TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,701  
When it comes to scatter guns I prefer a good ole double barrel even though I have several pumps as well.
I would prefer a pump over a double barrel. Two shots in a double barrel as compared to 5 or more in a pump! Granted the double has a slight edge on the second shot's timing, but after the second shot, there is no comparison.
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,702  
I would prefer a pump over a double barrel. Two shots in a double barrel as compared to 5 or more in a pump! Granted the double has a slight edge on the second shot's timing, but after the second shot, there is no comparison.
David from jax
Depends entirely on the use case. For a defensive (or offensive) shotgun, I'd take a pump 100% of the time; for small game/birds; umm, I'd really like to add a proper O/U shotgun. You can have #7.5s in one barrel and #4s in the other; or an improved cylinder and a full choke, for those longer shots.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,703  
David from jax

True but when I was taught to hunt it was, if ya can't do it with two and still have one live shell left then ya best go back to the house. When I was first taken out to hunt all I was allowed to use was a single shot (rifle or scatter gun) so I learned to make the first/only shot count or not take it.

That said, now if you are defending yourself then an unplugged pump is the way to go. As a woman said to me: "NOTHING makes ones courage run down their leg like the sound of a pump gun being racked.'

I'd really like to add a proper O/U shotgun. You can have #7.5s in one barrel and #4s in the other; or an improved cylinder and a full choke, for those longer shots.
The one time I shot an O/U it just didn't real right to me, never could put a finger on why... maybe it's to many years of seeing the barrels side by side. :LOL:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,704  
A few of you build AR's, so I have a question on adjustable gas blocks.

Does anyone make a 3-position gas block that would work as described below with a three position lever or such? If not, it seems like there would be a good market for one.

Position 1= full closed, so the action won't cycle. Seems like this would be perfect for suppressed and sub-sonic. Essentially making your gun a bolt gun, requiring you to cycle the action.

Position 2= throttled for suppressor use. This position would need to be tunable somehow. But once tuned and adjusted, you could always return to it with a flick of the 3 position lever.

Position 3= full open for non-suppressor use or when full gas might be needed for low power ammo etc.

All my AR's have adjustable gas blocks, but they're either infinitely adjustable or 9-position, with no demarcation of position.

It'd be really sweet to be able to choose one of 3 gas modes, with the flick of a lever.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,705  

Does anyone make a 3-position gas block that would work as described below with a three position lever or such? If not, it seems like there would be a good market for one.

Position 1= full closed, so the action won't cycle. Seems like this would be perfect for suppressed and sub-sonic. Essentially making your gun a bolt gun, requiring you to cycle the action.

Position 2= throttled for suppressor use. This position would need to be tunable somehow. But once tuned and adjusted, you could always return to it with a flick of the 3 position lever.

Position 3= full open for non-suppressor use or when full gas might be needed for low power ammo etc.

All my AR's have adjustable gas blocks, but they're either infinitely adjustable or 9-position, with no demarcation of position.

It'd be really sweet to be able to choose one of 3 gas modes, with the flick of a lever.
There are various semi-auto rifles that allow the gas to be "turned off" or dialed in but I've not seen a 3-position, lever adjustable gas block for on the fly changes, but that doesn't mean that they're not available. The holy grail of semi or full auto rifles was to be able to run (cycle the bolt) subsonic suppressed or supersonic suppressed with a change of ammunition only. This is what the 300 Blackout bought to table and something that 5.56 has never been able to achieve. We worked with duplex rounds at Remington with .223/5.56 in an attempt to deliver something to various special operations groups but it was never successful.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,707  
Just seen wing tactical website. They have an interesting adjustable block also.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,708  

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,709  
Got a scope question, or request for opinions...

Got to out something on that Savage 93 Mininimlist better than the CV Life that was collecting dust in my closet. This is mostly a small game, fun, plinking, and garden/chicken defense gun.

I found ebay auction for a Leupold 2-7×33 Rifleman scope, that I'm watching. So far, price is right, and I guess the question; would you rather buy a used Leupold (discontinued since 2014 or so?) or same money on a Redfield/newer 2nd hand Vortex/Athlon? Leaning 2-7, 3-9, or similar; and primarily just want a durable do-all, that is light, and clear. Not looking to dail drops, and not worried about mil dots; if we start talking about needing to do hold overs, it's probably time to use more than a rimfire.

I've got a Vortex Vanquish 3-9 on a 22lr, and it looks great at dusk compared to some others,

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,710  
Got a scope question, or request for opinions...

Got to out something on that Savage 93 Mininimlist better than the CV Life that was collecting dust in my closet. This is mostly a small game, fun, plinking, and garden/chicken defense gun.

I found ebay auction for a Leupold 2-7×33 Rifleman scope, that I'm watching. So far, price is right, and I guess the question; would you rather buy a used Leupold (discontinued since 2014 or so?) or same money on a Redfield/newer 2nd hand Vortex/Athlon? Leaning 2-7, 3-9, or similar; and primarily just want a durable do-all, that is light, and clear. Not looking to dail drops, and not worried about mil dots; if we start talking about needing to do hold overs, it's probably time to use more than a rimfire.

I've got a Vortex Vanquish 3-9 on a 22lr, and it looks great at dusk compared to some others,
Tough call. Vortex and leupold are both good. Both warranties are great, from my experience.

That being said I have all leupold scopes and vortex red dots.

I have a 2x7 rifleman on my 450 bushmaster. Works great and couldn't argue on the price. Rifleman scopes are bottom of the ring for leupold but they work. They break and it gets fixed or you get a modern equivalent back