/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,781  
6 shots with a 17lb hammer spring.
David from Jax

Attachments

• 20211025_184640.jpg
    20211025_184640.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,782  
Anyone else buy a used gun that took a while to get back to sending bullets downrange?
David from jax
I traded for my 500 S$W which I had problems with, ended up sending it in to S$W who fixed it free of charge.. needed firing pin work and timing adjustment if I remember correctly. The only gun I have ever sent in!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,783  
Anyone else hearing Hornady shut down due to a walk out over the covid mandate? Trying to confirm.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,784  
Anyone else hearing Hornady shut down due to a walk out over the covid mandate? Trying to confirm.
AHH GOOD, the mandate is pure BS!! The more places that shut down the better.. maybe they will begin to see the error of their ways!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,785  
AHH GOOD, the mandate is pure BS!! The more places that shut down the better.. maybe they will begin to see the error of their ways!
The problem with that, is our Guberment already has plenty of ammo stashed away, and doesn't care if we run out. Plus they get priority with them when they start back up! Until the walkouts start affecting people who make the laws, or enough people that vote, they don't care about us! I am wondering when they will start mandating trucking company's employees get poked.
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,786  
Anyone else buy a used gun that took a while to get back to sending bullets downrange?
I bought a S&W 64-5 about eight years ago from a guy I met on a shooting forum. It was a security trade in. When I shot it for the first time, everything seemed OK until about the third cylinder full of moderate .38 Special handloads, when the cylinder was starting to bind up, and eventually stopped turning. I took it to a local gunsmith, which I had planned to do anyway to replace the bobbed hammer and sear to change it from double-action-only to regular single/double action. They did the hammer/sear work, but found that the cylinder pin was bent, causing it to bind once it got slightly dirty. So, they sent it to Smith & Wesson for the pin replacement and to check the timing. S&W did that for free, and also paid the return shipping, so I only paid for the hammer and sear replacement, and shipping to S&W. I was without it for about two months. It's been one of my favorite range toys ever since. Just a great-shooting gun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,787  
6 shots with a 17lb hammer spring.

With the consistency of neck splits we're seeing from that batch of brass I'd pull some down, get 'em annealed, and reload a few. It's easy for a PO to have overworked belted or rimmed brass by pushing shoulders back too far when sizing. Do we know how many times o'all they've been loaded?

btw, when pulling down ammo the powder is fine for indoor or outdoor plants and at pretty much any time of year. Spread evenly on top or under mulch.

Edit: I'm fine with a trigger pull of 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 lbs on a rifle, 4-6 on a SG. Thanks for the pics, quality.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,788  
With the consistency of neck splits we're seeing from that batch of brass I'd pull some down, get 'em annealed, and reload a few. It's easy for a PO to have overworked belted or rimmed brass by pushing shoulders back too far when sizing. Do we know how many times o'all they've been loaded?

btw, when pulling down ammo the powder is fine for indoor or outdoor plants and at pretty much any time of year. Spread evenly on top or under mulch.
I am taking a look at how much of the four hundred rounds of ammo that I have, that are loaded from the only brass I purchased used. Can't be over 160 of them, and after that, I will stick with new brass until I run out. I do have the once fired brass sent by "this old grind" and will probably give that a try to see how it works, or I could just use it for reloading 44 magnum and not try to neck it down. I don't have annealing capabilities nor know of anyone that does, so going that route would be another experiment. I have enough new brass to load to last me for a while, and will probably keep my eye out for more as things progress. When I was just shooting the Contender, a box of ammo lasted a lot longer!!
I pulled down one light primer strike casings last night, and didn't learn anything about why it didn't fire!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,789  
I traded for my 500 S$W which I had problems with, ended up sending it in to S$W who fixed it free of charge.. needed firing pin work and timing adjustment if I remember correctly. The only gun I have ever sent in!
Ruger offered to send me a replacement spring, but "the old grind" had already beat them to it with a selection of springs. From my experience, Ruger would take the gun without question and return it to factory settings, which would undo all the reasons I purchased it for. The gun was manufactured as a 357 magnum with a 6.5" barrel and is now a 357-44 Bain and Davis with a 4.5" barrel and a trigger pull of 2.25. The caliber along with the smooth trigger won't make it past a trip to Ruger!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,790  
My friend David has Bench-Source annealing setup. He also has a job and a Son in college, so he won't be wearing it out soon.

Among autoloaders Annealeez would be my choice for sure. Good system/capacity/price.

I kinda have my eye on this one because I watched the outfit's video to see what the bucks would buy. Setup is too easy, price too good, and Tempilac is too reliable if used properly. Watch the whole video and learn what'll help you set up any brand/system.