TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,981  
After 7 months I finally got the call that my Suppressor tax stamp was in and I could come and pick up my Silencerco sparrow. This is my first suppressor and I'm having a blast, I'm sure the neighbors probably appreciate it too. I first cleaned the can after about 200 rounds, not enjoyable but not terrible either.
Today I cleaned it after about 500 rounds, not fun, solvent and scraping, has to be a better way.
I'm researching cleaning, the dip method looks like it works well, just not a fan of the chemicals envolved.
What methods are the veteran suppressor users going with?
I have a range on my property and enjoy shooting quiet often, so I'm in need of a better cleaning method.

Thanks
Mike
I don't have one yet, but an ultrasonic bath is on my must buy list for cleaning cruddy parts. Everyone I know who has one would use nothing else.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,982  
I don't have one yet, but an ultrasonic bath is on my must buy list for cleaning cruddy parts. Everyone I know who has one would use nothing else.

Ultrasonic will kill most modern silencers due to the metals used.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,983  
Interesting! I didn't know that. All my experience with ultrasonics are with people who use them for small gun parts and brass. We're unfortunately in a state where supressors are illegal.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,984  

Could you please provide some examples of ultrasonic cleaners "killing" most metals in silencers? Not trying to be argumentative, and I don't have a sonic cleaner myself, (I use a tumbler), but as far as I'm aware of, if the baffles are stainless steel, a sonic cleaner won't do any harm to the baffles. What you do have to be careful of however is the "finished metal" (basically your outter tube). I do have a buddy who uses a sonic cleaner on his .22 cans, and I haven't heard him say anything about killing the can. I did go the tumbler route, but before I bought one I did look at ultrasonic tumblers, and everything in my research didn't point to ultrasonic cleaners killing cans (again, it will kill the finish).

That said, now on my .22 cans, as long as I can get them open and knock off any chunks of carbon, I'm happy. IMO the baffles shouldn't be spotless anyways.

Just took my new 300 blackout AR off the back porch to see what she sounds like yesterday. At least to myself, my piston rifle sounds a lotter better than the DI AR using subsonic ammo.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,985  
Could you please provide some examples of ultrasonic cleaners "killing" most metals in silencers? Not trying to be argumentative, and I don't have a sonic cleaner myself, (I use a tumbler), but as far as I'm aware of, if the baffles are stainless steel, a sonic cleaner won't do any harm to the baffles. What you do have to be careful of however is the "finished metal" (basically your outter tube). I do have a buddy who uses a sonic cleaner on his .22 cans, and I haven't heard him say anything about killing the can. I did go the tumbler route, but before I bought one I did look at ultrasonic tumblers, and everything in my research didn't point to ultrasonic cleaners killing cans (again, it will kill the finish).

That said, now on my .22 cans, as long as I can get them open and knock off any chunks of carbon, I'm happy. IMO the baffles shouldn't be spotless anyways.

Just took my new 300 blackout AR off the back porch to see what she sounds like yesterday. At least to myself, my piston rifle sounds a lotter better than the DI AR using subsonic ammo.

Some baffles are aluminum...that's the metal that should not be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. IIRC, it's not the ultrasonic aspect, it's the chemicals used.

Joe, you use a standard tumbler (used for brass) for cleaning your suppressors?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,986  
Some baffles are aluminum...that's the metal that should not be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. IIRC, it's not the ultrasonic aspect, it's the chemicals used.

Joe, you use a standard tumbler (used for brass) for cleaning your suppressors?

Roy, in my defense I stated "stainless steel" (per baffles):D

But you're right, aluminum baffles are a whole different animal per cleaning vs stainless steel (I wouldn't even use a tumbler on aluminum).

Yes, used my cabela's points and picked up a Frankford Arsenal tumbler, which I use from time to time on my stainless steel baffles.

FA.png

That said, I really don't use it that much.

As mentioned, I'm at the point where as long as I can break the .22 can open and get the baffles out to knock out the chunks of carbon, I'm good.

Worst case, everyone should have a wooden dowel with the OD diameter slightly smaller than the ID of your baffles. The dowel will help you push the baffles out if you get to that point LOL Lazy meathod is just to let the can soak for some time in some kind of oil (God knows, everyone has their opinion on which "oil" works best that won't harm the baffles). Cheap meathod is just use a pan, pour in the oil, and soak the entire can, then break it apart. Or, you can buy test tubes that will hold the entire can with a cap to hold the oil in so you aren't wasting any more oil than you have to. There has to be at least 10,000 different ways people clean cans and the discussions can be endless as which meathod is the best and does no damage.

Heck, absolute worst thing that can happen is you shoot your .22 can with 20,000 rounds without cleaning it, can't get the dang thing open as you put a pound of buildup in it you want to knock out, and then you send it back to the maufacturer to have them break it open for you.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,987  
Bought a Steven's 14 1/2 little scout the other day. Took it apart to replace mainspring and trigger spring. It was made before savage bought stevens.20180801_152004.jpeg20180801_184257.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,988  
Great to see the young man getting into shooting (and maybe hunting?)...and nice gun.

I remember my oldest son saving to buy his first shotgun and how excited he was when he took his first duck at 12 years old.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,989  
Great to see the young man getting into shooting (and maybe hunting?)...and nice gun.

I remember my oldest son saving to buy his first shotgun and how excited he was when he took his first duck at 12 years old.
He likes hunting.IMG_1620.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,990  
Picked up another revolver I'd been hankering for...quite a while now.
The revolver is a Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper in stainless steel and has a birds head grip...chambered in .22LR (as are all Bearcats)

The picture below is of a Ruger Vaquero chambered in .357 Magnum (top) and the Bearcat...gives you an idea of the size of the Bearcat.

Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper_e.jpg

Haven't shot it yet...that will be today after some chores