Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #31  
:) :) :)

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #32  
This is for wife's horse barn. She has to fill the heated watering tub for her hay-burners every couple days.
My goal is to stay away from any hose that has "increased restrictions" (kinks & the "scars" they leave after straightening), because the Campbell water hydrant we have in unheated barn has a tendency to eventually leak where the hydrant's stem exits the hydrant body and connects to the handle, despite repeated attempts at packing/sealing. A contributing cause of this leak is from whatever pressure is created downstream (hose) when hydrant is turned on.
Right now we are cutting a lot (3) of the kinks out and replacing them with splices.

I like the idea of flex hoses being compact and easy to carry to a heated space (house basement), but don't see this as everyday solution, maybe as a back-up.
I want to stay away from flex hoses as I assume it has a lot of flow restriction due to its nature.

Air compressor and blowing lines routine out would be too complicated for wife.

I think that beyond a good hose, one of the solutions might involve a good reel.
Right now when she pulls hose back into barn, she runs an end over a rafter and slowly pulls it over the rafter to drain as she coils it on floor. I think one of the problems might be when she pulls it back out next time, something in the coil snags or doesn't twist, etc...and a kink is formed.
So a reel might fix the unwinding problem, but I don't see a good way to drain the hose that would remain on the reel. I think we'd have to pull the hose completely off it every time and connect directly to hydrant.

I use about 300' of hose to periodically water our indoor riding arena. I've never had any luck with any splicing approach. The splice is weaker than the original hose, and it always leaks (for me). Once the hose has problems, I just have to throw it away.

I found that the soft and flexible rubber hoses kink easily. The harder plastic-like hoses are less likely to kink, but once they do, the kink tendency in that spot is permanent. I have the best luck with heavier duty rubber hoses that have medium flexibility.

I don't have a brand name, but they seem to change every time I need one.

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #33  
IMG_2779.JPG

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #34  
I buy all kinds of hose dirt cheap from Habitat for Humanity, mostly Home Depot Returns. The nicest hoses are soft and lay flat, hang up nice, and kink the worst. The heavy ornary ones don't kink but don't lay flat, don't hang up worth a crap and maintain their loop from being hung up, especially in the cold. What about a rubber air hose?

Side note. I was pretty much just using an orange garden hose this summer and it caused all manner of trouble with algae plugging up my sprinklers. Every time I went to use it. NEVER had that problem before. Is it the color?

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #35  
It was probably due to the fact that it was translucent and therefore the sunlight could get to the water in the hose. With most garden hoses, they are not translucent and thus they keep the algae from growing due to the sunlight. Much like storing water in a black tank rather than a clear or white tank.

Aaron Z

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #36  
I took a look at my best hose and unfortunately it doesn't have a name on it. The interesting thing is that it isn't round, it's hexagonal. It's moderately heavy and impossible to kink. It shows no signs of deterioration and is somewhere between 10 and 20 years old. If I could find another I would probably buy it. It's black rubber.

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #37  
Rubber, red or black! Built like a radiator hose, just smaller. I have 2- 50' Craftsman that are over 30 years old!
Learning how to handle a hose, no mater what type is a must as well. Hose, just like a rope or an extension cord has a "lay" to it that has to be respected when winding one up for storage. This requires a twist to each loop. Basic stuff but when your uncle is a sailor and I was a kid on his boat.......:laughing:

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #38  
There's a strong positive correlation to kinking and hose twist. Hand coiling is the primary cause of twist/kinking, the use of hose reels prevent that cause of kinking. I purchased 100 feet of black rubber hose 10 years from home depot and it still functions perfectly today, no permanent creases or anything like that. Don't twist it from hand coiling and it doesn't kink.

/ Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink
There's a strong positive correlation to kinking and hose twist. Hand coiling is the primary cause of twist/kinking, the use of hose reels prevent that cause of kinking. I purchased 100 feet of black rubber hose 10 years from home depot and it still functions perfectly today, no permanent creases or anything like that. Don't twist it from hand coiling and it doesn't kink.

Very true. A little study of the matter seems to reveal that every time you pull a loop off the (horizontal - laying on floor) coil, all the hose that you already have pulled off the coil needs to rotate a full revolution. This is easy when it's only 10' or 25' of hose, but eventually the weight of the extended hose doesn't allow the "un-twist action" to "propagate" the full length.
....I think a good reel is one of the answers.

Last edited:
   / Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink #40  
Was thinking this is a lawn and garden topic, but it's a farm, ranch, construction, everybody topic too...

Who makes best garden hose?
Least susceptible to kinking?

Don't care about weight.
Anybody ever use the wire reinforced hoses?

You can buy these on amazon

71ZoDbZvYGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• 1054.075.JPG
    1054.075.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 45