TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,641  
A common discussion here is CC guns and caliber and I am one of those who engage in this argument.

While researching a different subject (caseless ammo) I came across the FBI report regarding why they returned to 9mm.

I am in the process of evaluating similar small weapons for CC (Rugar 9mm vs S&W M&P .40) in different projectile weights. I already have enough of both calibers in LE configuration to carry either.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,642  
A common discussion here is CC guns and caliber and I am one of those who engage in this argument.

While researching a different subject (caseless ammo) I came across the FBI report regarding why they returned to 9mm.

I am in the process of evaluating similar small weapons for CC (Rugar 9mm vs S&W M&P .40) in different projectile weights. I already have enough of both calibers in LE configuration to carry either.
Yet oddly the "high risk" warrant guys and response teams don't necessarily use 9mm....

There is a lot of data out there supporting 9mm or similar as being the most effective, I think a lot of it overlooks the training level of the person launching the round. 9mm is very easy to train on and use, other calibers not so much yet they are "manly" so that's what someone is gonna carry. Does that drag down the effectiveness statistics for other rounds? Maybe.

End of the day the one on your body that you can effectively manipulate and hit with is the most effective caliber because the gun on the nightstand, or that you can't turn the safety off of fast enough, or miss with 87 times just won't do much.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,643  

I’ve had my Ruger 9mm for many years.

Never had to use it other than at practice.

I love the trigger.

9mm just feels ok for me. I have a smaller Ruger 380 but it just seemed “too small”.

MoKelly

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,644  

Well good! Should make .40SW more readily available for those that prefer it!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,645  
Do you load 5 or 6? I have an older 686 with the firing pin on the hammer. I see people claiming that it's unsafe to carry it without an empty cylinder. I don't see it. The theory is that if you were to drop it just right it could break the hammer block and let the firing pin hit the cartridge. It sounds like lawyer logic to me. Without pulling the trigger, there is no way to force the firing pin past the face of the action.

Maybe with a different gun I would feel differently, but I only carry the 686 in a secure sidearm holster. I don't think twice about loading 6. What do you think?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,646  
Do you load 5 or 6? I have an older 686 with the firing pin on the hammer. I see people claiming that it's unsafe to carry it without an empty cylinder. I don't see it. The theory is that if you were to drop it just right it could break the hammer block and let the firing pin hit the cartridge. It sounds like lawyer logic to me. Without pulling the trigger, there is no way to force the firing pin past the face of the action.

Maybe with a different gun I would feel differently, but I only carry the 686 in a secure sidearm holster. I don't think twice about loading 6. What do you think?
I hate gun rumors...carry six in a 686 every day and twice on Sundays.

On the 686 there are three safeties, two specifically for addressing the hammer striking a round carried in the chamber.

First, the hammer rebound block on the trigger, if the trigger is forward the hammer can not go forward to make contact at the primer.

Second, there is a hammer block. The hammer block prevents a broken hammer or failure at the rebound block from allowing the hammer to move forward and strike the primer.
SW686explode.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,647  

A gun without a round in the chamber is just an expensive hammer...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,650  
A gun without a round in the chamber is just an expensive hammer...
Yeah, but as soon as you cock it, the cylinder is going to rotate to the next round.
Don't think I'm criticizing...I carry a .38 snubby (Taurus 85) with one under the hammer. The difference is te Taurus has a transfer bar which requires a trigger pull for the round to fire.
What you like is what you like...you know the risks and you accept them. That's free choice...