lot of what you read online, about fantastic accuracy from lead bullets; but for pistol rounds, 300 Blk, ect; if your getting 4 MOA; can you really complain for plinking. I got 6 molds used on FB market for like $40. Turned around and sold the 6 cabity 45 acp mold for $60 on ebay; and grabbed a Lyman 20 pound dipper pot.

I pretty much got started, thinking I would shoot 9mm for $0.05; lol; now with primers at $0.10; I don't know its worth it.

Edit; I do know about Berrys plated 200 or 220 plated 308 bullets; but they are around $0.30/each.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,756  
I want to add to the above; yep 4 MOA is awful; but if we are being honest; most factory ammo, short of match stuff, probably is hovering around 2.5 MOA in a lot of guns. Also, 2" groups at 50 yards has a place. Mil spec AR barrels, shooting 62gr 556; that's probably in the neighborhood of 3-4 MOA... that stuff is crap.

Edit: Marlin 60? 66? tube feed semi auto 22lr we had as a kid was probably around 12 MOA after the many many thousands of rounds; 30 years of abuse, ect; and a cheap 3x bushnell from the 70s... but it was a lot of fun

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,757  
Don't own one and don't want one either. I'm a long barrel (as in hunting rifle) with a custom tube and action person. I do own handguns but mostly big bore as in 460's and 500's. Do have a Kimber 45 full size but plenty of Winchester factory loads, so many in fact, I've never handloaded any. .

My favorite semi is my .50 cal DE.

One thing I never do is post any load data, ever. That is my business only.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,758  
I feel a bit different about the sharing loads stuff;
1st: if someone blindly follows loads from random dude online, they deserve what they get...
2nd: there are already enough people with their "I blend reddot and pyrdodex in my muzzleload and it works great" so, more real info out there is a good thing;
3rd: my 40gr Vmax load in 223 bolt gun, very well might not cycle someone's AR, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good load.

Now, if your reasoning is, you spent 500 projectiles; 8 lbs of powder, and 6 months profecting your load, and don't want to give it away, I get that; that's why I don't ask for anyone's loads; but I don't see the harm in pointing people towards "try some H4895 on 75gr ELDs, up towards max, that works for me" kinda data.

Just some contrarian thoughts :)

Edit: I guess I should say, if you have a stupid fast, well over max load that is a laser in your rifle, and you have no visble pressure signs, but know your 5 grs over the craziest book data out there; I think just posting that as a "recommendation" is probably not responsible

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,759  
I just tell them to biy a reloading manual and follow the the recommended charges. Nice thing about modern rifles is, the receivers are cross frilled to let the fire out. Much better than having the fire in your face die to stupidity. How I load, how much I load and what I use is my business and it stays that way.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,760  
I just tell them to biy a reloading manual and follow the the recommended charges. Nice thing about modern rifles is, the receivers are cross frilled to let the fire out. Much better than having the fire in your face die to stupidity. How I load, how much I load and what I use is my business and it stays that way.
Very good post and advice. (y)