TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,352  
I need some recommendations. I have 22lr conversion slide for my Sig 226 and that's what I usually carry on me or in my truck when I'm at the deer lease for dispatching wounded/trapped hogs etc. It's a very accurate and reliable setup. I really like the SA/DA with decocker of the P226, so I started looking at the Sig Mosquito as a dedicated ranch gun. They're discontinued, but still available NIB on gun broker. Does anyone have one? How does the size compare to a P226? Or if the size is nearly identical, am I just as well off to continue with what I'm currently doing with the P226?

I'm not set on having to have a decocker, but I do prefer a hammer SA/DA, not a striker fired pistol, for this duty. Any other guns I should look at?

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a compact "belly" gun that's only good for 7 yards, and also not a target pistol with a stupid long barrel. But kind of a working man's field gun that's in between.
I want a .22 LCR for while I’m running…had more than a few run ins with dogs and other critters. Anyway, haven’t had availability and cash in hand happen at the same time yet.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,353  
Not sure if you would consider a revolver but the Ruger Birdshead Wrangler is cheap and perfect for dispatching critters. Around here $180 bucks and you get the gun with a nice leather holster. Cheap enough you dont need to worry about it getting beat up.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,354  
My wife has been using a cheap Heritage 22LR (she does have the 22 Mag Cylinder) for dispatching things she traps mostly raccoons and possoms, or kill the occasions coop intruders from snake to coon.
They come on all barrel lengths (2 1/2-16") and are fairly accurate. No adjustable sights, you just learn your gun. She is better with it than I am, but I rarely shoot it. I grab a rifle as needed.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,356  
all this fine chat around .22

Can anyone comment on "Rat/Snake shot" from a longish barreled revolver vs a typical bolt action rifle.

Just wondering about pattern spread. I've used the shot in the rifle, and pretty much know it for my needs. But I've thought about similar applications with a hand gun.

Comments?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,358  
all this fine chat around .22

Can anyone comment on "Rat/Snake shot" from a longish barreled revolver vs a typical bolt action rifle.

Just wondering about pattern spread. I've used the shot in the rifle, and pretty much know it for my needs. But I've thought about similar applications with a hand gun.

Comments?
I have .357 shot shells that I use in my revolver for snakes. They work well, but I’m not sure about .22 shot shells.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,359  
I have .357 shot shells that I use in my revolver for snakes. They work well, but I’m not sure about .22 shot shells.
I've used the .22 and the 9mm shot shells and they both have worked fine in my semi-auto's for snakes.

In fact, I use both in my Sig-226 aforementioned in this thread with no issues.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,360  

I have a Savage 93 smooth-bore .22 LR rifle and a 6 1/2" Rough rider. The rifle will pattern Federal or Winchester ~24" at 30 feet with say avg 1" pellet spread. The HG will pattern similar at say 12 feet and is nearing the limit of stopping power. The #12 shot is .053"/.025gn & IMO doesn't pack much punch beyond spittin' distance. That said With no snakes anywhere near here nothing about the setup works for me.

Shot, brass, & capsules if ya got 'em. btw, I heard a guy recommend #11 shot (.058" .30gn) for 9mm or .38 capsules for a dense pattern on snakes in Texas but cautioned that IHO it ran out of steam beyond 5 yd/15'.