TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,181  
I am against open carry for me and my family. In a crowed restaurant or room, the bad guys are going to make you high on the list of people to address first and foremost, and I would prefer a small measure, how limited it might be, of surprise.
David from jax
That is EXACTLY correct!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,182  
I just tried paper & pencil rubbing on this old gun as well as chalk hoping to bring the name out (manufacturer or owner?).
The hammers have a double click when pulling them back, like halfway then full.
Any thoughts appreciated. A mystery to me.
20210807_152055.jpg
20210807_152030.jpg
20210807_151946.jpg
20210807_151804.jpg
20210807_151000.jpg
20210807_151337.jpg
20210807_150900.jpg
20210807_150832.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,183  
There's another thread specifically on these pieces. Love the history, but maybe try to not hijack a thread.

I think most people who have bad intentions are cowards. As such, the open carry can act as a deterrent. I also think there is a place for concealed as well. Essentially, assume everyone is armed and we have much less likelihood of anyone using them other than to practice.

For me, the larger handgun fits my hand better and doesn't lend itself to cc as much as my wife's Walther. I will open carry on my own land and will after Sep 1 when new law goes into effect. I am not so much trying to say 'look at me' the Glock will be discretely carried, but not fully concealed, if that makes sense.
I pretty much always carry on my own land!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,184  
I wear a padded hat with flip down ear covers (Filson brand, and for warmth) and a red flannel jacket (Filson wool cruiser and a Johnson wool cruiser). Don't have the 30-ought six though
That make me a Fudd?

Even though I'm not too concerned if my handgun is exposed occasionally (like when whipping back a jacket to grab my wallet), I don't open carry...like some of you, I just prefer people don't know I'm heeled
My duck hunting cap is probably the same cap. It's a Filson camo. If conditions get cold, I sometimes cover it with a Thinsulate stocking cap. If things get nasty and cold, one or two hooded sweatshirts, a Carhartt hooded canvas coat, and a hooded camo poncho keep me warm. Shooting mittens keep my hands warm, and I only stick the trigger finger out when there's a flight coming. I put my dog in a fitted neoprene wet suit vest for flotation and insulation. That duck blind can get plenty wet and cold, and of course the best shooting is when a storm blows through.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,185  
I just tried paper & pencil rubbing on this old gun as well as chalk hoping to bring the name out (manufacturer or owner?).
The hammers have a double click when pulling them back, like halfway then full.
Any thoughts appreciated. A mystery to me.View attachment 708742View attachment 708743View attachment 708744View attachment 708745View attachment 708746View attachment 708747View attachment 708748View attachment 708749
It could be a "guild gun", as back in the day guns were made by guild registered craftsmen and various "gunmakers" used them to make guns under contract.

The "half cock" on the hammers is pretty common for an exposed hammer caplock gun. You first draw the hammer back to half cock, so you can then place the ignition cap on the nipple. You then pull the hammer all the way back to fully cock it to fire. It's where the term "going off half cocked" came from. Sometimes the lockworks would get worn out and the hammer would fall from half cock, or the shooter would forget under stress to pull the hammer back to full cock and fire it from half cock. Firing from half cock wouldn't always set off the ignition cap however, as the hammer wouldn't be going at full speed (force) when it struck the cap.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,187  
I respect your choice and your reasoning is sound. If I'm in an open carry location and open carrying, I'd bet more than 40% of the folks around me are open carring as well. Bad guys are chicken sheets they'll find easier targets.
And just how far "East of Hangtown, CA" are you? I didn't think CA allowed any open carry.
Bad guys might be chicken sheets, but when they come in armed to the teeth with a death wish, I would prefer not to be the first one they target. I figure the security guards and Police will be the first targets, and then anyone they suspect are carrying. Showing them that you are armed keeps them from guessing...
You keep on open carrying, as you are the bait, lol!!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,190  
It could be a "guild gun", as back in the day guns were made by guild registered craftsmen and various "gunmakers" used them to make guns under contract.

The "half cock" on the hammers is pretty common for an exposed hammer caplock gun. You first draw the hammer back to half cock, so you can then place the ignition cap on the nipple. You then pull the hammer all the way back to fully cock it to fire. It's where the term "going off half cocked" came from. Sometimes the lockworks would get worn out and the hammer would fall from half cock, or the shooter would forget under stress to pull the hammer back to full cock and fire it from half cock. Firing from half cock wouldn't always set off the ignition cap however, as the hammer wouldn't be going at full speed (force) when it struck the cap.
Hence the term going off half cocked.